Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

iPod capitalization issues in URLs...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod capitalization issues in URLs...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-09-16, 19:28

The term "iPod" seems to be programmed through the vB profanity filter to always have the "p" capitalized... this causes some problems in URLs as evidenced in this thread. Is there anything that can be done to address this?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Batman

2005-09-16, 20:20

Yeah, I just noticed that. And a note to any admin or developer out there - for some reason I can not even edit my on post in that thread, any ideas?

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-09-16, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
Yeah, I just noticed that. And a note to any admin or developer out there - for some reason I can not even edit my on post in that thread, any ideas?
Editing is only allowed within a certain time period from the time the post was made.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-16, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The term "iPod" seems to be programmed through the vB profanity filter to always have the "p" capitalized... this causes some problems in URLs as evidenced in this thread. Is there anything that can be done to address this?
Yeah, sorry about this. We have this set up because there were so many ignorant new users tossing about "IPod" and "iPOD" and "Ipod" and so forth. We just auto-replace them with the correct term to stave off any chiding remarks from other users. You haven't seen any "btw, it's iMac, not IMAC" remarks lately, I bet. The same goes for the terms iTunes, Xserve, Xcode, iBook, and iMac.

It's not part of the profanity filter; it's a search-and-replace filter. Unfortunately, it's not a very smart filter. You can't regex it or restrict anything with variables.

You can bypass the filter like I just did, though, by using the ASCII equivalent of one of the letters in the word. For example, to display a p character, I entered p instead. The filter doesn't realize you're giving it a p, though, and moves on past without changing the word. I told you it wasn't very smart!

I'm not dead-set on keeping this feature since it obviously has its flaws. If you really want me to remove it, I'm open to your opinions and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
Editing is only allowed within a certain time period from the time the post was made.
Correct. You have 24 hours to edit any of your posts. Beyond that, only administrators and moderators can edit them.

We implemented this time limit because one of our members went nuts one day (we never figured out why; he was a nice and seemingly normal guy) and deleted the content out all of his posts from AppleNova and AppleInsider and maybe other sites too. He edited every single one of them, hundreds if not thousands of posts. In the process, we lost a lot of very good information about, well, all sorts of topics that he'd posted. We didn't even know it had happened until someone searched for instructions he'd posted that had vanished.

If you have a legitimate need for removing or editing really old posts, I or one of the others on staff will help you out. Two other members (unrelated) approached me with privacy concerns because they'd posted a lot of personal information about their "real life" and were afraid that things they'd said here could come back to haunt them if traced to their real-life personas. I gladly complied and removed the posts that they requested. I'm sure Eric, Murray, or any of the other mods would help out just the same.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-16, 23:44

Yeah, Airsluf really went bonkers. That was weird... Personally, I vote for removing the "fix" because, while mis-capitalizing a word is annoying, it doesn't prevent people from getting information or keep a post from being helpful. If we screw up URLs, it can limit the usefulness of a post. Just my 2¢.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-09-17, 09:34

In the meantime, if I post a URL that gets miscapitalized because of this autofix feature, I'll put up a disclaimer right next to it saying, "Oh yeah, you'll need to change the 'P' to a lowercase 'p'."
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-09-17, 09:57

Destroy the autocorrect.

Why do we need "big brother" to help the posters out? In this case it seems to be counter-productive.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-17, 13:14

Done!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-09-17, 14:44

ipod IPOD iPOD http://ipodlounge.com (meh... now ilounge.com anyway)

just checking...
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-09-17, 16:20

Testing, test test test....

(upon hearing that, I usually mutter, "-icles... -icles... "
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-18, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
ipod IPOD iPOD http://ipodlounge.com (meh... now ilounge.com anyway)

just checking...
Uhhh...it's iPod. Stupid n00b!

Someone had to do it. Might as well have been me.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-09-18, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Uhhh...it's iPod. Stupid n00b!

Someone had to do it. Might as well have been me.
Post Whore!