User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (S.E. banter)


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (S.E. banter)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-08-30, 08:46

With any luck at all, it'll be either a Green Day or Ashlee Simpson Special Edition iPod. And I, for one, can't WAIT!









 
Baron Munchausen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
 
2005-08-30, 09:09

No offence, but I find even the U2 edition rather unfortunate.
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-08-30, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen
No offence, but I find even the U2 edition rather unfortunate.
What would it offend? No one cares anymore. Talk about something sticking around longer than it needed to...

At the time of its announcement, it was pretty cool...their new album was coming out, they were pushing that cool deal where you could get their whole catalog for a great price, the "Vertigo" iPod commercial was all over the TV, Bono was running for re-election as The Greatest and Most Noble Human Being on the Planet Everô and seemed to be in 300 places at once, etc.

A year later, taking into account that any true, die-hard fan has long ago owned one of these, I'm often curious why they're still around.



I'm betting it expires soon. Either replaced by nothing, or another band gets to spend an entire year as the unofficial Apple house band (Coldplay, Green Day, P Puff Diddy Daddy Paddy Whack Flap Jack - or whatever he's calling himself in six months)


Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2005-08-30 at 09:43.
 
oldmacfan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mile 1
 
2005-08-30, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
What would it offend? No one cares anymore. Talk about something sticking around longer than it needed to...

A year later, taking into account that any true, die-hard fan has long ago owned one of these, I'm often curious why they're still around.
9 months doesn't make a year, but it does make a baby.

They are still around because people are still buying them.

Not every die-hard fan had the money to run out and buy one. Some of us die-hard fans are poor and would have to save up money over a long time to buy one. I only have one because it was given to me as a gift last Christmas.

Think about it, they added a color screen to it and if Apple ends up doing the music video thing, then you are going to see a lot of U2 video's for-sale.

People who are not U2 fans have been awaiting the departure of this product since MWSF 2005. I would find it very odd if it Apple stopped making them before next year sometime.

Mile 1
 
rasmits
rams it
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
 
2005-09-02, 15:12

Ummm...

GREEN DAY!! To introduce the special edition Green Day iPod! Oh my lord, I'd wet myself repeatedly.
 
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-02, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Ummm...

GREEN DAY!! To introduce the special edition Green Day iPod! Oh my lord, I'd wet myself repeatedly.
I probably would too...

haha
 
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kitchener, ON
Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-09-02, 17:46

I think Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin would be better suited for the next special edition iPods. But thats for another thread.

As for the Thinksecret news, I like the idea of smaller mini's and making the shuffle cheaper. I also tend to agree with Thinksecrets thoughts that the high end mini's pricing wouldnt hurt it that much since the minis are far more popular than the original sized iPods.
 
oldmacfan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mile 1
 
2005-09-03, 11:58

Pink Floyd does have a decent catalog of music, but they are not going to get a SE iPod. As for Green Day they do not have the history or the catalog or for that matter the world wide fan base needed to have a SE iPod.

I personally enjoy both bands and have Floyd on as many media types as U2. Now granted I did have PF on 8-track (gave them away along time ago) and never had any U2 on 8-track.

On a side note, I can remember a used record store at college back in '87 that had 8-tracks, records or all sizes, cassettes, and CD's. It was tough finding what you wanted on a media you could play.

Mile 1
 
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-03, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Pink Floyd does have a decent catalog of music, but they are not going to get a SE iPod. As for Green Day they do not have the history or the catalog or for that matter the world wide fan base needed to have a SE iPod.

I personally enjoy both bands and have Floyd on as many media types as U2. Now granted I did have PF on 8-track (gave them away along time ago) and never had any U2 on 8-track.

On a side note, I can remember a used record store at college back in '87 that had 8-tracks, records or all sizes, cassettes, and CD's. It was tough finding what you wanted on a media you could play.
You know what, just don't start that, especially when it's bullshit. Green Day most certainly does have the catalogue and the fan base to support an SE iPod. They play to 60,000 seat stadiums now, so please speak only when you know what you're talking about. They're 2 time grammy winners and have 8 studio albums to their credit. They could easily pull off an SE iPod...and it would sell better than the U2 iPod...why? The Green Day fan base is comprised of younger people with disposable income or parents who will buy for their kids.

