User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

USB hub with Airport Extreme?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
USB hub with Airport Extreme?
Performa636CD

2007-01-26, 10:34

If I decide to use an Airport Extreme to allow myself to use an external USB hard drive and USB printer wirelessly, can I use a USB hub with the Airport Extreme? I ask this because the Airport Extreme only has one USB port, but I have two USB devices I'd like to use. I just want to make sure data won't get all gobbled up in that USB bottleneck.

Thanks
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-26, 10:35

According to MacWorld, yes, you can. I'll see if I can dig up the link to the article.

Here's the article:

http://www.macworld.com/2007/01/firs...reme/index.php

Quote:
Finally, if you’ve got a USB printer and a USB drive, or more than one of each, you can simply connect a USB hub to the Base Station’s USB port and then connect those devices to the hub. All of the printers and hard drives will be accessible to the local network, and you can use AirPort Disk Utility to configure access to each drive independently. (Although Apple hasn’t explicitly stated so, it appears that you could even use one of these Base-Station-shared USB drives as your Time Machine backup volume—once OS X 10.5 ships later this year, of course.)

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Performa636CD

2007-01-26, 10:38

Great!

Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a good, reliable USB hub?

Or are they all the same?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-26, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performa636CD View Post
Great!

Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a good, reliable USB hub?

Or are they all the same?
They're pretty much all the same. Make sure you get one that's USB 2.0, though, especially if you're hooking up a hard drive.
Performa636CD

2007-01-26, 10:43

Will do.

Thanks again.
dbaile

2007-02-10, 20:39

I got a 4 port hub from Staples for about $25. Seems to be working fine although I had to create some space between the drive, the Airport and the hub as the airport disk utility was telling me the drive was corrupt until I separated all the units. I assume the Airport was picking up something from the cables?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-02-10, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaile View Post
I got a 4 port hub from Staples for about $25. Seems to be working fine although I had to create some space between the drive, the Airport and the hub as the airport disk utility was telling me the drive was corrupt until I separated all the units. I assume the Airport was picking up something from the cables?
What? That's the most absurd explanation I've ever heard.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-02-10, 22:08

Quote:

uhhh? what i dont understand what ur saying?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-11, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
uhhh? what i dont understand what ur saying?
And you think people understand you?
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-02-11, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
And you think people understand you?
do you think people understand you?
dbaile

2007-02-18, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
do you think people understand you?
I put the USB drive right on top of the airport extreme, and as long as they were stacked like that, Airport utilities kept saying that the disk was corrupt and told me to use disk utilities to repair the drive, which I did, but it didn't change anything. It wasn't until I moved the drive away from the Airport that everything started working fine. What part didn't you understand?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-18, 21:19

Quote:
I put the USB drive right on top of the airport extreme, and as long as they were stacked like that, Airport utilities kept saying that the disk was corrupt and told me to use disk utilities to repair the drive, which I did, but it didn't change anything. It wasn't until I moved the drive away from the Airport that everything started working fine. What part didn't you understand?
First off, Welcome to AppleNova!

It really does make a difference with the radiation that is going to cause interference with your hub and drive etc. While it's a relatively low wattage out, it is pretty strong at point blank range. Not ot mention, you shouldn't put anything on top of the AirPort Extreme as it will shorten your distance/reception too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
dbaile

2007-02-19, 14:35

Thanks. It turns out I'm not the only one with the problem and it looks like proximty isn't the issue. The Apple support forum is full of people saying their Aiprot goes to flashing amber when they turn on the external hard drive that's hooked to a USB hub. Mine did it again last night and they're well apart from each other now. It looks like the workaround is to disconnect the AE from the power and then turn on the hard drive, and then turn on the AE. Not sure what's causing it but the fix is somewhat annying.