Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Tiger Minimum System Requirements

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger Minimum System Requirements
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-29, 13:10

According to this thread, the WWDC build of Tiger is being distributed on a DVD...

There are no mention of minimum requirements on the Tiger Webpage (other then the Core Image Graphic card reqs) and I wouldn't expect there to be-Tiger is MONTHS away and still under development (alpha software). But the DVD distribution is very interesting. It makes a LOT of sense, and makes the installation a LOT easier, but will the release be DVD-only as well?

Would it be prohibitively difficult to stock both a CD and DVD box when the OS is released? Both in one box?

Does anyone have any other information on the minimum requirements of 10.4? Are there any hints during the WWDC build installation?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-29, 13:18

No way it will be released DVD-only, Apple still sells EDU computers with CD-ROMs. Tonnes of games have a DVD and CDs in the same box and SuSE Linux Professional has 2 DVDs and 5 CDs in the same box.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-06-29, 13:27

The 64-bit capabilities suggest it is meant for G5 machines, but it's still officially a "bridge" OS, so it'll retain 32 bit support (and be a bit bloated because of it).

The Core Audio/Video specs suggest the visual tricks will be limited to recent Pro class machines, but even when Panther and Jaguar came out, there were distinctions in supported machines over Quartz Extreme, so it is quite possible that Tiger will run on machines whose GPU doesn't support full Core A/V implementations.
stoo

2004-06-29, 13:48

Quote:
The 64-bit capabilities suggest it is meant for G5 machines, but it's still officially a "bridge" OS, so it'll retain 32 bit support (and be a bit bloated because of it)
There are benefits to running 32bit code when you don't need 64bit, so I suspect that the fat binaries won't be that fat. In fact, most applications will probably still be 32bit code.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-06-29, 19:44

IIRC, the GNAA leak included a PDF that said something along the lines of "with built-in FireWire." That means the rev A-D iMacs and Lombard PowerBooks should be out...
agent302
"I'm learnding!"

Send a message via AIM to agent302  
2004-06-29, 19:49

FYI, the iLife 04 box had a CD and a DVD, so it's entirely possible.
Spart

2004-06-29, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
IIRC, the GNAA leak included a PDF that said something along the lines of "with built-in FireWire." That means the rev A-D iMacs and Lombard PowerBooks should be out...
Don't all Firewire-equipped machines have built-in DVD-ROM drives?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-29, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
And earlier iBooks.

But I am not sure why it would require built-in Firewire. Before, requiring built-in USB was a good way to separate the older machines from the new ones, because Beige G3s and Wallstreets use OldWorld ROMs. But Firewire? I don't see the line they're drawing. I mean, is a 400 MHz Lombard so different from a 400 MHz Pismo? Or a 350 MHz iMac vs. a 400 MHz one? It might be part of the recommended specifications, but I remember iTunes way back said that it required built in USB ports. Obviously, you can install iTunes on a machine that has no USB. And actually, if you install Panther on a supported Mac, you can then move the hard drive into an unsupported Beige G3 or Wallstreet and it'll work (just like how you could run 10.1 on a 604e).

I expect that any additional machines that get excluded from the list of supported machines will be able to run Tiger anyway with a little extra effort.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-29, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spart
Don't all Firewire-equipped machines have built-in DVD-ROM drives?
No.

At one point all of Apple's products were shipping with FW, but not always a DVD drive.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-29, 23:45

The Panther developer preview read-me said it required a Mac with built in FireWire. There's no guarantee that requirement will be there by the time Tiger is finished.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.