Green Day is the biggest band in the world right now.
 
Mac+
9" monochrome
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I'm here
 
2005-09-03, 13:15

wow

(Mac+ makes mental note ... M'tosh is infatuated with Green Day)
 
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-09-03, 19:46

BRING ON THE GREENDAY iPOD!!!

I'll take too please...
 
iCarus
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Illawarra
 
2005-09-03, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
You know what, just don't start that, especially when it's bullshit. Green Day most certainly does have the catalogue and the fan base to support an SE iPod. They play to 60,000 seat stadiums now, so please speak only when you know what you're talking about. They're 2 time grammy winners and have 8 studio albums to their credit. They could easily pull off an SE iPod...and it would sell better than the U2 iPod...why? The Green Day fan base is comprised of younger people with disposable income or parents who will buy for their kids.

Green Day is the biggest band in the world right now.
Well, part of that is true, Green Day are big, but not the biggest band in the world. They have the fan base and a decent catalogue but certainly not the history that U2 or Pink Floyd have. I just don't see them getting a special edition iPod anytime soon. Nor Pink Floyd for that matter, the original front man is dead, and the band haven't spoken to each other for 20 years aside from their brief reunion at Live8.

If Apple Comp. and Apple Corp. kiss and make up then the Beatles would be the most likely although I don't think this will happen just yet. All things considered I think The Rolling Stones have the best chance, they're still touring and still drawing huge crowds, their music is still damn good and the shows are excellent, and their entire catalogue is available on iTunes - it'd be a cinch to put together another digital box-set of The Stones' greatest hits.

Just my 2 cents.

Flying High....but not too high....
 
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley
 
2005-09-04, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
You know what, just don't start that, especially when it's bullshit. Green Day most certainly does have the catalogue and the fan base to support an SE iPod. They play to 60,000 seat stadiums now, so please speak only when you know what you're talking about. They're 2 time grammy winners and have 8 studio albums to their credit. They could easily pull off an SE iPod...and it would sell better than the U2 iPod...why? The Green Day fan base is comprised of younger people with disposable income or parents who will buy for their kids.

Green Day is the biggest band in the world right now.

wow, you are more of an idiot than i thought
 
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 01:38

U2 : check, Pink Floyd, Green days ? : I don't even know them.
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 03:08

Note to self: do not insult J-Lo's honor in front of ShawnPatrickJoyce (he stopped just short of challenging me to a duel over it, a couple of years ago). And do not demean Green Day in the presence of Messiahtosh.

Okay, now that I've got those ironed out...


Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2005-09-04 at 03:09.
 
iCarus
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Illawarra
 
2005-09-04, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdoc
U2 : check, Pink Floyd, Green days ? : I don't even know them.
OK, that's sorta odd, I hope my sarcasm meter is broken cause if not, that's really really poor form.
 
Mac+
9" monochrome
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I'm here
 
2005-09-04, 07:56

iCarus (just fyi) - Powerdoc is from France, is not a native English speaker and he very well may not know of Pink Floyd or M'tosh's infatuation.
 
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-09-04, 08:03

M'tosh Isnt the only one... Greenday rules...THERE NEEDS TO BE A GREENDAY iPod SE!!!

[JEDI MIND TRICK/] you all agree with me, there will be a greenday ipod [/END JEDI MIND TRICK]

Last edited by HezMah19 : 2005-09-04 at 08:07.
 
losslesshead
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Send a message via AIM to losslesshead  
2005-09-04, 08:47

A green day SE would be nice. I am a green day fan, but i woldnt be able to get it seeing as i got an ipod photo only a little while ago (mont or two).

Hmmm... Mac Mini? Maybe. Mac Pro? Probably Not. iMac? Who knows!?
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 09:43

Anyone who wears their guitar below their wang and who sings in such an affected "punk" accent makes the needle spike on my Pose-O-Meterô. If Disneyworld had Punk-World, those guys would be the posterboys and house band (with shows at 1, 3, 5 and 7, followed by autographs and photos with the kids).



