AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 2 of 49 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-12-18, 18:24

Oh you guys SUCK...

I avoided WoW.

I avoided Gears.

I avoided pretty much every fun shared event of the last few years because I don't have time, and then you pull this shit?

You are dead to me.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-18, 19:23

Have you looked into Amazon's cloud services to host the server? They're giving bandwidth away for their smaller instances. I've got it for my CDN on my website and it's been free. I think you can get a "micro" instance for free. That's 613 megs of RAM. I'm poking around right now to see what I can find about doing it. Even if we had to pay some, I'm sure it'd be cheaper than what Linode costs.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-18, 20:22

Looking good! I just wish that coal (and flint!) was slightly more abundant - or that there was another means of making torches. Back down the pit for me, I guess.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-18, 21:51

For shits and giggles I set up a minecraft server on Amazon's EC2 service. The IP is 204.236.212.174 if anyone wants to give it a try. I'm not planning on keeping this server running but I just wanted to see how it worked. I'm thinking about setting up a server for me and my brothers-in-law for Xmas presents. Totally geeky.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-18, 22:52

Ok, here's Amazon's Free tier info. http://aws.amazon.com/free/

You get 750 hours/month for CPU time. I think if you've got only one instance running, that should be all you need to get through. 613 megs of RAM. 5 gigs of storage and 15 gigs of bandwidth. All free for the first year.

After that, it goes to $0.02/hour for the time the instance is running (about $14/month) unless you prepay for the year and then it's only $54/year. This is all for their "micro" EC2 service.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-18, 23:53

New IP for the server, if anyone's interested in seeing how an EC2 instance would perform: 184.73.72.136

At the very least, a load test would be nice to see.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-19, 02:40

I now have a small base, thanks to Brad rescuing me from a shitton of Spiders and Creepers when I got caught at night.. There are plans with the desert by my base for some epic. Brad is aware of them. Anyone who finds the sign with the name of the desert may be able to guess at the win to be located therein! My little dirt mound with fencing doesn't yet have a sign with my name, but it will when I get a chance to make one. Also, there is a daytime zombie there who is stuck in a pond and can't catch on fire, LOL!

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-19, 02:57

RowdyScot is now playing as Mega Man.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-19, 03:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Oh you guys SUCK...

Give in to the 'craft. How else were you going to spend your nights and weekends? Work and family can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Have you looked into Amazon's cloud services to host the server? They're giving bandwidth away for their smaller instances. I've got it for my CDN on my website and it's been free. I think you can get a "micro" instance for free. That's 613 megs of RAM. I'm poking around right now to see what I can find about doing it. Even if we had to pay some, I'm sure it'd be cheaper than what Linode costs.
Hmmm... not a bad idea. I might look into this, but this would mean a hostname other than "applenova.com" which kinda sucks. So far, the Linode setup has actually been working surprisingly well. We have five simultaneous users on earlier and it didn't hiccup once. I'm tempted to bump it to 7 or 9 allowed users to see where we hit a limit.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

¡Damned!

2010-12-19, 14:20

Hmm. I might log in around run around for a bit. Not sure if I have the time right now to start creating anything.

Jasoco

2010-12-19, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
When did youtube start doing obnoxious pre-roll ads?
When the person who put the video up gets enough views they sign up to make money off of it. YouTube wants me to enroll because of the video I put up of my Google ChromeOS notebook review.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-19, 20:52

I'm not going to name names, but somebody just set half the world on fire. Pics coming soon.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-19, 20:55

*sheepish*

tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-12-19, 21:05

I take it there's no FDMC.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-19, 21:10

So now paradise looks more like hell? How did this happen?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-19, 21:12

Oh, pictures are coming. I'm laughing hard over here. I had to use TNT to blast away the spreading edge of the fire.

I started what I thought would be a controlled burn to clear away leaves from trees that people had harvested trunks but left up, but I missed trimming ONE TREE at the edge and, whoosh, there goes half the map.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-19, 21:21

Well I figured I'd get it just in case, before the upgrade. Downloaded now.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-12-19, 21:24

I think I am a Minecraft voyeur. This little incident has me giggling away here too, and I've not even played yet. I remember the video that went round the geek net a while ago when a guy burnt his whole house down. And the one posted earlier in this thread with the two n00bs trying to make it through their first day had me in fits of laughter.

