User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My Dream App
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
BenP

2006-10-23, 18:54

My Dream App is Phill Ryu's current project, and it's pretty cool, I think. Basically, people submitted ideas for applications they would like to have made, Phill and some other judges picked the best ideas, and then people voted for them. Apps were eliminated round by round, and now it's the final round. The three apps that get the highest votes this round will be made.

Personally, I really want to see Hijack be made, because the video mockups look awesome and I would use it pretty regularly. Portal is pretty nice, too. Anyways, vote, because then you get some free shareware apps (PhotoPresenter and Overflow).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-23, 18:57

Cool link, thanks Ben!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-10-23, 19:05

I was voting early on by my favorite went out about a week ago. Of those remaining, I guess Hijack is the app I'd use the most. It's a great idea for a contest though.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-10-23, 19:48

Very cool. I really like Hijack. I'm also enjoying my free software Thanks BenP.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2006-10-23, 20:27

i really really hate to say it since it resembles window's 50+ toolbars, but i think im in love with that ground control app. too bad it lost out already
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-23, 20:32

I've been voting for Hijack and Cookbook the whole way through. I'd use Hijack if it was free, but I think I'd actually pay for Cookbook.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-10-23, 22:22

I was voting for Desktop Wars but the guy developing the idea was a bit of a dolt so the app turned evil. Now I just want Atmosphere to win. CookBook already exists as either Connoisseur or MacGourment, beside don't most people just use allrecipes.com or actual cookbooks?

I have enjoyed the free apps though. I'm actually digging the OverFlow app from this round of voting.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-10-23, 22:49

Atmosphere, Hijack, and Ground Control Whistler FTW!

Last edited by SpecMode : 2006-10-23 at 23:41. Reason: Oops...forgot that GC was eliminated last round. :(
Ghost2

2006-10-24, 05:15

I've been voting for Atmosphere it's not really useful, I just think it's a really cool app.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-10-24, 05:54

I have been voting for Portal, Hijack, and cookbook all the way through but I am probably going to buy all 3 apps that win unless Whistler wins. I just have no use for that.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-10-25, 17:26

OK this is ending TONIGHT and the voting is very tight! Last time I checked it was #1 way ahead then number two 18% while number 3 and 4 are at 17.8% separated by only a few votes (5 right now). I personally really want Portal and Hijack to win. So if you are interested or just want to do me a favor by voting for apps I really want to be made then go to the website. Thanks!!!!
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-10-25, 22:52

Atmosphere, Portal, and Cookbook are the winners! (well, one for three wasn't bad...I may yet buy Cookbook and put it to use, though.)
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-10-25, 22:57

Atmosphere seems like it is just a resource hog! Just freaking look outside!!!!
Hijack needs to be picked up by a developer though! That would be awesome!!! Omni group maybe? Anybody with experience in this sort of thing want to give me the odds that this app gets picked up by a developer?
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-10-25, 22:59

It's almost a given that someone is going to make Hijack a reality...it's just a matter of who and when.

As for Atmosphere being a 'resource hog'...eh, I've got plenty of resources to spare that aren't doing anything useful anyway.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-10-25, 23:05

Atmosphere? Seriously? Aren't there already 100 apps/widgets that do basically the same thing? Yeah, sure, it's got a pretty UI... whatever.

Portal and Hijack are very unique... and Cookbook unique to the Mac market AFAIK.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-10-25, 23:15

Well, only one of my choices won (Portal), but I can deal. I would have liked to have seen Blossom, though.

Overall, a very interesting contest. I considered submitting an idea for a Collaborative UML editor... But then I realize that idea has absolutely no appeal to the general populace.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-10-25, 23:40

Connoisseur is very similar to cookbook! I am a huge cookbook fan, but Connoisseur does basically the same things.
BenP

2006-10-26, 09:43

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed that Hijack didn't win. Maybe some other company will contact Kevin (Hijack's creator) and it will be made anyway. Atmosphere and Cookbook are a waste, IMO.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-26, 09:53

For those disappointed about Hijack, I recommend you open your eyes and read Jens Alfke's commentary

In a nutshell, the app would be a nice concept, but is prohibitively difficult to implement.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-10-26, 10:09

The idea didn't require AI, as presumed in that blog entry... It expected the user to identify the sections of content per website.

Of course, that would still require massive amounts of programming. However, one of the programmers seemed very excited about it.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-26, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375 View Post
It expected the user to identify the sections of content per website.
For every single website? And what happens after a redesign? And how does the app figure out all the additional information such as last poster, unread posts, etc.? It still involves a huge amount of guesswork.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-10-26, 11:37

1. suggest app to be made
2. ???
3. profit

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-10-26, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
Atmosphere? Seriously? Aren't there already 100 apps/widgets that do basically the same thing? Yeah, sure, it's got a pretty UI... whatever.
Amen. The most stupid app of them all and it wins by a big margin...
Portal is a great idea even if the UI seems terribly useless.
Cookbook, I can imagine being useful - if executed correctly. Would be nice to see what we ate the last month to get ideas from and such.
and the three losers which I actually wanted... Hope someone makes them.

As for Hijack, yes, it would be hard, but you'd not need different scrapers for every single forum out there, only the different kinds of boards like phpBB and VBulletin.

Converted 07/2005.
BenP

2006-10-26, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
For every single website? And what happens after a redesign? And how does the app figure out all the additional information such as last poster, unread posts, etc.? It still involves a huge amount of guesswork.
The widely used ones (vBulletin, etc.) were going to be pre-defined. The ones with customization would be mapped out by one user, uploaded somewhere, and when another user tried to accesses that forum, Hijack would download the setup for that forum. So many users wouldn't even have to tell the app what is what.

From the lead developer for MDA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harris
this idea is fully implementable by the MDA team
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-10-26, 18:50

Cool thread. I would have voted for Blossom.
http://www.getblossom.com/
rasmits
rams it

2006-10-26, 20:12

Too bad, I was really looking forward to Hijack.

Desktop Wars looked neat too.

I can't believe Atmosphere won. I can get weather information just about anywhere.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-10-26, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
I can't believe Atmosphere won. I can get weather information just about anywhere.
Yeah...an application that takes up resources to do something I could do by turning my head to look out the window, or go to dashboard, or even go to a weather site is ridiculous IMHO. I will give it a try but I doubt I will like it for the resources it will most likely use!
v.noir

2006-10-26, 20:48

I was looking forward to Hijack... I thought it'd win for sure as well.
chucker

2006-10-27, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
As for Hijack, yes, it would be hard, but you'd not need different scrapers for every single forum out there, only the different kinds of boards like phpBB and VBulletin.
Not true. The template bits can be so heavily customized that the HTML output looks completely different, therefore one and the same software could produce very different results that Hijack would have to interpret.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-27, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Not true. The template bits can be so heavily customized that the HTML output looks completely different, therefore one and the same software could produce very different results that Hijack would have to interpret.
chucker has a point. AppleNova's own templates are heavily modified like this. It takes more than a CSS files and some minor tweaking to get this site looking the way it does.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.