User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Saga Ends (*spoiler-free* discussion)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Saga Ends (*spoiler-free* discussion)
Page 5 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-09, 15:48

It does to a point. Most people who suffer from epilepsy know they do and know what triggers seizures, so they don't need to be told (or maybe they prefer to be so they can make wise decisions?)

Those who are more severely disabled and rely on a caregiver don't usually get to make that choice and need an informed person to make it for them. Thus, the warning does serve a useful purpose beyond just CYA. However, I have seen at least one person react to the most basic and otherwise subtle change and we simply learned not to take him to any movies.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-09, 16:02

I'm guessing it's pointing to some sort of Sith Lightning sequence, where - wait for it - Palpatine is zapping Rey (because she won't join him) as Kylo stands by his side. Kylo eventually takes pity on Rey, realizes he's become a monster, yells "noooooooo", picks up Palpatine and throws him down a reactor shaft thingie, again, and killing himself in the process. On their way out, he'll ask Rey to help him take off his ultimately pointless emo/poser helmet (unlike Vader's, it provides no life support or enhanced sensory capabilities, so yeah...pointless and poser-y) so he can look on her with his own eyes.*

Because it rhymes.

Or...

Rey, Just Because™, is suddenly, out of nowhere, blessed with Force Lightning abilities herself, and proceeds to take on the entire First Order, Palpatine, Snoke's ghost and whoever else shows up (Maul, bounty hunters, Hutts, Jawas, Greedo's grandson, Dooku's side piece, grouchy bartenders, etc.), single-handedly. And the entire third act of the thing is just her zapping the sauce out of people for about 45 minutes straight.

I can see either one of those scenarios playing out...

*I swear, if they do anything remotely close to that, my eyes will roll completely out of my head and I'll just have to pick them up off the floor, get up and leave. Sadly, you really can't even say the above in a joking/haha way because, deep down, part of you knows there's a solid 50/50 shot that's what J.J. has come up with.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-09, 16:05

Hey, you forgot the big family reveal on where Rey came from. It's going to be like a gender reveal but with more lightning.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-12-09 at 16:13. Reason: Edit: I had to edit this one because autocorrect did me no justice.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-09, 16:12

At this point, I can't imagine what they'll come up regarding Rey's lineage that isn't either a) the biggest "well, no kidding...the entire planet already assumed this in 2015" letdown in ever, OR b) the Stupidest, Most-Out-Of-Left-Field and Intelligence-Insulting 'Gotcha!' That Has Ever Occurred In Cinematic History™.

Again, with this bunch, I figure it's gotta be one of the two.

The obvious thing - that she's Han and Leia's daughter, sensibly accounting for her Force sensitivity and mechanical/piloting aptitude - apparently just made too much sense.

"No, we gotta Mystery Box it up, and drag it out for three movies!" - J.J.
¡Damned!

2019-12-09, 16:38

Or Luke and Leia's daughter. I mean, you're Force Twins and you never even thought about it?

*Brazzers logo*
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-09, 16:47

If you start inserting lightsaber jokes, I'm locking this thread!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-09, 16:49

Aaaaaaaand back to the movie.

Or …

Maybe baby Yoda from The Mandalorian is Yoda's long lost offspring and will show up to avenge his father or grandfather or something and have a dueling lightning battle with Palpatine?

Hey, could happen.

Hmm … maybe I should just merge the two threads and something something something …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-09, 17:00

At this point, being the final outing and with the people involved (Abrams, Kennedy, etc.), I can wholeheartedly believe the "hey, could happen" stance. There's no telling what off-the-wall, out-of-nowhere approach they'll attempt with this thing.

If we get out of this movie without time travel, clones, dual-alternate timelines or universes, bad dreams, major fake-outs (Han IS alive - he survived the stab, the fall and the planet exploding! - and he throws Rey his blaster when she needs it most!!), I'll eat my hat.

I don't trust these people...I just don't

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-09 at 17:14.
¡Damned!

2019-12-09, 17:03

There was a Yoda species female on the council in the prequels. Maybe they were banging green uglies and we just haven't put the two together until now?
¡Damned!

2019-12-09, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Hmm … maybe I should just merge the two threads and something something something …
Please no. The Mando thread is staying on topic nicely. This thread is bound to go off on, ahem, tangents.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-09, 17:17

Well, all of those things you just mentioned could happen and still follow "canon" or "legends" or whatever Disney wants to call the old stuff.

