AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Lets go ride bikes!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lets go ride bikes!
Page 7 of 20 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-09-14, 08:31

Ahh, I'm getting pissed off. From what I can discern from the Wikipedia article on derailleurs, the broken front derailleur is top pull, E-type. I can't find a drop-in replacement anywhere. I might have to switch to a clamp-attached derailleur and with no experience on working on these things, I'm afraid of compatibility problems. I can't even get to the bike now, so I'll have to wait till next week for the workshop to open, go in and measure the frame, go buy the part, wait for the next time the workshop is open...

Bikes are expensive, how can it be that a part for a seven-year old bike is not available?
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-09-14, 11:00

Has anyone here ever seen or tried one of these seats per chance?: Moonsaddle

It makes more sense to me than having to acclimate your butt to the standard, tiny little wedge. I've always joked that one of those old, metal tractor saddles would be more comfortable than a standard seat, and that's what this thing seems inspired by. As long as it doesn't interfere with your legs while pedaling, I think it would work well.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-14, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Has anyone here ever seen or tried one of these seats per chance?: Moonsaddle

It makes more sense to me than having to acclimate your butt to the standard, tiny little wedge. I've always joked that one of those old, metal tractor saddles would be more comfortable than a standard seat, and that's what this thing seems inspired by. As long as it doesn't interfere with your legs while pedaling, I think it would work well.
I find the spine of the saddle to be very helpful for balance, and most people who have issues with comfort are simply sitting too far forward. At least on an aggressively designed road bike, the center-mass is actually your abdomen and not your butt.

I'd also be worried about twisting the seat post or damaging the rails with that design.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-27, 17:40

Well, it's (Scott CR1 Pro) coming, and I was able to get the dealer to knock about $600 off the sale price after I told him I was planning on trying bikes they don't sell. $2100 for the 17 pound bike, and having it built up instead of one that's been ridden as a demo for who knows how long.

Also got the Look Keo Sprint pedals and Shimano SH R131 shoes (wish they came in black). I tried some Diadora and Specialized shoes, but the Shimanos were the only ones wide enough at the toes and narrow enough at the heels. They also had the most padding so it didn't feel like my feet were wrapped in vinyl tape.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-09-27, 17:54

Keo pedals are cool. So light despite the large platform area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
I tried some Diadora and Specialized shoes, but the Shimanos were the only ones wide enough at the toes and narrow enough at the heels. They also had the most padding so it didn't feel like my feet were wrapped in vinyl tape.
Yeah, I have considerably narrower feet than average and I still find most road shoes about as tight-fitting as I can bear. I have Time Equipe Pros now, which I like for their insanely stiff sole and low stack height. But the toe-box is certainly narrow.

Is it true that Scott's carbon frames have to be returned to Scott once a year for a check-up? I've heard that, but it could be nothing more than a rumour.

Can't believe you ended up buying such a fancy bike. Lucky bastard.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-27, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Keo pedals are cool. So light despite the large platform area.
The Sprints are shockingly inexpensive. $140 USD or so if you go to a local shop, which is pretty good for 250g per pair. Even the $90 Classics are lighter than the ~$140 Shimano Ultegra pedals.

Quote:
Yeah, I have considerably narrower feet than average and I still find most road shoes about as tight-fitting as I can bear. I have Time Equipe Pros now, which I like for their insanely stiff sole and low stack height. But the toe-box is certainly narrow.
I figure the Shimanos are a bit heavier than average because they're so comfy. You should definitely try them out if your feet are like mine...extremely narrow heeled, wider at the toes/ball.

Quote:
Is it true that Scott's carbon frames have to be returned to Scott once a year for a check-up? I've heard that, but it could be nothing more than a rumour.
God I hope not...lol. Any sources on this? I know they're light, but the CR1 felt the most rigid laterally other than the Cannondale SystemSix I tried last weekend. I also said I was looking in the $2K range, so I think I hit my mark.

Last edited by Eugene : 2007-09-27 at 19:59.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-09-27, 20:01

An old friend of mine gave me his 2004ish Trek last summer, I just got around to buying a chain for it last month. It's amazingly better than the $75 bikes I'm used to.


Eugene
careful with axes

2007-10-02, 19:43

How it looked when it came home. I've already made a few changes.

- Took out some stack on the stem...one spacer...might ditch the other spacer even.

- Angled the bars down a couple of degrees.

- Pushed the seat back and dropped the front of the saddle.

- Kept the frisbee for now...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-10-09, 15:36

just be careful out there guys...and gals (though we know women don't really come to this, or any other, forum )

not me, but my little brother (38 years old and 6'4"...but i like to call him my "little" brother)

he won't be riding for a couple of months...they are putting in pins this friday

g

ouch...hurts everytime i look at it...almost through the skin...if the jagged break had aimed the other way it would have popped through for sure

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-10-10, 00:15

Ouch!

