User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

A few earnest questions re: AirPort Express and Cinema Display hub...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A few earnest questions re: AirPort Express and Cinema Display hub...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-26, 13:08

1. What's the AirPort Express reception like? Does it need to be in a clear line-of-sight formation to the room/house? I'm moving in a weekend or so, and the place where I think I'll be putting the Express will be right under my desk. If it's partially obscured by the desk, the signal will still get out, right?

BTW, this leads me to another thing: in about two weeks - or less - I'll be looking to sell my AirPort Extreme Base Station (the no modem/antenna model) and go with the AirPort Express (after using my friend's, and getting a dose of surfing, printing AND iTunes with no wires, I'm hooked). Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you're interested in buying a round UFO AirPort Extreme base station in PERFECT condition, still with box, manuals, CD, mounting bracket, etc. I bought it about a year or so ago, from the Atlanta Apple Store, and it's been sitting in one place all this time. I'm also gonna be selling my Bluetooth Apple Mouse, so...

2. I will also be getting a 20" Cinema Display. I have an EyeTV 200 and an iPod. My FireWire 400 port on my PowerBook will get taken by the FireWire breakout cable coming off the Cinema Display. Those two products (iPod and EyeTV box) will both work fine, plugged into the back of the Cinema Display, right? I mean, that's what they're there for, isn't it. I figure I'd come out of one of the USB ports for my keyboard also, so that the only thing plugged into my PowerBook is the power cord and the video/FireWire/USB Cinema Display breakout cable, all on the right side.

Help a fella out and give me good answers on #1 and #2 above so I can move in with a clear, unworried head. I wasn't sure if the AirPort Express needs to be unobstructed completely, or what?

BTW, I'll also probably be looking for good homes for my Office v.X, iLife 04, Keynote 1.0 and Griffin Roadtrip iPod car player/charger in the coming weeks
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-01-26, 13:29

What is the desk (specifically, the parts that will be obscuring the AX) made of?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-26, 14:10

It's this one. Wood. Actually, probably not even wood.

And the Express wouldn't be behind that flat, wide part in the back. At worst, just behind one of those thinner, front-to-back pieces?

A real life pic.
EmC

2005-01-26, 16:52

You shouldn't have a problem with the reception, my airport express is plugged into the power strip under my desk, behind the subwoofer and metal trashcan. I can go everywhere in my house and I will still have three of the four bars on the airport icon at the top of my screen, my house is fairly large, don't know any measurements though.

Pic 1

Pic 2

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-26, 23:22

Perfect. That's what I was needing to know...mine won't even be that hidden.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-27, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
1. What's the AirPort Express reception like? Does it need to be in a clear line-of-sight formation to the room/house? I'm moving in a weekend or so, and the place where I think I'll be putting the Express will be right under my desk. If it's partially obscured by the desk, the signal will still get out, right?
It's very good. Works between different rooms - doesn't need line of sight.
PowermacG5newbie

Send a message via AIM to PowermacG5newbie  
2005-01-31, 20:58

Hey by the way about the reception If you have a wireless phone and/or a microwave, that will interfere with the reception of the airport
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-01-31, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmC
... and metal trashcan.
I have that EXACT same trash can! I saw it in the store and thought, "This is like the OS X trash can... for my room!"