User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Search?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-28, 12:45

I'm reading headlines now that talk about Apple building its own search engine to aide in moving away from Google. Personally I used DuckDuckGo already but this doesn't make much sense if they aren't going to use me as a product and make money off of my data and search history.

I'm sure there must be money in there somewhere otherwise they wouldn't even consider it. Given their public stance on privacy this would be a great development for the end user... bad for organizations like DuckDuckGo though. It kinda screams more monopoly movement rather than customer benefit.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-28, 13:11

I also use DuckDuckGo, and will likely continue to do so. I have it set as default on my home machines and my iPhone.

Apple's search so far appears to be related to the iPhone/iPad Home screen-based search and nothing more than that, although it is highly likely that it will eventually find its way into Safari. If there is no tracking/ad-based model then please, bring it on!

I suspect it will be inferior to pretty much every other search engine for some time, but considering what I use search for it will likely suffice. It is not Apple's strength, but it is something they can slowly build into (like Siri) while we rely on other, more robust search engines if Apple Search® is unable to find a good answer.

I see it this way: When Safari came out, I started using it right away and have never looked back. Same with iTunes, Pages, Address Book, Mail, etc. Got no use for "free" services from other companies, because I do not want to be their product any more than I already am.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-28, 15:12

Applebot is a thing, for stuff like Siri and Spotlight. Could be a sign that they're slowly building up the index and eventually pulling that lever. Probably not, though.

I don't like this situation where Google dominates the market (someone asked me the other day why it's a problem of Google to have massive market penetration, and, um…), which is self-perpetuating in ways like web developers not even bothering to test how well their site ranks in other engines.

I also understand the privacy angle.

But I also don't know that I want Apple to half-ass yet another vanity project just because they want to control their destiny. Apple Maps, for example, isn't bad, but it's still, after eight years, not quite as good as Google Maps. I don't want an entire decade of Apple wishfully thinking its own engine is better, and everyone knowing it isn't.