I mean, my favorite all-time Star Wars character is Ahsoka Tano and the only reason she is "still around" is some time-travel/parallel universe thing.

So those weird ideas have already been inserted. I mean, time travel gives lazy story tellers a way to fix complex problems that should never have been problems. You killed off a popular character and now the fans are angry, so you want that character back? Time travel*! Or maybe you could just realize that you either need to keep the character around, or kill them off for permanently reasons!

I mean, just deal with your story telling already. Please don't Star Trek Star Wars! Time travel has long been established canon within the Star Trek universe, but it was only inserted into Star Wars within the halls of Star Wars Rebels to save an obviously outmatched Tano from the vastly superior Vader. She either should not have been written into the part, or she should have died at the hands of her master (just another reason to hate evil!). To use Time Travel™ is just a lazy way to save a very popular character lazy writer from his/her mistakes.

*Coming soon to a Walking Dead near you!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-09, 17:17

Yeah, please keep these threads separate. So far I've not had to hate The Mandalorian, and I'd prefer to confine/limit those particular thoughts and emotions to this thread. Favreau and Filoni seem to be in a different league, and I've yet to have the urge to choke anyone involved with the show. You know, the complete opposite of Episode IX.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-09, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Please no. The Mando thread is staying on topic nicely. This thread is bound to go off on, ahem, tangents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, please keep these threads separate.
Silly children. I'm not going to merge Teh Awesome with the, um, Wait-And-See-Wasteland, Episode Umpty-Million, Return of the Skywalker-Palpatine Love Child
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-12-11, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Well this is interesting. If the effects are so over the top that it will trigger seizures then I'm not sure what to think of this one. I'm not epileptic, but that just screams of over-the-top-because-we-can effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Nah, nothing new to see here. That warning is published by every studio any time there are sudden or flashing changes in light. It's a "protect our asses from lawsuits" thing that has been around for years. This is just getting attention because it's Star Wars. Epilepsy is a real thing and the industry knows that their movies can cause issues, so they all warn about it.
So I have an epileptic parent and have been just been evaluated for epilepsy myself. Yes, there are some movies that are warned for just as a CYA. However, Disney tends to only warn for theirs this publicly when it's substantial risk. Note that the Incredibles 2 epilepsy warning happened after public awareness outcry for how significant the scenes there were. So this warning coming out beforehand makes me think it's gonna be more an Incredibles style issue than the other SW movies. And that concerns me, because one of the incidents I had that looked like an absence seizure happened during the red Maw sequence in Solo...so I'm feeling nervy about going. I'm still going, I'm just hissy.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-11, 23:14

As someone without epilepsy and zero experience (no friends or relatives afflicted), do you know if a situation is coming on? If you were watching TROS and some flashing or whatever started, do you have time to avert your gaze or close your eyes or whatever, or is the response immediate? In other words, if you see Palpatine raise his hands and some flashing lightning (I'm assuming this is the sort of stuff those warnings are about?) start coming out, is there time to protect yourself from any flashing type effects/stimuli if you do it quick enough? Or is it "once it starts, too late"?

Sorry for a stupid question, but I have no background in this.

I remember a notice posted on the box office window for Cloverfield back in 2008, warning about possible motion sickness/nausea from all the handheld, "amateur" camera footage capturing the event. I think that was the first time I'd ever seen such a notice posted at a movie theater. I kinda went into it a little edgy only because I get car sick like nobody's business (if I'm not driving, I have to sit in the passenger seat and concentrate 100% on the road, otherwise... ). To my surprise, the movie didn't bother me (I actually saw it twice in the theater, with no negative effects). But I do know people who get very queasy/puke-prone at shaky, quick-cut footage in some movies and they always take those warnings seriously (my Dad got sick as a dog during one of those Bourne movies years ago, during some chase/fight sequence; he wasn't right for an hour or two afterwards).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-12, 12:48

I was thinking about this earlier today and I was just wondering if...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
...based on the frequency in which I see both of these two on commercial breaks lately, I assume Kristen Bell and Anna Kendrick will have roles in Episode IX? Everyone seems to be hiring them, so why would Disney/Lucasfilm be any different? I'd love to get through a day without seeing/hearing either of these dingbats, but it's simply not possible.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-12-12, 19:05

I can't talk for everyone, scates. For my mother it's usually too late. For me, I've only had a few suspected ones and I have enough time to tug a hoodie down over my eyes if I need. I've got the ammo in my pocket of an Australian friend who should be seeing it a few hours before me who's promised to text me context clues of where in the movie it'll happen so I can have some prewarn.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-12, 19:13

That’s good.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-12, 19:20

It is definitely a good public service to announce these things. Also, there are people out there who are just plain bothered by lots of motion effects and flashy stuff who can take warning that this may not be for them, or to wait until it comes out on DVD so they can watch in a lit room.