Now I'm gonna get assassinated by Messiahtosh...
 
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Anyone who wears their guitar below their wang and who sings in such an affected "punk" accent makes the needle spike on my Pose-O-Meterô. If Disneyworld had Punk-World, those guys would be the posterboys and house band (with shows at 1, 3, 5 and 7, followed by autographs and photos with the kids).



Now I'm gonna get assassinated by Messiahtosh...
Yeah, you know what you're talking about.

Green Day makes some really catchy and fun music, and Billie Joe's voice is one of the reasons I love the group so much. There's nothing quite like it and the group's showmanship is outstanding, they put on an absolutely incredible live performance....for $35, whether it be in Giant Stadium or in a basketball arena.

They have a string of hits and their current album is relevant, some would even argue, important.

Longview
Basketcase
Welcome to Paradise
When I Come Around
She
Walking Contradiction
Christie Road
Good Riddance
Nice Guys Finish Last
Walking Alone
On The Wagon
Warning
Waiting
Minority
Castaway
Macy's Day Parade
American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Holiday
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Wake Me Up When September Ends

They should have a SE iPod.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-09-04 at 10:45.
 
MCQ
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NY
Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-04, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
[b]Note to self[b]: do not insult J-Lo's honor in front of ShawnPatrickJoyce (he stopped just short of challenging me to a duel over it, a couple of years ago). And do not demean Green Day in the presence of Messiahtosh.

Okay, now that I've got those ironed out...

... time passes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Anyone who wears their guitar below their wang and who sings in such an affected "punk" accent makes the needle spike on my Pose-O-Meterô. If Disneyworld had Punk-World, those guys would be the posterboys and house band (with shows at 1, 3, 5 and 7, followed by autographs and photos with the kids).



Now I'm gonna get assassinated by Messiahtosh...
I like how you follow your notes.

And, I won't follow your note either... so M'tosh: Green Day iPod SE?
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 11:50

I was good, and followed my notes, for one day.
 
Artap99
Totally awesome.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2005-09-04, 12:25

I have the Green Day SE iPod. It may look like a 3G 40GB plain white iPod, but it has all of their albums on it.

Come to think of it, I have the Pink Floyd SE, Genesis SE, Rolling Stones SE, and Beatles SE, too.
 
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-09-04, 13:48

SE iPod? Are you guys kidding? This is a "Special Event".

As much as Green Day rocks (most of their songs are 4-5 stars on my library), they wouldn't pre-announce a SE iPod. It would be a surprise thing, like at the tail end of a keynote.

This will probably be an entirely new media-oriented (not necessarily music-oriented) device or service.

You ask me for a hamburger.
 
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley
 
2005-09-04, 16:31

Quote:
There's nothing quite like it and the group's showmanship is outstanding, they put on an absolutely incredible live performance....for $35, whether it be in Giant Stadium or in a basketball arena.
more like 45 dollars and that's only because they can't charge more since they wouldn't come close to selling out then. supply and demand.

Kelly Clarkson plays to arenas. Brittany Spears plays to stadiums. The size of a venue you can play too means shit as far as talent and lasting power.

Quote:
They have a string of hits and their current album is relevant, some would even argue, important.
Their current album has simpleton writing that only is noteworthy because they are "antibush" and on the radio. It doesn't make it great and frankly I find it a bit sad that this is what is considered relevent and important music today. Go back and listen to what music was in the 60s and 70s and how it was relevent to the times and events and there is simply no comparison.

Steve Earle is relevent, not Green Day who did something just to sell records and gain publicity.

Quote:
Longview
Basketcase
Welcome to Paradise
When I Come Around
She
Walking Contradiction
Christie Road
Good Riddance
Nice Guys Finish Last
Walking Alone
On The Wagon
Warning
Waiting
Minority
Castaway
Macy's Day Parade
American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Holiday
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Wake Me Up When September Ends
Half does songs are never played on radio and 3/4 of them share the same chord progression.

