Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 4 of 49 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Previously, if you left items in the 2x2 crafting square in your inventory when closing that window, they stayed there, allowing you to have 4 extra inventory slots. Now, that square acts like workbenches, in that items left in there get thrown when closing the inventory.
BOOOOOOOOOO. That's going to make it a pain in the ass when exploring and making torches. I always leave a stack of coal and sticks up there so I can just click-click-click to get a fresh stack of torches.

PS. I saw you guys talking about stealing from my stash!

PPS. Regarding making the bar from gold, I used some gold and TNT in my underground test chamber and found that gold blocks are as strong as smooth stone and brick when it comes to explosions. So, short of using obsidian and bedrock (both invulnerable to explosions), gold blocks should be good enough protection from drunken creepers.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-20, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah, beta server is unusable at this point. Not only are there odd bugs, but it is *constantly* feeding a wide stream of data to the client. I'm seeing constant 200-300 kb/sec downloading on my Mac client here, even after the initial map load, just standing still. Previously the update stream was an order of magnitude smaller with occasional bursts as you walked around.

Sorry guys. Looks like we're at the whim of notch on this one. I'm shutting it down until the next patch.

Bad stuff.

At least my wife won't have to kill me like she's been threatening.

Let us know when that's back up. Single player just doesn't seem like as much fun - logging on and finding new stuff is exciting!

Can we get a map of the state of play at shutdown?

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-12-20, 15:52

I confess. I took a diamond block or two (or three...) :/

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-20, 16:20

Quote:
Sorry guys. Looks like we're at the whim of notch on this one. I'm shutting it down until the next patch.
Awesome. Now I can finish my finals.

Bonn89

2010-12-20, 16:28

Aww, they fixed the item durability restoring glitch. :/

For those that don't know, in alpha multiplayer, if you threw a tool (hit Q) and picked it back up, it's durability was fully restored, meaning you only ever needed 1 of any tool.

Not anymore.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Awesome. Now I can finish my finals.

Funny thing: last night I was showing my wife around the server and all the stuff you guys had built, and she told me I should ban you from the server until finals are over for your own good.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelmerguy View Post
I confess. I took a diamond block or two (or three...) :/
Don't sweat it! I'll replenish my personal cache before too long...

From the start, I'd actually been planning to de-op myself after about a week to bring some balance back to the game's economy. The doling out of free resources was my way of jumpstarting these big building projects, just like other government funded stimulus packages. Technically, I'll still be able to help out if someone's in a real bind, but I'll have to ssh over to the server and execute commands from the console instead, which is enough trouble to completely dissuade the casual cheating we've been doing.

So, soon enough we'll have to be a little more protective and thrifty about our resources. Trees will be replanted, mines will go deep, and territorial battles will be waged. Maybe not so much the last one, but PvP is enabled!

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-20, 17:08

Quote:
Funny thing: last night I was showing my wife around the server and all the stuff you guys had built, and she told me I should ban you from the server until finals are over for your own good.
That's a great idea! Ban me until 11:30 PM tomorrow if the server comes back up before then.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-20, 17:22

Quote:
Don't sweat it! I'll replenish my personal cache before too long...

From the start, I'd actually been planning to de-op myself after about a week to bring some balance back to the game's economy. The doling out of free resources was my way of jumpstarting these big building projects, just like other government funded stimulus packages. Technically, I'll still be able to help out if someone's in a real bind, but I'll have to ssh over to the server and execute commands from the console instead, which is enough trouble to completely dissuade the casual cheating we've been doing.

So, soon enough we'll have to be a little more protective and thrifty about our resources. Trees will be replanted, mines will go deep, and territorial battles will be waged. Maybe not so much the last one, but PvP is enabled!
But who will teleport me out of the caves when I get stuck?

Maybe I'll have to be more careful about what I take with me.

I was planning on doing some forestry and lumberjacking in the burnt area when the server reopens.

I think we need to institute some kind of "planning permission" process.

Bonn89

2010-12-20, 17:38

So during the downtime, I decided to undergo a little.. creative project:

First off, I wanted to just say that while the 27-inch iMac is nice and all, it's the 27-FOOT iMac I really want:

Of course, if that day never comes, a new Mac mini and an LED Cinema Display will do nicely as well:

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-20, 17:39

I'm hoping I start getting some time to work on the awesome. Work has been nuts.

