User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Picking correct RAM for Apple MacBook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Picking correct RAM for Apple MacBook
Technarch

2006-05-17, 18:02

It's interesting.. I was at the Kingston and Crucial websites today using their online memory advisor to identify the guaranteed compatible memory modules.

So I have part numbers, what I don't understand is why other part numbers for so-dimms with seemingly the exact same specs in terms of speed, etc. are not listed as compatible. I wonder why. Anyone know?
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2006-05-17, 18:19

because they will slow down your computer rather than speed it up...
im not exactly sure why but maybe someone else can help out out

MacBooks and MacBook Pros use so-dimm2's, so make sure you get that when youre looking at RAM
CFP

2006-05-17, 18:41

I've a question, which (hopefully) somebody more informed than me can answer!

Does it really matter if, say, in my MacBook I had one 512mb ram stick in one slot, and a 256mb in the other?

The Crucial website seems to think so...

"For example, if your computer came with a 128MB memory module, you can add a 256MB module for a total of 384MB of RAM. However, if you have a "dual-channel" system and want to take advantage of that technology, you will need to ensure that the modules in each memory slot are the same density"

and

"Important information about your system
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules."

Surely an uneven matching can't negate the fact that I've increased the RAM by 256MB?

I hope not... I can't afford to buy two 512mb sticks.

Last edited by CFP : 2006-05-17 at 18:53.
CFP

2006-05-17, 19:11

Never mind... I think I answered my own question.

The Apple Store (UK) says:

"The MacBook uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM - which is strongly recommended - you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps."

(Sorry, can't link to it - timed session, and I don't have anywhere to host a pic).

Looks like I'll just BTO with 1GB. Happy days!
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-18, 08:14

I did a search at newegg for ram that will work I think. Which ones will work and would you all suggest for the best performance or all they all the same as long as their ratings are the same and they will fit in the MacBook? Link to the RAM
Meltedbutter421

2006-05-18, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
I did a search at newegg for ram that will work I think. Which ones will work and would you all suggest for the best performance or all they all the same as long as their ratings are the same and they will fit in the MacBook? Link to the RAM
I would suggest the Crucial (if money is no object), but I have also heard good things about the Patriot and Corsair brands, so either of the three.
You can also check here. I have bought RAM from that websight before, and would highly reccomend it.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-18, 16:02

What about the lower cost rams like gigaram, the second result on the list? It has a lifetime warranty and the same specs as all the other ones. What do you all think about it? Is it worth saving the money to go with a somewhat unknown brand or should I just not worry about the extra money to make sure I get the best ram with something like crucial or corsair? I guess corsair and the gigaram aren't that big of a money difference.
Meltedbutter421

2006-05-18, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
What about the lower cost rams like gigaram, the second result on the list? It has a lifetime warranty and the same specs as all the other ones. What do you all think about it? Is it worth saving the money to go with a somewhat unknown brand or should I just not worry about the extra money to make sure I get the best ram with something like crucial or corsair? I guess corsair and the gigaram aren't that big of a money difference.
I personally would go for Corsair, but I think Gigaram will do fine seeing that it has a lifetime warrantee. Try it out and let us know how it is.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-22, 22:58

Got the Corsair and it will get here Wednesday! Can't wait to install it because right now when I look at my memory usage it is almost always using most of the 512 MB installed.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-05-23, 01:25

I bookmarked this page for when I get my MacBook.. has a couple of RAM links in it also

Mod your Macbook
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...53&postcount=1

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-23, 07:52

I used OWC for my RAM. I used them for the 1GB stick in my Mini and they replaced the stick when I started getting kernel panics. So I just ordered 2GB for my mom's incoming MBP.

One of the best parts is they will limit your choices to the parts that fit your system if you give it the correct info.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
samuel_m

2006-07-04, 19:55

Hi All:

I got my new Macbook (black-13 inch) a couple of weeks ago, and would like to upgrade from built in 512mb of RAM (2x256) to single 1GB stick.

I was at Best Buy earlier today and the tech there recommended the following by Corsair:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7644196&type=product&productCate goryId=cat01170&id=1134699426321

Question: Is the RAM at Best Buy the same as this one sold by Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=97C26B36A5CA7304&WSMD=MacBo ok+2%2E0GHz+Intel+Core+Duo+%2813%2Dinch+Black%29&W SPN=CT541625

Will Corsair model above work just as fine as the one sold by Crucial? I have a GC at Best Buy and would like to use it towards a RAM upgrade. Any assistance you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-04, 20:02

I would skip both.

OWC has a great price on their and are very helpful. I've gotten most of my RAM from them and only had an issue once with the stick and they replaced it without question.
OWC's 1GB stick for the MB, MBP, Mac Mini, etc...

Or here to get the matched pair (though you only asked for one stick.)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-04, 20:19

That RAM from Best Buy is really overpriced (as is everything else they sell at that godawful store). I agree with turtle, buy it online and you'll save a bundle.

I'd also disregard everything in this thread leading up to your post, samuel.

- Most RAM brands are fine
- Dual channel makes almost no difference in the MacBooks
- Buying online is cheaper than buying from a store or from Apple

The people earlier in the thread (the ones who were talking about stuff back in May) don't really know what they're talking about.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-07-05, 01:07

Checkout Transintl. Thats what I ordered myself. I heard they use the same RAM Apple uses or something like that..

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...?category=2637

95$ for 1GB

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's