tiger system requirements out

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
tiger system requirements out
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
darkerknight

Send a message via AIM to darkerknight  
2004-06-30, 06:08

Hi,
MacGadget, a German mac info site (not a rumor site) has posted the system requirements for Tiger. Apparently, Apple somehow published tham at WWDC. Here it is:

Build in FireWire, DVD Drive, 128 MB Ram.

Well, that's it for my Lombard... gotta move on. Or miss out on Tiger? I'll see... However, those 128 MB Ram ae a joke, just like on Panther. To actually use OS X, you need 256, otherwise it's just no fun at all. I only have 320 MB installed, so I know what I'm talking about...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 06:16

Maybe a Mod can merge this with the other Tiger System Requirements thread???

How many people will be locked out because of the DVD Drive thing? A lot of original iMacs didn't have one.
darkerknight

2004-06-30, 06:26

Sorry, I didn't find the other sys req thread.

A lot of people will be left out, like me (Lombard) and all the original iMac users. Also: What about the new eMacs? Some vome with CD, right?

Maybe they will still change this, its more than 6 months away. I understand that something as old as the Lombard is no longer supported, the Pismo is the obvious choice. With Panther, the Wallstreet fell out, this time its Lombard. Considering the resources needed by Panther and Tiger, it does make sense to get a newer 'Book...
Anybody wanna lend me 2000 dollars?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-06-30, 06:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerknight
Sorry, I didn't find the other sys req thread.

A lot of people will be left out, like me (Lombard) and all the original iMac users. Also: What about the new eMacs? Some vome with CD, right?

Maybe they will still change this, its more than 6 months away. I understand that something as old as the Lombard is no longer supported, the Pismo is the obvious choice. With Panther, the Wallstreet fell out, this time its Lombard. Considering the resources needed by Panther and Tiger, it does make sense to get a newer 'Book...
Anybody wanna lend me 2000 dollars?
I will! Of course you have no idea of the interest I plan on
darkerknight

2004-06-30, 07:00

I already thought that would be problem... Well, I'll have to start saving... too bad I'm a student... too bad they don't pay us for going to university... really they should...

To be honest, those system requirements seem quite reasonable. I would have thought that with the newest release, they'd demand a G4. After all, by the time Tiger will be released, the eMac and the iBook will probably be the only G4s left in Apple's current lineup, with PowerBook and iMac running on a G5 (it's realistic to hope for a PB G5 by the time we reach 2.quarter of 2005, I think).
But of course, those are - like all the Tiger info- only preliminary requirements, I'm pretty sure that they will get more specific next year. After all, a g3 400 will probably not be fast enough, also all those machines with 8 MB VRAM won't work with Core Image and all that stuff. Running Panther on 8 MB VRAM is hard enough, I couldn't imagine running an even more sophisticated OS on this PowerBook.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-30, 07:18

These are the system requirements for the developer preview is not at all the same as the final requirements. Also there's the difference between minimum supported hardware and then unsupported but working hardware.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-30, 07:34

Even though I am qualified for tiger, how about if you have an external DVD drive? But, there is still firewire. Did some computers come with cd drives but, with firewire?

giggity
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-30, 08:15

Some Macs shipped with DVD drives but no Firewire... the only ones I can think of are certain BTO PowerBook G3s and beige G3s. And plenty of Macs shipped with Firewire but no DVD drive... a ton. 366 MHz iBooks, certain 500-900 MHz iBooks, a good portion of eMacs, later CD-RW CRT iMacs, the early CD-RW iMac G4, many PowerMac G4s on the lower end, and so on.

They're probably only distributing it on DVD because if you're a developer, you should have a DVD drive or the know-how to do a network install from a computer that has one. It's probably easier to make only DVDs rather than giving each developer a DVD and five CDs or something. That would cost 6x as much as just pressing DVDs, and most of it would go to waste.

Hell, most games these days, even ones aimed at super high-end gamers, still ship with the option for a CD installation. It would be stupid to require a DVD-ROM for a new OS when they can easily fit it onto 4 or 5 CDs. How much do CDs cost to press now, about a tenth of a cent?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-30, 09:00

128MB of RAM my ass. Try 512MB at least. Panther requires at least that much for cryin out loud.

It drives me nuts when software companies do that. Adobe does it too. If your product requires 768MB of RAM to run its core set of functions in a reasonably fast manner, then SAY SO. Requirements have now diminished to the point where it means "RAM required to launch this application" which is drastically different from what's required to USE the software in any meaningful way.

...into the light of a dark black night.
trailmaster308

2004-06-30, 09:53

Does it mention anything about suggested graphics card? Or do they just know that everything with built in firewire on up will do?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
128MB of RAM my ass. Try 512MB at least. Panther requires at least that much for cryin out loud.
Er, no.

I have Panther *SERVER* running on a 350MHz Blue/White G3 with 256MB RAM, and it's been happily doing so ever since Panther came out. And yes, pretty much every non-Windows-oriented server process is on and available.

Now, it's helped by the fact that I log into the GUI about twice a month, and rarely need it to handle graphics buffers, but still. I *do* use it to organize the iTunes library on the server, as well as the iPhoto library. And it does just fine.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 17:21

These specs, while most likely only for the dev preview leave two2 of my three computers out. I have an eMac bought in August that only has a CD-RW drive, and my Cube also only has CD-RW.

Here's hoping they change...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 17:29

Wasn't/isn't iLife '04 DVD only? I don't recall Apple giving the option for a multi-CD version or a stripped down version sans iDVD. It would seem like a goony thing to do if there are so many non-DVD Macs still floating around.

Last edited by InactionMan : 2004-06-30 at 17:29. Reason: Damn Typo.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-30, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Er, no.

