User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Advice on TV audio for hard-of-hearing gramps...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advice on TV audio for hard-of-hearing gramps...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-24, 17:36

Here's the deal: my grandfather is pretty hard of hearing. His eyes aren't so hot either, but my Mom and uncles recently went in on a 50" Panasonic widescreen TV and now, for the first time in years, he can actually see and enjoy TV. What I'd like to do is enhance this a bit because he has to sit on the very end of the couch, very close to the TV just to hear it (yeah, he's got a hearing aid and it does help).

However, he's got his "chair" on the other side of the room and would rather sit there and hear the TV.

So here's my question:

Does a SIMPLE, straightforward product exist like the following: a single speaker that could be plugged into one of the many jacks on the rear of the TV that would let him sit back, across the room, and simply hear the audio from the TV?

Knowing who I'm talking to, let me stress a few things so this doesn't wander off into an A/V wet dream discussion...

1. SIMPLE being the operative word (literally, he can just turn the speaker on from his chair and instant sound)
2. Straightforward and easy-to-set-up and use
3. No overkill surround system with woofer this and mid-channel that.
4. See #1 again...

We're talking an 83-year-old guy here who simply wants to be able to hear the news, Weather Channel, CMT, a few TV shows, the races on Sunday, etc. better than he currently can.

Ideally, here's what I imagine (you tell me if it exists):

A speaker with a volume knob on it (maybe turning the volume all the way down clicks it "off" also?). Something that we could run the wiring from the TV, up under the house, come out behind his easy chair and set on the table beside his good (left) ear. And I'm not opposed to a wireless solution either, IF they adhere to #'s 1 and 2 above...

Also, for the sake of company or fellow viewers, this product shouldn't cut the sound from the main TV speakers either.

Help me out, guys. You'll have my sincere gratitude and you'll be helping out the most important guy in my life.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-08-24, 18:05

Have you tried wireless headphones? We gave my grandfather(same age, same problems) a pair that just had a simple volume dial and switch it worked great. It uses two AA batteries, which he buys at Costco in bulk(I think 100 at time). I took a trip up there and plugged it into the back of his TV(I used the RCA output), and now he has his own headphones while other people still can hear the speakers.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-26, 19:55

Well, we found a great solution.

He was adamant about not wanting earphones or anything he had to "put on" or whatever. So tonight I was at Best Buy and saw the above for $99 ($50 less than listed at RCA's site).

Anyway, I got them for him, went to his house and had it set up in 5 minutes. Easy as pie. He's happy as a clam because now he can listen to the news. They sound really nice. Not tinny at all. I had him repeating back some dialog from "This Old House", and he did it verbatim.

Best $99 I ever spent, I guess.

We plugged one in the wall, beside his easy chair. I put 4 "D" batteries in the other one and placed it on a shelf in the kitchen, so he could hear the TV while doing dishes or making a meal. The range is incredible, I walked out into the front yard and nearly across the street before I got any static/break-up. So his house is more than covered. That battery-driven one, he can take with him anywhere in the house...I tried it in every room.

So, problem solved. This thread didn't exactly take off as I'd expected...

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-26, 20:00

lol, that's exactly what i was going to suggest. nm though.