EDIT: Also, the Apple gear? VERY nice!!!!!

Foj
Veteran Member

2010-12-20, 18:14

I am both happy and sad that I haven't joined in with the 'Nova Minecraft madness. While it looks fun, I have too many games going at the moment to add another time drain multiplayer.

I will check in to see how things work out.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 18:41

Quote:
Ahhhh!!! This game is taking over my life! I play for hours... and when I stop, I thinking about what I will do next!
Seriously. I'm looking at absolutely everything with blocks in mind, constantly figuring how many/what kind of bricks would work. Gah. I was at the bar just now and I was thinking "I could do 3 blocks for the pillars, 2 blocks for the coolers....oooh! glass blocks for the mirrors. Holy. Fucking. Shit. This fucking thing is geek crack, and I'm here to tell you....one dose is enough to be an addict.

So it goes.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 18:59

Quote:
From the start, I'd actually been planning to de-op myself after about a week to bring some balance back to the game's economy. The doling out of free resources was my way of jumpstarting these big building projects, just like other government funded stimulus packages.
I did wonder how you were able to secure so many resources, but didn't bother to ask. So a controller/world admin can create things on demand? And here I thought you were diligently harvesting burnt logs and whatnot.

For the record, I haven't yet dipped into the community chest. A) I'm too fucking far away. B) Before the skyway I was too ascared to go tromping through the woods to even bother looking for it. C) Night comes way too quickly for me to risk my life & loot.

I'll likely stay close to Flaming Mountain until I can develop my other paths I have planned towards y'all.

On a side note, the blower-upper dudes are making me an unwilling participant in their "renovation" plans for my house.

So it goes.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 19:11

also: mad, mad props to SpecMode. I don't know how in the fuck you built the skyway so quickly.

[edit]: I thought for sure you were going to hit my little outskirts island plan....was it just luck/good juju that you hit my little overlook porch? I've been reconfiguring a bit to accommodate that as an entrance.

One thing I've been working on lately is to flatten out everything out my (once) front doors and make it suitable for spawning. Planting grass, putting up fences, providing ample night-lighting, etc. It's pretty cool. Every morning I wake up to a fresh flock of pigs, sheep or cows. All fenced in and ready for the slaughter if needs arise.

This "game" is super-fun, let me say again. I still have all my underground caves to terraform too. Super exciting.

/geeking out about this stupid 8-bit throwback.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2010-12-20 at 19:32.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Holy. Fucking. Shit. This fucking thing is geek crack, and I'm here to tell you....one dose is enough to be an addict.
Absolutely. I'm withdrawing over here. I can't remember how many times I've checked notch's twitter and blog, despite knowing he's asleep (on his pile of money no doubt) right now. WHERE'S MY UPDATE, NOTCH?!

*itch itch*

<-- withdrawal symptom rageface

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-20, 19:22

It is kind of fun to be in "on the ground floor" of something with this much promise - and with such an update schedule! (Bugfixes THE SAME DAY? Wow.)

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-12-20, 19:31

This game is amazing. Look how we're pining over it despite it's many bugs and glitches. Such a simple concept. Such an elegant implementation, save for the graphics. I mean, what kind of VIDEO game gets this much of a following with such "crappy" graphics? I'll tell you, a game that's all about the GAMEPLAY.

And to be honest, I'm kind of overwhelmed by the sheer scale of this game. Wikipedia talks about how the game (hardware/software) can theoretically support a map that is EIGHT TIMES the surface area of the Earth. EIGHT TIMES! I'm having trouble in the real world as it is! How am I going to survive in a world EIGHT TIMES THE SIZE??? Madness.

Oh yeah... I'm having Tetris Effect too.

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-12-20, 19:34

But you know what I'm really excited about? I'm excited about the potential for just our map. How big is it going to get? How many users? Will the Skyway be able to support us? We'll need to start having a government. States. Countries!

I guess Brad would be the de facto Dictator (if he chooses). But we can still pretend that we are a democratic group of united states, right? United States of AppleNovaLand, anybody?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
It is kind of fun to be in "on the ground floor" of something with this much promise - and with such an update schedule! (Bugfixes THE SAME DAY? Wow.)
Well, "on the ground floor" is very relative since the game has been available in some form for a year and a half and is nearing a million paid users.