My guess is they have an expert watch the film and make the call.

From the trailers, it appears there are lots of dark regions in the movie that likely have blasters and light sabers and force lightning and big BOOM! I have to wait and see, but I don't see hwo that bit is any different from any other SW movie. BUT! It is JJ Abrams, so expect lens flares out the wazoo!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-13, 07:28

One week away.

BTW, I sure do find it interesting that ever since episode #2 (The Child), The Mandalorian has aired new episodes on Fridays (November 15, 22, 29, then December 6, 13 and the final one on December 27.

However, one episode, next week, is airing on Wednesday, December 18.. I’ve already talked about this, but what I didn’t realize until this morning that this was a deviation. I assumed every episode was released on a Wednesday, or even just randomly throughout the week (since streaming TV doesn’t have to adhere to traditional scheduling, etc.).

But no, they’ve all been Friday releases except next week. : Maybe their thinking is “nobody’s gonna be home to watch it”, but I’m not buying it. There’s a reason beyond scheduling/overlap...

I’m now more convinced than ever there’s a reason for this, story/plot wise. Some reveal or payoff between the two. Our little baby frog has a direct bearing on Palpatine’s return in some way (Force-healing mojo, etc.). Next week’s episode could be very interesting and contain a neat “aha!!” moment that might make all this stuff actually seem a bit planned/thought out?

We’ll see...I’m gonna die on this hill, come next week. I’ll either look pretty cool and dialed-in, or like a complete flake-pot spouting additional “fan theory” drivel the world doesn’t need. Could go either way. p

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-13 at 10:48.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-13, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Next week’s episode could be very interesting and contain a neat “aha!!” moment that might make all this stuff actually seem a bit planned/thought out?p
Makes sense to me. However, you might watch #7 and learn absolutely nothing until you also watch Episode IX immediately afterword. Is it possible that one does not make sense without the other?

Or, how about this: What if the adventures of Mando and Force McFrog lead them to Endor (or wherever those Death star bits are at) and their random exploration/escaping lead them to Force McFrog using his little force powers to move some random thing that releases Palpatine from some captive space, physical, metaphysical, or other?

Something like that would drive zillions of fans into theaters!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-13, 13:25

Entirely possible. I’m expecting something. Big or small, subtle or hammer-on-the-head. The timing, overlap and plotting is just too aligned and teed up, IMO. This Mando show could've been kicked off 2-3 weeks early, or after the new year. Premiering, and airing it, to where the next to final episode hits two days before the final saga chapter hits is just a little on-the-nose in my book.

Again, Palpatine's return, in whatever form it takes, needs to be satisfactorily explained. Scientist types seeking this Force-sensitive child decades earlier could very well be tied to that...and that's what I'm gonna believe until I'm shown otherwise in the multiplex, 10 or so days from now.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-13 at 16:03.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-13, 15:52

Or how about this:

There is absolutely zero connection whatsoever, and Disney's Applenova spy is laughing at us!

Trolls!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-13, 15:53

I think there shouldn't be a connection. I mean, isn't the goal to move away from the Sywalkers? Surely the galaxy has more family to make shows and movies about.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-13, 16:04

Yes, and they'll be doing so after this one.

This movie opening next week is the end of this saga, so...that'll be it. And this show's first season is winding down as well (one week after the movie opens). Season 2 could be set sometime later (months, years), with completely different side characters, jobs, locations, etc. But until Episode IX ends, and this first season of The Mandalorian wraps up, everything is fair game and possible. It's their final opportunity to play in this particular sandbox, so I'm open to all sorts of possibilities (until it's time not to be).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-14, 18:08

On a related note, Episode II: Attack of the Clones is currently on TNT. Holy smokes, this movie hasn't aged well at all.

