Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

No sound in parallels

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No sound in parallels
kfhasan

2007-04-02, 16:20

Hello,

I'm running Windows xp sp2 using Parallels on a Macbook Core2duo.. Everything seems to be working fine except my Isight and audio..

When I open hardware manager in windows it tells me that there is no driver installed for intel 82801ba/Bam ac '97 audio controller 2445 and its got the little yellow icon next to it..

Is there a quick fix for this? did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-04-02, 16:35

One way I got that stuff to work in Parallels is to download the bootcamp disk from apple.

This quote it stolen from the onmac forums.

Quote:
Mount the "Boot_Camp_Assistant-Installer_Beta.dmg", then right (or control) click the "BootCampAssistant.pkg" file and "show package contents", then drag the "Archive.pax.gz" from the Contents folder to your desktop and double click it.

This will put a folder called "Applications" on your desktop, in that there's a folder called "Utilities" and in that there's the "Boot Camp Assistant.app".

Right (or control) click on the assistant and "show package contents" again to give a folder called "contents". Inside this is a folder called "Resources" that has what you need. It's called Diskimage.dmg
Copying that into Parallels, then mounting it should give you all the drivers you need.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
kfhasan

2007-04-02, 16:45

What do you mean copying that into parallels and then mounting it? Should I copy it to windows? How will that recognize .dmg?

Sorry for being stupid but can you explain that part pls?

Thanks
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2007-04-02, 17:19

If you install Parallels tools, you should be able to drag/drop files from between your Mac and your Windows window. Just drag the .dmg file from the bootcamp disk into the Windows desktop.

From there tell parallels to mount a disk image, and select the one on your desktop. It should then let you run the setup utility on the bootcamp drivers disk, which gives you extra usability in Parallels like your iSight camera.

Ok, decided that it's a pain in the ass to have to extract it from the Boot Camp image.

If you want you can just download the part you need here

Google is your frenemy.

Last edited by alcimedes : 2007-04-02 at 17:19. Reason: Posts merged
kfhasan

2007-04-02, 17:56

Ok I did all that.... and now the isight is working but the sound still isn't

Its showing exactly the same yellow icon .. when I try and install the drivers it finds them but then throws an error withthe error message being

"The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor."

Im all out of ideas!!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2007-04-02, 18:51

are there more than one listed version of the driver file? Often times if you cycle through the three or more options for the device you'll find one that works.

Otherwise what happens if you right click on it, tell it to update the driver then tell it to get drivers off of the 'net?

Google is your frenemy.
kfhasan

2007-04-03, 03:45

There are two versions of the driver with exactly the same name and neither works. Those two were there even before I did the whole process from your first post. And it doesn't get the drivers off the net either. It searches but comes back to those two and like I said, neither works.

I tried installing the RealTek high definition audio from the diskimage as well but that didn't do it either...

Kind of stumped