AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

What to do with my Microcell?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What to do with my Microcell?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-07, 21:46

So the operating specs say it can only operate in the 0-100ºF range.
Quote:
Device Specifications
Power Supply: 100-120 VAC, 15 W; 12 VDC, 1.25 A Output
Status Indicators: Power, Ethernet, GPS, Computer, 3G
Dimensions (H x D x W): 8.5 in. x 6.3 in. x 1.5 in. (at top), 4 in. (at legs)
Unit Weight: 1 lb 2 ounces (AC power adapter not included)
Ambient Temperature Range: 0o to 38oC
I want to move it into my attic rather than leave it sitting in my living area. I'd be able to put it in a more centered area of my house if I can get it in my attic. (My house is much like a one floor box.) Of course the attic is going to swing out of this range. Just wondering what I could do to get this moved into the attic without pumping living space air around it. Or maybe a creative way to do just that.

I was thinking of just putting a fan or two on the top of the unit to force air up through the unit and see if that'd be enough to keep it from overheating. I mean, looking at the logic board there doesn't seem to be too much on this thing that'd over heat under normal use. I'll hook it into my router with QoS so I'm not worried about it getting too much traffic. Just the data from my Tilt2 all the time and the phone calls my wife and I get on our cells. So this thing isn't going to be getting over used.

It just seems like these temperature ranges are artificial and give more room that than. Crap, it was hotter than that when my AC was out. There does seem to be at least one heat sink in use though:

I guess I could put an electronic temp monitor up there and get an idea of the what temperature swings are like. In the mean time, what are some creative ways I can get this thing in my attic without replacing them all the time. $150 isn't a lot, but multiple times over would be too much.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ironlung

2010-08-10, 17:25

How cold does it get in the winter, where you live?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-10, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung View Post
How cold does it get in the winter, where you live?
Normally it only gets to be about 20s on cold nights. Rarely does it seem to get below 0 DegF not counting wind chill.
ironlung

2010-08-11, 23:20

Well thats good. I was thinking about this for a while today, looking for temperature regulated fans. But then I thought of something.. what about those laptop fans? Like this one from cooler master
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-12, 04:32

I can build a thermal control with no problem, the real problem would be not frying the unit in the heat. I'm not worried about it getting too cold. I mean, really, my logic board on this thing is going to freeze?!?

Overheat, that I can see happening but to what extent? I'm thinking something like this Northbridge fan (or two) along the top of the Microcell pulling air up through it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ironlung

2010-08-12, 11:03

I used to run my pc in 110 degree weather in pakistan, with just a fan blowing towards it. I would never turn it off either, so I bet this should be more than sufficient.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-12, 16:06

See, thisi s why I think the numbers are just plain way off. I'm about to put a temp sensor in my attic so I can get an idea of it's real highs and lows during these hot summer day.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-12, 16:29

Any one find me a disassembly in the wild and I'll give cookies. I'm trying to get mine open without making it obvious I did. It's closed up pretty good!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-09-09, 22:15

FYI, I never did get it opened and I ended up returning it. After my wife and I dropped a call at the same time (again) we just couldn't say the Microcell worked for us. AT&T just gave me back my money and I gave them their unopened device.

I even went to the extent of removing my server from blocking it by buying a router with QoS to ensure it got all the bandwidth it needed. It was a sad day because of everything I wanted it to be but then again it wasn't what it was supposed to be for use either.

I did end up with it in my attic for a few weeks and it hit 113DegF up there with no issues. I'm sure their numbers are artificial for the temp tolerances.