I mean, it was pretty dismal in 2002 (writing, acting, plot, visuals, excessive - and iffy - CG, etc.) but it's damn near painful to watch now, 17 years on...I've given it about 20 minutes and I think I'm reaching the end of my endurance/patience. The entire plot of this thing - and how clueless everyone (Bail Organa, Yoda, Padme, the Jedi Council, etc.) is about what's going on - is just asking soooo much of the viewer.

And Threepio? Why did he suddenly become such a lame, heavy-handed quipster here, in just this one movie? He's always been annoying comic relief/exposition machine, but in this one movie he's like Howie Mandel or Paul Reiser.

Don't get me wrong, it's still Citizen Kane or Dog Day Afternoon next to The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi, but still...yikes.

All these prequels really did, big picture, was alert everyone to how much of an creepy, unlikable (and complete pussy) Darth Vader was in his younger days. Like I said, it hasn't aged well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-14, 22:18

Ahh, and now the 1977 movie is starting on TNT.

To this day, 42+ years, later my pulse still quickens and my eyes mist up at that first orchestral blast and the yellow "Star Wars" logo appearing/receding into space. A million wonderful memories that sound/visual brings back! Powerful stuff. And those opening 4-5 minutes - the "here's all you need to know, enjoy!" crawl, the Star Destroyer filling the screen, etc. - never gets old.

I've seen this thing 50+ times over the decades, and I'll sit here tonight, and watch it again.

I love this movie, and, in recent years, more so than The Empire Strikes Back. They're both great, but this one is just pure, simple joy. I sometimes have to be in a certain mood to watch/enjoy TESB (or ROTJ), but this one I can watch anytime, any mood, etc. Never fails to entertain and thrill me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-14, 22:53

“Luke’s just not a farmer, Owen...he has too much of his father in him.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

*chills*

What a difference three years made, huh? In 1977 nobody, maybe including Lucas, knew how well that line would eventually play after we learned what we learned in 1980. Planned or not, I love that exchange. It means so much more after TESB, of course.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-15, 21:54

This movie has its official premiere tomorrow in front of the industry crowd, etc. in L.A. tomorrow (Monday, December 16).

Since leaks/spoilers could emerge from this in the next 24-48 hours, the following is going to be my final post in this thread until after December 20 (as it stands now, I'll probably wind up seeing this next Monday or Tuesday (December 23 or 24), we'll see. If I get dragged to any earlier, I'll return sooner (maybe, if my eyes haven't rolled completely out of my head).

As I've said earlier, a few weeks ago, I have stayed spoiler-free (no rumor/leak sites, no watching neckbeard YouTube stuff regarding "leaks", etc.). All I've seen/heard are officially-released teasers, trailers and these recent 15-second TV/web spots. That's it.

So, with only those things to go by (along with the events of the other movies, pre- and post- 2015 and just my overall opinion of how these things will likely go), I'm laying out my official predictions below, for the record. We'll see in about another 7-10 days how right, or horrifyingly wrong, I was on it all. I honestly think I'll score a solid 50-75%, but we'll see...

In no particular order, just as I think of things, big picture...

- Gonna be as much of a "soft remake" of Return of the Jedi as The Force Awakens was of the 1977 original...idiotically so, at times (the height of laziness and fan-service chain yanking; it's J.J. Abrams...so let's not delude ourselves into believing otherwise)

- Lando winds up regaining ownership of the Falcon by the end of the movie (Chewie? See below)

- There will be at least one Ewok scene (Wicket/Warwick Davis)...remember, this is ROTJ take 2

- Force lightning, lots of it, including some from an unexpected source (Rey)

- Threepio's red eyes have to do with programming/reset/alternate "protocol" mode (not somehow becoming an evil "Sith droid"); that's a classic trailer fake-out to make it look more ominous and WTF?! than it really is

- Leia dies (Han, Luke and so why not?) Makes production easier, the earlier she goes...not being cruel, just realistic/practical; CGI only gets you so far and nobody wants to be staring at Carrie's uncanny valley for two-plus hours...