I'm not so surprised by same-day bugfixes. What I am surprised by is the lack of QA before releasing code to such a wide audience that needs same-day bugfixes. And I say this as a software developer who knows all about the planning, development, QA, acceptance, staging, deployment, and release processes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 19:54

Quote:
Oh yeah... I'm having Tetris Effect too.
I had my first real-world Minecraft "Tetris effect" last night when we went to a Mexican restaurant. The side door was not handicap accessible and had a very curious arrangement of steps leading up to it. Basically this is exactly how the building side and steps were:

It looked just like a poor arrangement of Minecraft stone half-steps. The corner pieces were missing just like that. My brain wigged out for a second as we went in.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 19:59

Quote:
And to be honest, I'm kind of overwhelmed by the sheer scale of this game. Wikipedia talks about how the game (hardware/software) can theoretically support a map that is EIGHT TIMES the surface area of the Earth. EIGHT TIMES! I'm having trouble in the real world as it is! How am I going to survive in a world EIGHT TIMES THE SIZE??? Madness.
I'd a least like to be able to see you guys from where I am. Maybe it's just a video card thing catering to the lowest common denominator, but really, after seeing the map that Brad put up there's really no reason I shouldn't be able to see the Mob from the top of my tower, at the very least RowdyScot.

Oh! That reminds me - Brad, your torches that you dropped from my place back to home are absolutely awesome at night. Looking down from my lookout, I wholly prefer the world at night. It's just so great.

So it goes.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 20:03

Quote:
It looked just like a poor arrangement of Minecraft stone half-steps. The corner pieces were missing just like that. My brain wigged out for a second as we went in.
Wigged out for a second, pointed down and said to the Maitre d, "You should put a mine-cart track here."

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 20:11

So can we log in yet? I have half a bowl of lentil soup left, and I'm not sure what to do with myself when it's finished. I really need to get back to Minecraft. Really.

*twitch*

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 20:14

Negatory. No update until tomorrow means no server until tomorrow. It's too unstable and resource hungry, unfortunately. It seems that part of the problem (again!) is the leaf decay, as some people have reported less hardware demand in desert areas without trees.

I'll check for updates around my lunch break tomorrow (~12-1 PM ET) and might deploy and restart the server then if the update promises performance fixes. Otherwise, it'll probably around 7 PM ET when I get home or whenever notch actually fixes them.

edit: And by "resource hungry" I mean that I alone on the server almost completely saturated the network connection from the server to my home computer. That's a ~10x spike in network utilization.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 20:16

Thanks for the update Brad.

I wil now go die.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 20:17

Well, there's always single player. I know it's little consolation, but hey at least you can turn on "peaceful" mode!

Bonn89

2010-12-20, 20:22

Fucking leaf decay.

Always making problems for everyone.

I WANT TO FINISH MY APPLE STORE.

Leaf decay is obviously the new flash.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 20:38

NOTE: Your Spiderman pajamas cracked me the fuck up entirely. Well done.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-20, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
also: mad, mad props to SpecMode. I don't know how in the fuck you built the skyway so quickly.

[edit]: I thought for sure you were going to hit my little outskirts island plan....was it just luck/good juju that you hit my little overlook porch? I've been reconfiguring a bit to accommodate that as an entrance.
After a while, I just get into the 'zone', and just start putting down wood blocks row after row after row until I run out. Turn around, spend most of the day walking back to the forest, harvest more logs, and repeat. Take an occasional break to admire the view, and to taunt the creepers/zombies/skeletons/spiders glaring up at me from the ground.

As for how I ended up at your overlook: I was originally going to follow the plan you posted on yesterday, stopping down at your mini-skywalk. However, the horde of creepers lurking in (and on top of ) the trees surrounding it had other ideas.

Interesting side note - as I was just about to finish that leg of the Skyway, with about a dozen rows left before hitting the overlook, I was placing a pair of torches when I heard a noise behind me (the 'something walking on dirt' sound). I spin around just in time to see a creeper falling through the air not four spaces away. The server spawned the thing in mid-air nearly within blasting range of me.