User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

IBM's console PPCs and Mac gaming

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
IBM's console PPCs and Mac gaming
FireDancer

2005-03-13, 08:51

I was reading about the poor performance of Doom3 on the Mac (I love the game on x86) and the terrific performance of highly optimized games like QuakeIII and thinking about how IBM is supplying all the PPC CPUs for the up coming consoles....

At the moment games are written and optimized for x86 and ported to PPC. Can it now be presumed that games will be written & optimized for PPC and ported to x86 (I'm thinking of all those made for xbox 2 games going to PC)? Do you think this will make a huge difference in terms of Mac gaming?

If I were a game developer and/or Apple, I would be trying to develop some technologies that would fascilitate porting games written for PPC consoles to Mac OS X. For all the programmers out there, does it seem like this will be a much easier process (PPC console-->OSX compared to x86-->OSX) when the next generation of consoles come out?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-03-13, 09:02

I was thinking about the same recently and it sounds plausible.
I do however believe that at least Microsoft runs it's development software on the G5 from an adapted version of Windows NT and thusly most probably uses a proprietry compiler as well.
I wouldn't know who provides the other companies with their development platforms though.
BenRoethig

2005-03-13, 13:29

It'll be interesting to see if any good comes of this. If ports are partly based off of Xbox code it could have some impact on Mac gaming. Anyone know if the xenon cores have altivec units?