AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 5 of 49 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-20, 23:48

Hmmm... I just can't deal with single-player. Far too many creatures spawn, so I end up rebuilding the same damn house every day after the many creepers that killed me in the morning had exploded. No time to do anything else. I got killed about 8 times in one night the second night. Sigh.

Bugfix tomorrow....*crosses fingers*....

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-21, 01:34

Well, I will be able to sleep tonight at least. LOL!

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-12-21, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Interesting side note - as I was just about to finish that leg of the Skyway, with about a dozen rows left before hitting the overlook, I was placing a pair of torches when I heard a noise behind me (the 'something walking on dirt' sound). I spin around just in time to see a creeper falling through the air not four spaces away. The server spawned the thing in mid-air nearly within blasting range of me.
Any game that has skydiving baddies is legendary IMO.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-21, 03:02

Single player is good for wasting time before the Lunar eclipse AND figuring out the best stip-mining methodology. I have successfully built an enormous dirt cube on the side of a mountain i am taking down to its bare-essentials. It's an intimidating sight.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-21, 08:13

heres my branch mine design:

The middle blocks are the ramp circling down and is designed to easily accommodate minecarts. The first ring is just a ledge on each level before you go tunneling in. Each level of the branch is 3 blocks high, this way you have room to better work with the mine carts. The branches can extend as far as you need, but i usually dig a cross tunnel at about 50 blocks or so.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-21, 08:20

lolwut
Quote:
I have a scary feeling the lag some people get might be leaf decay. Grraaaaahhh!!

Bonn89

2010-12-21, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
First reaction: uh wut?

Second reaction: Makes sense in already-generated worlds, as there are a LOT of trees now trying to decay all at once.

Third reaction: uh wut it used to work.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-21, 12:28

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I'M DONE! That Algorithms final almost killed me, but I'm done.

Any word as to how long until servers are operational again?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-21, 13:31

Still waiting on a performance update...

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-21, 15:16

Eggs are no longer useless! You can throw them and cause damage!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-21, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Eggs are no longer useless! You can throw them and cause damage!
Spoiler (click to toggle):
and to randomly spawn new chickens!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-21, 15:21

Also, sadness:

Quote:
@notch Hey buddy. Do you think there will be a Mincraft Multiplayer fix before you go to bed tonight?
Quote:
@varpness no, tomorrow

¡Damned!

2010-12-21, 16:30

Single player seems to be busted too, as mining stone gives me nothing in my inventory.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-12-21, 16:56

Dude... this looks sweet. Retro FTW.

Only I may be doin' it wrong. Do you have to pay to play? I couldn't find a link to our server or whatnot.

Register at mincraft.net, then... ? BTW someone took the name Moogs and I'm not happy about it. Which one of you impostering basterds did it... HUH?

...into the light of a dark black night.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-21, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Only I may be doin' it wrong. Do you have to pay to play? I couldn't find a link to our server or whatnot.
Yes, it's pay to play for the "survival multiplayer" server we're running. It's a one-time cost, though, not a subscription.

Details on the first page here: http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=35418#10

Once you register and purchase, you can reach the server either by downloading the standalone app or using the in-browser version. Both use Java; so, you're getting basically the same experience. Once logged in and loaded, you would click "Multiplayer" and enter "applenova.com" as the server name.

Our server is tentatively offline, though, pending fixes for some *major* performance regressions introduced by the beta release yesterday. notch (the lead developer) had promised an update today, but he's postponed that until tomorrow (if we're lucky?). Unfortunately, it's not easy (but possible) to play using an older version because the game auto-updates itself any time notch releases an update.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-21, 18:37

I can't get the browser version to run. I get a java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError in the Java console. I assume that means the Java version on this PC is out-of-date?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-21, 19:49

Probably. I do believe it requires Java 1.6.

I know notch accidentally made a change with 1.0 beta that broke the game for lots of Mac users that were still on 10.5 (which has Java 1.6 available but has Java 1.5 enabled by default).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-12-21, 20:05

Thanks for the update, Von Bradley.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-21, 22:41

I'm frustrated with the beta since the re-generating blocks make it impossible to do anything. It's kinda hard to find a shelter if you can't dig out a hole! I'm just starting out my world because I keep forgetting where I built my previous shelters. I just got smart and decided to build something near the spawn point first then trek out to find coal. (Duh. <facepalm>.) Hopefully it'll be fixed before too long.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-21, 23:00

This looks like so much fun but I just can't bring myself to put the time into it. I love seeing the screen captures and reading about this though. Maybe I'll join and be on a hill somewhere down the road. For now I'm enjoying the sidelines though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-22, 00:23

hey Brad, what texture pack do you use?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-22, 00:30

Normally, I alternate between a custom Painterly Pack and Frenden's texture pack, but for those screenshots I made another Painterly Pack that looks closer to the default Minecraft textures than the one I had.

Painterly Pack home page
Painterly Pack customizer
Frenden's texture pack

I also use BetterLight and BetterGrass client mods, although sometimes I remove them because the ambient occlusion makes some areas darker than they should otherwise be. That makes night work and deep cave expeditions a bit more difficult. See MrMMods.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-22, 01:23

Looks cool. Whose is the underground reed farm? I don't recall seeing it before.

I have an idea for a new creation, so this downtime is killing me!

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-22, 01:27

Single player keeps crashing on my 17" MBP. Salty.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-22, 01:44

Those are great and yes I looked at the file names.

Maybe I'll have to see if I can join in...if only I didn't have other things going on.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Bonn89

2010-12-22, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Looks cool. Whose is the underground reed farm? I don't recall seeing it before.

I have an idea for a new creation, so this downtime is killing me!
That's mine.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-22, 03:25

So...singleplayer beta is working FINE for me. No glitches or anything like that. Trying to decide on my first major build there, as my mining shaft yielded a large pocket of diamond and redstone. ^_^

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-22, 06:52

How would one move single player gamesaves from one computer to another? The main reason I'm playing on my server is for the game to go with me to the office - it's a perfect "I've got 30 minutes" game to play.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-22, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
How would one move single player gamesaves from one computer to another? The main reason I'm playing on my server is for the game to go with me to the office - it's a perfect "I've got 30 minutes" game to play.
They're saved in ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves.

It looks like notch might have some fixes coming down the pipe today. Here's hoping!

Quote:
Turns out the extreme lag IS because of leaf decay. I feel sad now.
Quote:
Nevermind me, because I am a brilliant god of programming, and I fix leaf decay by using tricky sneakery and dead sexiness!
Quote:
I realize this is not the first time I've said it, but YAY! Leaf decay WORKS! =D =D Now on to the item dupe glitch..

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-22, 08:14

Hrm...I think that I need to clean up the top of the stairway on the Skyway at Bridgeport. The transition from cobblestone to wood/glowstone looks pretty ugly.