Glad that he is OK otherwise. This happened on his bike, right?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-10-10, 01:24

Yeah, that is pretty gruesome. Road bike or Mountain bike?
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-10-10, 05:09

Wow that's really scary. I hate seeing things like this. It really puts me off going for a ride.

I went for my first ride with my newish felt F55 a few days ago. It's fantastic. I haven't got that much to compare it too, but i haven't ridden a bike that feels this smooth before. It has had a few mods done to it, but i'm not sure what. I'd have to see what the original had first. It's the perfect fit for me to ride. I'm going to go for a longer ride on the weekend to really see how it goes. At the moment though it flies and I'm really happy that i basically got such a great bike for nothing.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-10-10, 06:10

So during the process of bike shopping a few things caught my eye that were interesting...

- Lebron James is a partial owner of Cannondale as of 2007. I had no idea they went bankrupt in 2003.
- Scott USA is run by Scott Montgomery (the name sharing is a coincidence)...his father founded Cannondale.
- Some companies like Bianchi have multiple-personalities. Bianchi USA and Reparto Corse are too very different entities.
- Your bike is probably made in a Giant factory.
- Trek sizing is retarded... Lance Armstrong, who is on the short end of 5'10" rides a Trek 58cm.
beardedmacuser

2007-10-10, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
- Trek sizing is retarded... Lance Armstrong, who is on the short end of 5'10" rides a Trek 58cm.
Yeah, and Trek sizing varies between models. Trek's 58 cm Aluminium frames were much too large for me, yet my 58 cm OCLV fits like a glove. With all bikes and all frame permutations you really have to try the actual bike you want to buy before buying it.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-10-10, 09:35

about my bros broken arm:

road bike...actually hybrid...a cannondale t1000

on a bike trail that runs along a drainage ditch...so it has a metal rail to keep people from falling down into the ditch...

anyways, he had just passed someone and was going about 25 mph, he looked back to make sure he had room to get back to his side and he started to slip some...now being an idiot he thought he could just quickly reach out and push against the metal rail and right himself...but at 25 mph his arm basically just snapped when he hit the rail and then down he went to get some nice road rash....if he had just went ahead and fell in the first place he would still have the road rash, but probably not the broken arm...

if you're going to fall kids, keep those arms in close and roll and protect your melon...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-10-17, 21:37

I just bought the most amazing bike stand. The stock saddle is going...I gave it 2 weeks to break in, but the only way I can get it comfortable is to angle the nose dramatically downward. Going to give the Fizik Arione a try.

Last edited by Eugene : 2007-10-17 at 21:52.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-11, 16:44

Amateur hour compared to some of you guys but thought I'd revive this thread to show you my new Trek Hybrid. I'll be riding on paved uneven paths and crushed gravel paths about 95% of the time but I may get a set of real-deal "nobby tires" to take this sucker on some somewhat more earthy paths.

It's one smooth-shifting mofo on hills and inclines though... really smooth ride too. Probably could've had it at a slightly better price but the shop threw in 2 years worth of unlimited tune-ups (where they break down the gears, breaks etc, clean and lube everything, yadda yadda) so that's pretty sweet.

Anyway... here ya go!

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bike...vybluegray.jpg

(not tagged because it's too big)

...into the light of a dark black night.
veryamusing

2008-04-11, 21:24

Wow, great choice!

Do you mind saying how much you did end up paying for it? I'm considering stimulating the economy come May...

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2008-04-11, 22:35

I took my bike in for a tuneup last month. Got one 4 mile ride in so far, crappy weather in MN until end of april probably
My GF bought me a wireless computer that also tracks cadance, cant wait to try it out.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-12, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
Wow, great choice!

Do you mind saying how much you did end up paying for it? I'm considering stimulating the economy come May...

With Discount and taxes applied about $440. MSRP is $540 I think. If you see it somewhere online, where you can order it assembled and shipped for a lot less than that, don't tell me... I don't want to know.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Amateur hour compared to some of you guys but thought I'd revive this thread to show you my new Trek Hybrid. I'll be riding on paved uneven paths and crushed gravel paths about 95% of the time but I may get a set of real-deal "nobby tires" to take this sucker on some somewhat more earthy paths.

It's one smooth-shifting mofo on hills and inclines though... really smooth ride too. Probably could've had it at a slightly better price but the shop threw in 2 years worth of unlimited tune-ups (where they break down the gears, breaks etc, clean and lube everything, yadda yadda) so that's pretty sweet.

Anyway... here ya go!

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bike...vybluegray.jpg
Smooth. But have you always wanted to be a human sail?

You can get such a nice bike these days for under $500, thanks to all the high-quality Taiwanese frame manufacturers. Shimano's entry level gear train stuff has also improved a lot in the last decade.