Quote:
They should have a SE iPod.
They never will

Quote:
Anyone who wears their guitar below their wang and who sings in such an affected "punk" accent makes the needle spike on my Pose-O-Meterô. If Disneyworld had Punk-World, those guys would be the posterboys and house band (with shows at 1, 3, 5 and 7, followed by autographs and photos with the kids).
As usual, you summed them up perfectly
 
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
more like 45 dollars and that's only because they can't charge more since they wouldn't come close to selling out then. supply and demand.

Kelly Clarkson plays to arenas. Brittany Spears plays to stadiums. The size of a venue you can play too means shit as far as talent and lasting power.



Their current album has simpleton writing that only is noteworthy because they are "antibush" and on the radio. It doesn't make it great and frankly I find it a bit sad that this is what is considered relevent and important music today. Go back and listen to what music was in the 60s and 70s and how it was relevent to the times and events and there is simply no comparison.

Steve Earle is relevent, not Green Day who did something just to sell records and gain publicity.



Half does songs are never played on radio and 3/4 of them share the same chord progression.


They never will



As usual, you summed them up perfectly
Have you ever heard of minimalism? Wood n' wire? Jesus...

A lot more people really love it than deride it.

Steve Earle drones and sucks...he was good for 3 songs. Copperhead Road, Snake Oil, and Guitar Town...everything else is ten times too twangy for his own good. He's not some bad-ass renegade hick...he's just hick...but I guess we need that every now and then. Heh, Roger Clyne covers him...


BTW, at least 13 of the songs I listed are regularly given airplay.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-09-04 at 16:50.
 
DMBand0026
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
 
2005-09-04, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
BTW, at least 13 of the songs I listed are regularly given airplay.
Not that I totally agree with one party and totally disagree with another, but I feel have to interject here because you've done something that bothers me considerably.

Airplay does not equal talent.

Some of the most phenomenal bands ever will barely ever have their songs played on a radio. Don't begin to think that just because someone gets radio play that means they are talented or worth the time they're getting on the airwaves.

I repeat: Airplay does not equal talent. In fact, the opposite is often true.

It's sad that the most talented bands in the world get crap airtime when they deserve the most and the most untalented singers and bands get the most airplay.

That said, I am a Green Day fan. Are they deserving of their own SE iPod...I'm really not sure yet. I enjoy their music but I don't think they've done anything revolutionary either on or off the stage as U2 has.

Come waste your time with me
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 20:03

Exactly. I didn't want to comment on that because it was such a huge target...



These days, just looking at the charts and also hearing what's on when I do put the radio on, I don't consider "airplay", in and of itself, to mean damn much of anything.

Have you HEARD some of the crap that gets played on stations, in fairly heavy rotation?



As for the Green Day/U2 thing, I agree with that too.

If Green Day is actually around in another decade or so - and continues to produce "important" albums - then there may truly be a place for it. And an actual demand, besides seven people.

We can quibble on their validity and impact, but I simply don't think they've made a huge, wide-ranging impact. Not in the way U2 has. And I truly doubt they ever will. They're not that type of band, really.

That's not a slam, that's just the case. 20 years after the fact, people STILL talk about U2's Live Aid performance in London.

If "airplay", sales, popularity, contributions to pop culture, fashion, expanding beyond the music business and having success in other pursuits, etc. are all the factors that go into this, Garth Brooks or Madonna deserve a SE iPod before Green Day, for crying out loud.

 
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-09-04, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Not that I totally agree with one party and totally disagree with another, but I feel have to interject here because you've done something that bothers me considerably.

Airplay does not equal talent.

Some of the most phenomenal bands ever will barely ever have their songs played on a radio. Don't begin to think that just because someone gets radio play that means they are talented or worth the time they're getting on the airwaves.

I repeat: Airplay does not equal talent. In fact, the opposite is often true.

It's sad that the most talented bands in the world get crap airtime when they deserve the most and the most untalented singers and bands get the most airplay.

That said, I am a Green Day fan. Are they deserving of their own SE iPod...I'm really not sure yet. I enjoy their music but I don't think they've done anything revolutionary either on or off the stage as U2 has.
I never claimed that airplay equaled quality. Never. Nor do I believe that. Return O' The Nut was the one that brought up airplay.
 
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next

Closed

Forum Jump
Thread Tools

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2020, AppleNova