AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Nintendo announces DSi with big 4.2" screens

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nintendo announces DSi with big 4.2" screens
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-29, 02:54

It's not every day (though it increasingly seems like every autumn) that Nintendo introduces a new DS, and in Tokyo they just announced the newest model. Essentially a larger DSi, the new model is dubbed "DSi LL" (think XL), which is appropriate because it's really f'ing huge. It trades the DSi's twin 3.25" displays (already slightly larger than the DS/DS lite's 3-inch screens) for 4.2 inch screens. That means that each of the screens are about the same size as the PSP's (not the go's) 4.3-inch monster (I believe that, due to the less wide aspect ratio, a DSi LL panel is actually larger in area). And there's two of them.

Needless to say, the DSi LL is pretty big. And...that's it. They made the stylus larger (it now looks like an actual pen) and increased the battery life (they have the room, why not?), but the bigger screens are the only major improvement, which is appropriate because this device will actually be sold alongside the DSi in Japan - it won't replace it, sort of like how the DSi hasn't replaced the DS lite here. (Confused yet?)

The screens - which are apparently some 93% bigger than the base DSi screens - are actually the exact same resolution as the regular DS/lite/i screens, at a rather low 256x192 pixels. So why bother? It turns out the DSi LL is actually aimed at, um, old people. Old people in Japan just lurve the DS for some reason, but the tiny screens can be hard on their eyes. That explains the more pen-like stylus, the more subdued color options (brown, maroon, and "natural white"), and the fact that it's about the size as a typical Japanese book - the DS can read e-books, you know, though I'm sure reading e-books on backlit 4.2-inch 256x192 screens is a great way to destroy what eyesight those users have left. Kidding aside, it's great that Nintendo is paying attention to its market's needs, and the DS is a popular enough device that niche offshoots can still have their place. No word on if the DSi LL (which would probably be rebadged "XL") will make it to America, but it should be available for importing on November 21.

via Kotaku

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-29, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
The screens - which are apparently some 93% bigger than the base DSi screens - are actually the exact same resolution as the regular DS/lite/i screens, at a rather low 256x192 pixels.
That sucks. This would have been an opportunity to compete with the iPod touch on screen estate.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-29, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That sucks. This would have been an opportunity to compete with the iPod touch on screen estate.
Yup. It's still entirely possible to show both DS screens, including the ~90 pixel "gap" between them, on the iPod touch/iPhone screen.

Speaking of the iPod/iPhone, you know what 3"-ish screen I'd love to also grow an inch or so? In width, mainly?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-29, 03:58

Specs:

It's 2.4 cm (about an inch) wider than the DSi and 2.9 cm wider than the DS lite. It's 1.65 cm deeper than the DSi and 1.75 cm deeper than the DS lite (and remember, this will basically double when open). It's about as thick as the DS lite (so, thicker than the DSi), and finally there's the weight: an even 100g (47%) heavier than the DSi. So, you're going to notice the added heft.

The battery life is better than the DSi's but not quite as good as the DS lite, which has slower guts and much smaller screens. Interestingly, the DSi LL includes two styluses: A small traditional one (which, at 9.6 cm, is the longest one yet) and a 12.9 cm "Touch Pen," which is thicker and pen-shaped. It doesn't look like the Touch Pen can be stowed inside the DSi LL, so users will probably find themselves using the regular stylus on the road.

It retails for an even 20,000 yen, or about about $12 more than the regular DSi costs in Japan. It also includes three DSiWare "games," two mini Brain Training titles and a dictionary. And...that's about it.

cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-10-29, 06:54

The aging Japanese video gamer is an untapped market.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-29, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
The aging Japanese video gamer is an untapped market.
... and Nintendo seems to be saying, "I'd tap that."

Seriously though, WTF? This makes even less sense than the PSP Go. The DSi hasn't been around for 18 months and you're trying to supercede it with only one feature change, plus you're going to continue selling the DSi?!? It doesn't make sense to me?
Unch

2009-10-29, 12:04

No-one is trying to supercede anything. This is essentially a DSi Myopic Granny Edition. An additional model designed to cater for that subsection only, a bulkier device with a larger display. That is why DSi will still be available.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-29, 12:21

This seems like a good business move, if it's true that the geriatrics in Japan actually have a desire to use the DS. Designing a model to meet their needs, at little manufacturing cost, would be a goodway to increase adaption in the retiree population. If it's not designed for the mainstream gamer there's no reason to look at it like a "crappy refreash" but more like an expansion to their offerings. And a large portion of Japan's population is gettin up-there in age. Some quick Wolframming indicates that 21.6% of Japan's population is elderly versus the U.S.A.'s 12.73%. (Whatever age they consider elderly, I'm guessing 65 because Japan's statistics bureau lists a very similar percentage for the over 65 demographic.)