On a related topic, Lance Armstrong is opening his big bike shop, called Mellow Johnny's, pretty soon now. I think it's scheduled to open in June. Going to be a must-see for any cycling fans in Texas, or indeed the US. Visit it by bike, of course.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 11:53

A human Sail? Are you making fun of my amateur hour bike??

Maybe I should buy one of these so I can slice through the wind like soft butter:

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2008-04-17, 14:19

65ish yesterday, got the bike out for the first time in '08. 70's today, going out for a spin soon!!

Yea summer!
Boomerangmacuser

2008-04-17, 16:06

Just finished the ski season here in Vancouver. The local hills have closed with still over 550 cm of snow. People's thoughts have turned to gardening. My last day was Saturday 21 deg. C. and sunny. What a day!

Time to wax and store the skis and dust off the bike. Looking forward to this weekend.
¡Damned!

2008-04-17, 16:40

I still haven't picked up a new bike.

I've looked and looked, but nothing had really jumped out at me as being THE bike for me. Basically, I'd like something to ride to the farmers market, pick up some a couple 6-packs of beer on the way back...simple round town stuff really. Maybe ride it to a casual meeting every now and then with my laptop bag.

Lately I'm leaning towards a couple of the newer SUBs:

Kona Ute:

Yuba Mundo:

Neither are compatible with Xtracycle accessories, which is kind of a bummer because I like the SnapDeck, but I could build my own I suppose. I'm kind of leaning towards the Mundo, as it has the side bars and I could build decks on those as well to support whatever bags I end up getting/making (or maybe FreeLoaders would work). Plus, I love the weird utilitarian look of it. Though, I'd need to get it painted (I am so not a bright blue or bright red person).

So it goes.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 18:03

I think the Kona looks slightly more awesome though both are a bit on the odd side.

The bike I got last year is pretty much a rusted mess now. I rode all winter and all the snow and salt took its toll. Figures that the first year I decide to ride to work all winter Toronto gets hit with six feet of snow. I took it once to get tuned up in January and it rode like a dream for a few days but I think it needs some more lovin'. But part of me is tempted to upgrade to a fancier ride.

I'm pretty much addicted to riding now. I freak out if I go more than a few days without going for a good ride. And my co-workers have finally stopped looking at my like I'm a freak for riding in shitty weather.

So.....

What are some decent road bikes in the $500-750 range? Are there good road bikes in that price range?
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-04-18, 02:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
I think the Kona looks slightly more awesome
Agree

Quote:
So.....

What are some decent road bikes in the $500-750 range? Are there good road bikes in that price range?
Good road bikes in that range? No. [Grain of salt: By good I mean solid, lightweight, lasting components and frames that work well over time.]

But you could get a decent bike for USD 750. A safe bet would be a Trek, and as they are ubiquitous you'll save yourself some time finding one in that range. Of course, ride any bike before you buy it (it should feel right) and try to get one at a bike shop that will spend some time with you (and is hopefully conveniently located for after sale tune-ups).

Good to see a convert. And post picture if you get one. It's always fun to see new rides.
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-04-18, 04:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Smooth.

On a related topic, Lance Armstrong is opening his big bike shop, called Mellow Johnny's, pretty soon now. I think it's scheduled to open in June. Going to be a must-see for any cycling fans in Texas, or indeed the US. Visit it by bike, of course.
Kind of sad in a way. I hope that it won't suck the life out of smaller bike shops, but no doubt it will be a blow to the community in that sense. The article said that it would be stuffed with Trek, Nike and Giro. Big names, but lacking some character or intimacy as a group.

On the other hand, such a shop will inevitably get people on bikes and spark interest in the sport/activity generally.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-04-18, 04:46

709, I'm starting to see a lot more of those "extended" bike frames cropping up.

Here's another one, the SyCip Unleaded Cargo: http://sycip.com/bikes_mtn.html
beardedmacuser

2008-04-18, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I still haven't picked up a new bike.

I've looked and looked, but nothing had really jumped out at me as being THE bike for me. Basically, I'd like something to ride to the farmers market, pick up some a couple 6-packs of beer on the way back...simple round town stuff really. Maybe ride it to a casual meeting every now and then with my laptop bag.

Lately I'm leaning towards a couple of the newer SUBs:

Kona Ute:

Yuba Mundo:

Neither are compatible with Xtracycle accessories, which is kind of a bummer because I like the SnapDeck, but I could build my own I suppose. I'm kind of leaning towards the Mundo, as it has the side bars and I could build decks on those as well to support whatever bags I end up getting/making (or maybe FreeLoaders would work). Plus, I love the weird utilitarian look of it. Though, I'd need to get it painted (I am so not a bright blue or bright red person).
I don't know. They look kind of "hefty" to me. Fine if you've got LOTS of stuff to carry, but are you really going to be carrying more stuff than would fit on a touring bike? I'm not sure what touring bikes are available in the US, but off the top of my head I can think of the Trek 520 and something from Cannondale.

I bet a touring bike would ride better than one of those truck bikes.