AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova Town Hall & Post Office

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Town Hall & Post Office
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-05, 08:02

So, last night we burned the White House.

Kraetos convinced me that he wants to repurpose the shell as a town hall for Bridgeport, but I think he just wanted to watch me immolate my first pride and joy.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 09:04

A town hall is a good idea. Tearing down the front columns so it looks less like the White House? Maybe adding a rotunda and dome?

Fun stuff!
arteggio

2011-04-05, 09:24

I liked the town hall idea too when kraetos mentioned it yesterday.

WIll it actually be functional though? Shall players convene for events on important community decisionmaking?

I thought a room dedicated to signs might be a good place to share random messages to each other, maybe even with chests for sharing items with specific players in one localized area. All as sort of mail/PO Box system, with a signs-&-chest cubby for each player.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-05, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Is there a hosket rink yet?
Yes - north east, in the frozen tundra.

Town hall would be sweet - it would be awesome to get out entire MC community on there... Speaking of which, sorry I haven't been active in the last month or two. I'd like to come up with a nice plan to redesign my place but I'm clearly not as imaginative as some of the rest of you...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-05, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
I thought a room dedicated to signs might be a good place to share random messages to each other, maybe even with chests for sharing items with specific players in one localized area. All as sort of mail/PO Box system, with a signs-&-chest cubby for each player.
Ooooh. The more I think about it, I like this a lot better. I doubt we'd ever really use the town hall for decision making procedures since casual chatting and forums posts are both more practical. A combination post office and bulletin board might make for much better use of the building, at least for part of it.

I'm picturing each of us having a small room or section of wall that people can stick signs in/on. This would be a great way to post small messages to someone offline when you don't need to blast it to the forums. Stick a chest in each room for trading items like you said, and we're good, so long as we continue to have faith in the honor system.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Ooooh. The more I think about it, I like this a lot better. I doubt we'd ever really use the town hall for decision making procedures since casual chatting and forums posts are both more practical. A combination post office and bulletin board might make for much better use of the building, at least for part of it.

I'm picturing each of us having a small room or section of wall that people can stick signs in/on. This would be a great way to post small messages to someone offline when you don't need to blast it to the forums. Stick a chest in each room for trading items like you said, and we're good, so long as we continue to have faith in the honor system.
The town hall has already been furnished. We could, however, build up?

However, the more that I think about it, this building needs to be big. There needs to be relatively large rooms for 12-15 people, if not more. Maybe I should just build a Bridgeport post office?

Speaking of the town hall: clocktower instead of dome for roof?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-05, 13:22

Perhaps the postoffice could be put in/next to the communal exchange?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Speaking of the town hall: clocktower instead of dome for roof?
It's not a proper town hall unless it has a clock tower. Haven't you seen Back to the Future?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-05, 14:10

Quote:
The town hall has already been furnished.
BURN IT.

Seriously, though, I'm much more interested in the practical option of having a post office/BBS at the heart of town than a building with large meeting rooms that we'll never fill. If everyone else feels otherwise, though, I'll let it be.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 14:16

Quote:
BURN IT.

Seriously, though, I'm much more interested in the practical option of having a post office/BBS at the heart of town than a building with large meeting rooms that we'll never fill. If everyone else feels otherwise, though, I'll let it be.
Somehow I knew you would be down for burning it. How about we leave the first floor and build up? I could put all the post-officey stuff in there. Then it would be a combination Town Hall/Post Office. And it would be a lot taller which is always fun.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 15:56

Okay. The more I think about it the more I absolutely love the post office idea. But the more I think about it, I can't shoehorn it into the white house/town hall. It's too small and pretty.

I need to make this a large expansive skyscraper, out of either smooth stone or cobble. (leaning towards smoothstone.) There should be room for it either near the skyway staircase, or, between the pub and the bong. Either way I could integrate skyway access.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 16:00

Do we really need huge rooms for personal PO boxes? I don't know, just asking. Seems like a little 4x6 room with a double-chest or two and wallspace would suffice. But have at it if you're so inclined. I call the 13th floor!!!

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-05, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Do we really need huge rooms for personal PO boxes? I don't know, just asking. Seems like a little 4x6 room with a double-chest or two and wallspace would suffice. But have at it if you're so inclined. I call the 13th floor!!!
No need for a giant tower post office.

At all...

At most we will be exchanging less than a double wide worth of precious material -- any more than that, i think it is unfair for the donor to walk it to the postoffice in multiple trips.

A room with x number of double chests, where X is the number of players active, who want a box, is perfectly reasonable.

There are high efficiency routes to doing this. Ideally it would be in a basement, where boxes can be put into the ground to save space.
¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 16:34

Well, I don't think we need a monster PO either - especially with land in Bridgeport at prime right now with new players - but far be it from me to call that one.

So, no objections to my land grab? Imma start building the footings if nobody pipes up here soon.

So it goes.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
No need for a giant tower post office.