Last edited by Maciej : 2009-10-29 at 12:39.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-30, 01:13

Nintendo has confirmed that this DSi, predictably rebadged "XL," will be available in Europe and North America in Q1 2010, at an unspecified price point. Maybe they'll drop the price of the DSi and release the DSi XL at the old DSi price...

It really is astounding how little Nintendo has been able to change the DS hardware. The DS was introduced in 2004, five years ago next month, and all they've done to it since then was drop the price $20 (2005) and re-styled it too look as good as the Game Boy Advance SP did (2006). That's it. Put another way, they haven't adjusted the hardware at all since spring of 2006 - before even the Wii came out! They've added more colors, of course - the DS lite is actually no longer available in any of the colors it launched in, since those are DSi colors now - and they introduced the DSi (and DSi XL), but at a higher price point.

They are making bank with the DS hardware. I think the Peek probably has a faster processor, and it's $20.

They finally adjusted the price of the Wii (because they had to - the unstoppable Wii machine slowed down, finally), so maybe there's hope that they'll drop the price of the (even older) DS line-up. After the holiday season, of course, but we should see some nice DS(i?) bundles in the meantime.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-30, 06:31

Left to right: DSi XL, DSi, DS lite. Yowza.

Unsolicited predictions: Next spring, the DS lite will drop in price $30 (after just four years!) to $99, which will totally overshadow the "main model" DSi hitting $149 (a $20 price drop after its first holiday season, just like the original DS). The niche DSi XL will clock in at $179 or so; even with the extra "games" I think $199 would be pushing it, even for Nintendo.

Sony will drop the price of the PSP $20, to $149, likely with a new PSP-4000 model, and the still-new PSP go will drop in price $50, to $199. The PSP, while slimming down and gaining features, hasn't changed in price since spring 2007, so a price drop would be welcome there, as well.

After the holiday season, of course.

I wonder what Nintendo's holiday bundles will include this year. DS lites? I'd imagine they'd include DSis, no? And what games? The new Zelda might be too new, although Nintendo released a Phantom Hourglass bundle the same holiday season that game came out. Pokemon Platinum, maybe? With a little Poke Ball around the camera? Professor Layton? I can dream, right?

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-30, 07:26

I guess my earlier post was expressing surprise that there wasn't a leap in portable gaming power. I keep hoping for something new in portable gaming and all I see is a rebadged PSP in the PSP Go and now the XL from Nintendo. Will the next generation of portable gaming systems ever come out?

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2009-10-30 at 07:38.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-30, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I guess my earlier post was expressing surprise that there wasn't a leap in portable gaming power relative to size. I keep hoping for something new in portable gaming and all I see is a rebadged PSP in the PSP Go (no new internals) and now this from Nintendo. Will the next generation of portable gaming systems ever come out?
No.

I'm sure Nintendo has a DS2, somewhere in their labs. But why would they bring it out now, when they are still making bank on 2006 (I'm being generous) hardware?

The Game Boy went for twelve years before it was replaced. Even if you count the Game Boy Color as all-new hardware, it still stuck around for nine. In fact, the Game Boy Color is probably an okay analogy. That's what the DSi is. It's not a whole new system, of course, but it does have some technical improvements (more RAM, a new CPU) and we will start to see a few DSi-only games (in addition to existing DSiWare, of course) in 2010. But no, it's not a new generation. Nintendo doesn't really need to release a new generation - they own the "portable game player" market. They just need to make sure it doesn't go the way of the "personal digital assistant" market, or the "global positioning system" market, or the "personal media player" market...

Sony claims to not intend to release an all-new PSP until 2014 or so (with their much-ballyhooed "ten year cycle"). Nintendo tends to release consoles on a five-year cycle, but handhelds...who knows? I think they're just winging it, with the DS. It's one of those "get out of the way" products, especially in Japan.

They do seem to be settling into an annual October release window, just like Apple's September iPod event.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-30, 08:47

Well, until I can game on an iDevice without my fingers blocking 1/3 of the screen (i.e. physical input device not part of screen), they have less to worry about.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-10-30, 09:59

I'm glad they haven't upgraded the hardware actually. I mean, if they did, it would screw with all the current games. They're smart not to fracture the DS family any more than they have. For now, there are DS games and DSi-only games. Giving the DSi XL a higher screen resolution and/or more power would cause them to release at least a few DSi XL-only games that use the higher resolution. It would just cause too much confusion.