- A who's who of saga-wide Force ghosts will surely appear at some point (Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Luke, possibly Leia if she winds up dying), either as a big group or individually throughout, as Rey needs inspiration or enlightenment; I'm thinking Luke may appear more than a few times, visually or voice, since that's her true link/connection to all this stuff and he'll need to be there to guide her

- Chewie hangs it up and "retires" back to his planet/family by the end...he's put in all these years of fighting/sacrifice, he's done being someone's sidekick/wingman; this will be the only genuine tear-jerker in the movie for many (I'm almost crying just thinking about it).

- Rey is a Skywalker, and why it took them three movies to confirm this is beyond me; surely she's Han and Leia's daughter (which means I hope she and Kylo don't accidentally get it on at some point because that isn't going to fly twice; we overlooked all that business in 1983, don't ask us to do it again).

- Kylo dies; he's beyond redemption and, despite J.J.'s presence, I'd like to think they're not going to go the ROTJ "redemption" moment route, again; he's killed too many good people to come back from that. While he may have a small "hero" moment/death in him, even if it's just tossing a saber or something along those lines, I just can't picture him "turning good" after everything; I think "Ben Solo" is long gone, which may bear on Leia's fate/role in some way...

- Palpatine isn't in true body form; it'll be some sort of weird glowing spirit/clone/ghost mumbo-jumbo (the reason we've yet to see him in any trailers or marketing material)

- Related to that, the little Baby Green Frog from the Mandalorian winds up being part of the reason for his return...extracted Force-healing/ghosting mojo decades prior leads scientists or Sith devotees to conjure up some Palpatine + Frankenstein abomination

- Finn lives, Poe lives. And no, they don't make out or declare their love for one another

- Rose lives, nobody gives a shit

- At least two fake-out/rug-pull "deaths" (Poe, Chewie, etc.).

- Hux dies, as do all the First Order bigwigs; but before that, Hux will have some weird twist/angle to it because it's been pretty useless and played a bit too broadly all this time, leading me to believe that there has to be something more (he's the offspring of someone famous, or he'll reveal something really big; he just seems to have been wasted for two movies, but his rank/position puts him in a position, as a foil/adversary to Kylo, to throw a wrench into things in some way. I don't think he's a traitor or anything along those lines, but I don't fully buy him as a all-out, true evil villain either (I just don't think he's 100% on board with the Kylo/Snoke/First Order stuff); I started thinking this in The Last Jedi, from a couple of things he said/did, and the look on his face in a few scenes; he may prove to be one of the more interesting parts to all this, just from how utterly underused he's been so far; they've saved it for something, I truly believe

- If all these ships are returning, lined up behind the Falcon in the trailer, then we're going to see some familiar ones, from all eras of the saga...some more obscure than others, some big crowd pleasers (Slave 1, etc.). The occupants of a few of them may make for a genuine "holy crap!" moment; a familiar face/character or two putting in a final appearance

- Han Solo/Harrison Ford appears (yes, it's the stupidest thing ever, but, again, it's J.J...I put nothing past him and his fan-service desires; whether it's a dream sequence, flashback or "vision", he'll appear; I'd like to think he wouldn't be a glowing blue Force ghost (for dozens of reasons), but, again, you never can tell with this bunch. And as one final J.J.-ism, his appearance/presence won't be explained in any reasonable way...it'll just "happen", Just Because™; we'll just have to figure it out, fill in the blanks, fan-theory it to death, etc.

- Anakin most certainly has to appear, either with the other Force ghosts or in some sort of final acknowledgement/torch pass to Rey (the start of the saga, the end of the saga). Sebastian Shaw is long dead, and the pedo-leering Anakin is apparently canon now, so look for Hayden Christensen...robed, glowing, blue and still unable to act

- BB8 remains with Rey, as Artoo did with Luke all those years; that's her droid/sidekick now

- Lando will be used mostly as comic relief, and they'll play up the "smooth hustler"/ladies man aspect (there will be some cringe-y reference to that whole droid-banging thing, unfortunately). He lives, BTW

- Tatooine, twin suns (likely the very final scene, with someone - or several someones - staring into the sunset before iris-out)...I'm guessing Rey and BB8, with or without some blue-glowing company...

Okay, I believe that does it. I'll return to this thread in another 7-10 days...I'm just afraid to visit this thread starting tomorrow, in case someone hears/sees something from the premiere tomorrow and forgets to put it in a spoiler tag. I do want to go into this final movie truly unspoiled/clean!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-15, 22:28

Love it!

Glad to have you back, and chat at you about it in a week or ten.