At all...
There's no "need" for a lot of things in Bridgeport. It's fun to build big things!

I was thinking, 709, that each PO room would be even smaller. 4x4. Each room would have a double chest and be plastered with signs for leaving messages. But with two block wide halls and four rooms per floor that means that the building's footprint is 11x11. But, at four rooms per floor, we need at least six floors. So while we could transform the former White House, I'd rather leave the exterior of the White House/town hall alone (except for a possible clock tower), since the White House is one of Bridgeport's historic landmarks.

[double edit] I'm just gonna build it behind the Tavern, since I know its free and not in the way, but still near the skyway.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-04-05 at 17:25.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-05, 17:36

Quote:
There's no "need" for a lot of things in Bridgeport. It's fun to build big things!

I was thinking, 709, that each PO room would be even smaller. 4x4. Each room would have a double chest and be plastered with signs for leaving messages. But with two block wide halls and four rooms per floor that means that the building's footprint is 11x11. But, at four rooms per floor, we need at least six floors. So while we could transform the former White House, I'd rather leave the exterior of the White House/town hall alone (except for a possible clock tower), since the White House is one of Bridgeport's historic landmarks.

[double edit] I'm just gonna build it behind the Tavern, since I know its free and not in the way, but still near the skyway.
I can no more stop you than I can anyone else. It's just that I find towers mostly ugly monstrosities. Hell an 11x11 tower is pencil thin, and thus even more hideous, and I suspect the purpose would be better served with a more open design...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-05, 17:58

Also count me as another vote against a giant post office. I was picturing something small enough to maybe even fit on one floor of the old White House. I can't imagine each user having a whole chest for every other user. That's just silly.

Not all projects should have to be huge in scale. Bigger is not always better. I think some of the small scale projects actually turn out the best. I loved Bonn's old BP house for example even though it may have been "small" by some standards. Same goes for my old White House.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-05, 18:02

Quote:
Also count me as another vote against a giant post office. I was picturing something small enough to maybe even fit on one floor of the old White House.
If each room is 2x3, the math on that works out pretty well. I hadn't realized how many little rooms I could fit in there. I'll get right on it.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-07, 12:04

So, the post office is basically done, I'm just waiting for a fresh crop from my tree farm to make tons of signs and chests for the mailrooms.

Right now there are 18 mailboxes on the second floor. I think that should be enough, but there are an extra six on the first floor if not. Speaking of the first floor, I don't know what to do with it. I could make more mailboxes out of it, but I'd rather make it look pretty since we already have enough mailboxes. Maybe a little sitting area and a desk for the postmaster general.

OOH! I just realized what I can use the downstairs for.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-07, 12:24

Lighting it up would be nice. I was attacked by a skeleton in there the other day. I took it out and was mostly uninjured.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-07, 14:41

Good news everyone! We now have a functional post office! Here's how it works: on the first floor is a directory. Go in and claim a mailbox. (1-18). Add your name to the sign on the directory (downstairs) and the box itself (upstairs.)

If you want to leave someone an item or a message, use their mailbox upstairs. If you so choose, flip the corresponding redstone torch downstairs so they know they have new mail!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-07, 15:48

Quote:
Good news everyone! We now have a functional post office! Here's how it works: on the first floor is a directory. Go in and claim a mailbox. (1-18). Add your name to the sign on the directory (downstairs) and the box itself (upstairs.)

If you want to leave someone an item or a message, use their mailbox upstairs. If you so choose, flip the corresponding redstone torch downstairs so they know they have new mail!
w00t w00t

I took Box #13.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-07, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
w00t w00t

I took Box #13.
I snagged box #8 and grey just took box #3. I figure we should save #1 for Brad and probably #2 for turtle as the server-God (and then Mrs. Turtle could take box #11 which is right across from #2) but other than that it's first come serve

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-07, 17:19

I'd love to have #16!!

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-07, 18:15

I took 2, #1 is still open.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-07, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I agree that we should save #1 for Brad (thanks again for the map d00d!) As for turtle, maybe he could take #10? It's an equally convenient location, since it's at the beginning of the hall and such, and then if Mrs. Turtle took #11 their boxes could be next to each other.
They've already claimed boxes. You and Brad are mail neighbors!

Also, you have mail.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-07, 23:17

Quote:
They've already claimed boxes. You and Brad are mail neighbors!

Also, you have mail.
That's what I get for not being able to play during primetime. Durr!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-08, 01:17

The Post Office is repurposed from my old White House in Bridgeport, near center:

Quote:
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-08, 01:22

Ha!! Found the Post Office already AND figured out how to make my PO Box!!
Thanks Brad!! And Nice work to Kraetos and anyone else who helped make it.
Btw, why is there running water in a closet in the building?
Was that part of the original design?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2011-04-08 at 01:35.
¡Damned!

2011-04-08, 09:09

Woohoo! My first mail is a ..... slimeball!?

Did Rowdy get the message I left for him in the chest?