User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Dune: Now I get it

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dune: Now I get it
¡Damned!

2013-03-03, 15:45

I just recently watched it again for the hundredth time, and totally had an epiphany.

The spice. Forever and ever I thought it was cinnamon. It looked like cinnamon, it was in a stick like cinnamon. But no. Today I realized that it was cumin.

How? When Paul bites into that stick of spice, I was always like "eww! that's a lot of cinnamon!" - but cumin makes so much more sense. I could eat a ton of that and I'd only feel like a better person.

So, tldr, cumin is spice! I feel so much better now.

Disclaimer: I'm cooking right now. With cumin.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-03-03, 15:50

Damn, now I need some chilli.
¡Damned!

2013-03-03, 15:57

I'm making my World Famous Corn Chowder™

It's so damn good. Bonus: the whole house smells like roasted garlic. Such an awesome smell.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2013-03-03, 19:33

Cumin is my favorite spice, on it's own it kind of smells like an old tennis shoe, but mixed in anything it's devine.
is Dune the movie with Sting and the flying Oompa loompa?

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-03-03, 21:20

I love cumin too. I add it to just about everything...or I would if I did not restrain myself. But you can't really bite into it on its own. I have tried, and it just makes me nauseous. I find the flavour too overwhelming just alone.

As for Dune, reading the first book in the series put me off of fantasy/scifi for about 10 years until I realized that just because it is fantasy/scifi does not mean it has to be badly written. The ideas in the book are moderately interesting, but the writing itself is sophomoric. I have heard from others that the next books in the series are even worse. I can't confirm that, because I was never inspired to read any more of them.

As for Dune the movie, didn't it flop when it came out all those years ago? In any event, I don't remember a sequel, which would be a sign that Hollywood thought that it was less than a flop.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-03-03, 22:36

Hollywood is all about remakes, though, especially if there is sophomoric writing involved. They could even get Captain Picard to reprise his character if they decided to film one in the next few years. He's not Saruman-old or even Henry Jones Sr.-old, but he is getting up there in the years. So, they'd better act soon!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2013-03-04, 00:01

Paramount just gave up their option on Dune. thoughts were splitting it up, trying to turn it into a franchise, 4 years trying to get it off the ground.
yes the Dune with Sting and Kyle Mclachlin was an enormously expensive bomb, it's quite amusing to watch it's so incoherent and you wonder where all the money went.
I thought the spice must have been cocaine.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-03-04, 00:22

Yeah, putting a guy like Lynch in charge of a huge, effects laden movie with only Eraserhead and Elephant Man under his belt was pretty insane. I can see the thinking-- Elephant Man was a triumph of other worldly style, and proved that the weirdo auteur could blend his sensibilities with a reasonably accessible script.

But you can clearly see that Lynch was only able to control a small fraction of the vast enterprise that is movie making at this level. So you get that horrible exposition in voice over, followed by a beautiful set, followed by more voice over, followed by some cool shit, then some ridiculous shit, etc. Pretty obviously there were massive continuity problems that had to get papered over as best they could; my guess is a bunch of stuff never got shot before they ran out of budget. That or Lynch got so mesmerized by bits and pieces he just couldn't plow through it all. Plus, there are those trademark De Laurentiis shitty effects, never more hilarious than during the blue screen worm ride that looks like something out of Blazing Saddles.

A proper Dune would be cool, but it needs a quirky director, not some blockbuster hack. Someone like del Toro. I'm afraid that these days no one wants to sink the money into a property as intrinsically odd as Dune, at least not at the amounts necessary to do it right.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-03-04, 00:58

Actually, the jumps in continuity were because most of it was left on the editing floor.

Ever seen the original director's cut? I saw it when it came out - they were handing out explanatory pamphlets to ticket buyers. Might still have mine, somewhere.
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-03-04, 02:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Actually, the jumps in continuity were because most of it was left on the editing floor.

Ever seen the original director's cut? I saw it when it came out - they were handing out explanatory pamphlets to ticket buyers. Might still have mine, somewhere.
How long is the director's cut? Does it help? Was some hint of charisma on Kyle MacLachlan's part one of the things that got cut?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-03-04, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
How long is the director's cut? Does it help? Was some hint of charisma on Kyle MacLachlan's part one of the things that got cut?
It's over three hours, and it adds a lot of the bits and pieces missing.

No charisma, however. I'm not sure I've ever seen any from him, no matter how much I adore the works he's been in?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2013-03-04, 03:59

What I love about Dune? Toto soundtrack.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2013-03-04, 10:04

IIRC I first read the book about age 10. Was always impressed by the breadth of the back story, density of the mythos, etc. Considered it almost Tolkein-esque in scope (if not in quality).

I recall memorising and using the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear to try and deal with phobias of wasps and stinging things
I will not fear
Fear is the mind-killer
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration
I will face my fear
I will permit it to pass over me and through me
And when it has gone, I will turn to see fear's path
There will be nothing, only I will remain*
I met Frank Herbert at a SciFi convention during the making of the film where he showed slides from the production and talked about the novel and pending film. He said the producers had asked him to cut the script down from epic length and cost, "so I went away and cut six pages, and they told me 'you just saved us $ 6 Million USD.'"

The TV miniseries, and the version alternatively titled Children of Dune / Dune Apocalypse both had stylish aspects that were arguably improvements on the Lynch film (better ornithopters/thumpers/worms/crysknives/etc)... to say nothing of better acting from the leads... but it's hard to outdo Lynch's Harkkonnens for pustulent creep factor and Sting's intensity.

* It helped

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2013-03-04 at 14:12.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-03-12, 09:33

I stopped trying to understand Dune when I saw this:

That was about 14 seconds into the trailer. But if it inspired you to make Chili 30 years later, it was all worth it, don't you think?

...into the light of a dark black night.