I have Panther *SERVER* running on a 350MHz Blue/White G3 with 256MB RAM, and it's been happily doing so ever since Panther came out. And yes, pretty much every non-Windows-oriented server process is on and available.

Now, it's helped by the fact that I log into the GUI about twice a month, and rarely need it to handle graphics buffers, but still. I *do* use it to organize the iTunes library on the server, as well as the iPhoto library. And it does just fine.

What's the matter with you?

Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Wasn't/isn't iLife '04 DVD only? I don't recall Apple giving the option for a multi-CD version or a stripped down version sans iDVD. It would seem like a goony thing to do if there are so many non-DVD Macs still floating around.

iLife, at least the version that came with my Powerbook, ships with a CD that has iMovie, iTunes, and iPhoto, and a DVD that has all that plus GarageBand and iDVD.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
These specs, while most likely only for the dev preview leave two2 of my three computers out. I have an eMac bought in August that only has a CD-RW drive, and my Cube also only has CD-RW.

Here's hoping they change...
I was under the impression that if you had a CD-RW drive that it would read (not write) DVDs too...am I wrong in thinking that?
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-30, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I was under the impression that if you had a CD-RW drive that it would read (not write) DVDs too...am I wrong in thinking that?
with all 'combo drives" you are right but there are some cd-rw that do not read dvds
synotic

2004-06-30, 21:07

Quote:
Requirements have now diminished to the point where it means "RAM required to launch this application" which is drastically different from what's required to USE the software in any meaningful way.
Exactly. There's no deception going on. Those are the minimum requirements, and its labeled as such. There are also recommended specs which list the 512/768MB you talk about. It doesn't necessarily mean any good performance, simply that it will run on your computer. If they did raise the minimum requirements they would only annoy people that can run their software, if not slowly. An example being iChat AVs 800Mhz G3 limitation (something like that). They set the bar at which they felt people could enjoyably use video chat but people went out of their way to hack the program because they -can- run the software. Minimum requirements are just that. The least needed to run the software.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:22

Quote:

What's the matter with you?

I'm a frickin' damned broke grad student, that's what!
darkerknight

2004-07-01, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I'm a frickin' damned broke grad student, that's what!
Now to that, I can relate! I need a better job... You know, being a university student and a Mac user just doesn't fit if you want a new Mac... If your really happy with the old ones... but I WANT a new one...
StevesMom

2004-07-02, 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
How many people will be locked out because of the DVD Drive thing? A lot of original iMacs didn't have one.
They can always buy an external Firewire DVD drive...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-02, 10:04

Or do a network install... or use Firewire target disk mode with another Firewire-equipped Mac with a DVD-ROM drive. Or you can install it on a computer with a DVD-ROM drive, then either physically move the hard drive to a non-DVD computer, or use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of it on a non-DVD computer.

Maybe they're not the easiest solutions for noobs, but I am sure that anyone with intermediate knowledge of Macs will figure out how to get Tiger onto a non-DVD equipped Mac.
etphonehome

2004-07-08, 08:24

Would anyone know how to go back from 10.4 Tiger to 10.3.4 (which has been archived installed) What do I need to get out of the ram eating Tiger?

ET
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-08, 15:26

Do another archive install, of Panther. The archived system is no longer usable as a system startup folder, you have to reinstall it for it to work.
etphonehome

2004-07-08, 19:11

I tried that but its not letting me. It is not backward compatible...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-08, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphonehome
I tried that but its not letting me. It is not backward compatible...
Thus the reason builds like this are mean for... developers: because developers (or the above-average Mac user, for that matter) will know how to fix situations like this!

I see this issue come up every time people try to pirate these new builds. If you aren't prepared to completely erase your drive and lose everything you have, DON'T INSTALL A DEVELOPER BUILD.

The solution to your dilemma is in the above line. Erase/reformat your drive and you will easily be able to reinstall your old system.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-08, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Thus the reason builds like this are mean for... developers: because developers (or the above-average Mac user, for that matter) will know how to fix situations like this!

I see this issue come up every time people try to pirate these new builds. If you aren't prepared to completely erase your drive and lose everything you have, DON'T INSTALL A DEVELOPER BUILD.

The solution to your dilemma is in the above line. Erase/reformat your drive and you will easily be able to reinstall your old system.
You may find, however, that your Address Book, iTunes, and such no longer have your old data, unless you backed it up elsewhere prior to installing Tiger. The preferences files may have been altered by the new version, data files may have been updated, etc. such that your now-Tiger data does not work with Panther.

Hence, what Brad said. This was for developers, not for users.
etphonehome

2004-07-08, 21:32

True. I did back evything up. Just wanted to try out what the devil offered and got burnt.

I know I have to reformat the drive to make it go back, just thought there is something out there that I didn't know about.

etphonehome

2004-07-08, 23:35

Now I have a big problem. Upon putting the OSX 10.3 disk in, I initialized the HD and erased all info, yet I still cannot choose the destination disk...it says the system is newer than 10.3.

How do I go about formatting my drive so its 100 percent without files?

ET
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-08, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphonehome
Now I have a big problem. Upon putting the OSX 10.3 disk in, I initialized the HD and erased all info, yet I still cannot choose the destination disk...it says the system is newer than 10.3.

How do I go about formatting my drive so its 100 percent without files?

ET
Hey man, I think there should be a policy on this board that you don't ask for help with pirated software. We've already told you that YOU pirated it, so YOU'RE responsible for what happens.

I will say nothing more beyond recommending that you reformat your hard drive and reinstall Panther. If it messed with your hard drive so badly that it won't install even after reformatting, then I'm sorry, but you probably shouldn't have pirated Tiger in the first place.