Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Geek My Ride!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Geek My Ride!
HOM
The Elder™

2005-01-20, 12:46

I got a new job recently that is going to pay a lot more than my old gig. I was hoping that I could get a new car, but I crunched the numbers and it doesn't look possible. However, I will have the scrap to do some upgrades on the car. I'm looking to replace my current stereo with an iPod compatible system. Also I'm going to be doing a lot of driving in places I have no familiarity with so a GPS unit is in order.

Are PC based solutions any good? Should I get separate units? If so which ones? Wait for a Mac mini solution?

I've got a 1997 VW Passat.

Geek My Ride!

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-01-20, 13:02

Uh, they don't make maps for the area?

I guess I'm getting old.

Random Hero

2005-01-20, 13:08

Maybe you might want to look into a touch screen and voice activation controls, that takes the geekness to a higher level.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-01-23, 04:08

A bunch of my friends just got back from the Detroit Auto Show and I was looking through all the brochures and magazines they picked up, and damn does the new Mercedes integration look sweet. They actually display the iPod display in the dash... between the Speedometer and the Tach! You can even manipulate your way through menus using the steering wheel! If only I (or you - this is your thread, isn't it? Oops) had the money. Check it out:

Oh well. I don't think you'll be able to geek it quite that much, but, man, if only you could do that kind of stuff aftermarket. Heh.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-23, 08:55

Bah, I'm no good at geeking-out cars. I got an adapter that runs iPod audio into the unused CD changer socket on my stock head unit, and that's about it as far as electronics are concerned.

Otherwise, I've put in a modified suspension kit and got some lightweight wheels, I'll be tweaking the sway bars, and I'm debating whether to just to intake/header bolt-ons, supercharger, turbo, or an engine swap with performance cams & ECU upgrade.

I like driving my car more than sitting in it in a parking lot.