I didn't realise you could dump maps of worlds. That is really cool.

Love the sky bridge too! How long did that take to make?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-19, 21:39

The bridge took a couple of hours, give or take - it's tedious work, moving carefully on the edge of each block to place the next row while trying not to fall off.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-19, 21:50

I remember seeing a "life-size" model of the USS Enterprise floating around the interwebs... I was impressed.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-19, 23:29

Server full! Oh noes!

I had great plans to finish the mass transit system - especially now that the skyway seems to go to Mushroom Mountain too.

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-12-20, 00:00

Good thing you got that fire to stop, Brad! Was it hard getting to the end quickly enough to use the TNT?

Also, I noticed some lights at the bottom of the map. Something like a fortress. Who's is that?

Also, I built a ridiculously tall viewing platform on the top of one of the pillars of my glass platform. It gives an amazing view and is fully lit so no darkness there. You all are welcome to go up. There's a ladder. I put most of the fence up, but it's not even a big deal since you can just into the water even from that height and not lose any lives! YMMV. There's also a ladder from the water up to the main platform at that same pillar. I'm going to build a similar platform above the clouds... Tower of Babel? How high can we go??? We'll find out. ROFL.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-20, 00:03

I thought it was a diving platform, at least that's what I used it for.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-20, 00:18

LOL!! I haven't tried going there yet but am enjoying the HECK out of reading this thread... keep it up!

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-12-20, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I thought it was a diving platform, at least that's what I used it for.
It's fun, huh? I'll be sure to allow you guys to dive from above the clouds once it's ready...

I'm telling you guys, the fun in this game is the multiplayer. I bought it and started a singleplayer map just to see how the game functions. I always intended to only work on the multiplayer map. It's just so fun seeing what you guys built. I was so buy with my platform that I didn't even notice SpecMode going crazy on his SkyCorridor. And now I see that some other crazy bridge/corridor has been built along the edge of the water...

Something new every day (Minecraft time...). I don't think I'll be able to fully keep up with everyone else's things until I'm done with my own crap. Maybe I'll have a few days of just exploring and no building.

We really need to name all the peaks and bodies of water. I hereby name the lava pit "Mordor Springs." I hereby name the ocean in front of my glass platform ............... Hmmm. I don't know yet. I do know that I want to make the immediate area near our settlements only one layer deep of water so we can all just wade in it without drowning. Is that okay for your boat house, Brad?

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 02:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Hmm. I might log in around run around for a bit. Not sure if I have the time right now to start creating anything.
12 hours later....

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-20, 02:32

We're going to have to start a zoning committee for building permits.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 02:37

I found out the hard way that there's a HUGE cave system with underground waterfalls under Fire Mountain. Little did I know that touching a running river underground would sweep me into the bowels of the thing to pitch black. Luckily as I was being swirled around I was able to stick a torch on a rock a get my bearings. It took me an hour or so to dig my way up back to the surface, but I saw lots of coal and gold...and way too many bottomless pits. I lit the place up pretty good to scare off the baddies. One of the deeper pits has a lava waterfall too. Pretty cool.

I made an entrance of sorts where I finally broke the surface. Kind of excited to explore it further.

Also, I really need to figure out where the fuck I'm situated on the map. I can't see anyone from the top of the tower.

So it goes.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-20, 02:43

I think I've played Minecraft more in the last few days than I've played every other game, combined, over the last few years. It's pretty addictive.

I hear tell that there'll be an updated world map posted soon...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 02:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Server full! Oh noes!
FWIW, earlier today I ratcheted up the allowed simultaneous users from 5 to 7 and we still seem to be going along alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelmerguy View Post
Good thing you got that fire to stop, Brad! Was it hard getting to the end quickly enough to use the TNT?
I was running like a madman to try to get them out. And to make matters worse, I was running and laying down and igniting the TNT at night while being attacked by mobs in the total dark (because I was *ahead* of the flames, not in them). Terribly difficult and frightening since I didn't have a backup plan, but it worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelmerguy View Post
Also, I noticed some lights at the bottom of the map. Something like a fortress. Who's is that?
That's bbsky's "Mushroom Mountain".