Athletes that you think might take steroids
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-20, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Just curious... How do steroids help baseball players? I know nothing about baseball, but surely it's not a particularly athletic sport? I've seen an awful lot of fat middle-aged men playing.

fat middle aged men in MLB? Maybe David Wells but its the exception to the rule.

95% of MLB players are in terrific physical shape. Every sport requires a different type of fitness and athleticism.

Quote:
Also, a lot of times guys on the juice will literally have their muscle rip off of the bone. In Nomar Garciapara's case, this was true (though there is no proof of actual steroid use in his case, it is pretty obvious that he was or is a user).

What happens is your bones are not capable of supporting the incredible amount of muscle mass that is on top of them, so, the muscle outlives the bone's ability to support it and then breaks away.

A guy in my gym ripped his pecs right off of the bone. The muscle just curled up and came unhinged, so to speak. Needless to say, the guy had to be rushed to the hospital and was in a terrible amount of pain.
Saying that about Nomar is just stupid. There is nothing suggesting he used steroids. Saying his injury basically confirms he was a steroid user is very ignorant.

Also, muscles are connected to bones via tendons. Stereoids overdevelop the muscles but the same development is not done on the muscle tendons which are really just as important. Even then, tendon snaps are not a rarity when doing extreme physical activity. More likely Nomar had very strong halmstrings, was not properly stretched and warmed up and made a sudden sprint movement where the muscle was strong enough to snap the tendon and he was not stretched out and warm.

BenP

2006-03-20, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauvblanc
Whilst not an "athlete"...this guy's definitely on the juice-digging up an old thread, I think

Biggest Arms In The World

That's just..gross, you know?
I think synthol is more responsible for that than steroids are. Synthol is a synthetic oil injected into a muscle to make it bigger. Basically he got a breast enlargement for his arms.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-22, 20:24

Oh my.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2380226

Who woulda guessed?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-23, 08:04

Ken Griffey Jr. - disagree (he's never been that big or shown other manifestations such as huge jumps in numbers)

Sammy Sosa - guaranteed, including the year he and McGuire were battling

Juan Gonzalez - probably

Manny Ramirez - don't know

Ivan Rodriguez - doubtful (he's called "pudge" for a reason; he's a naturally heavy built guy, and still not "huge")

I'll add Barry Bonds - without question IMO. He, like Sosa was never a naturally heavy-set or muscular guy. Both were tall and lean, then suddenly became Lou Ferigno several years ago. Even their necks and faces show strong evidence of some type of hormone abuse. 101%, absolute, no questions asked, both of these guys are roids boyz. Sure they work out like monsters but many pro athletes (who are naturally built like Sosa and Bonds were) do that, and never achieve even 60% of the muscle mass these too assholes have.

And Sammy saying "I don speak uh English" to Congress was possibly the most deceitful lie of them all. He's only sat in front of throngs of American media and answered all kinds of questions his entire career.

...into the light of a dark black night.

hflomberg

2006-03-23, 09:31

Err -- Dolly Parton?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-23, 10:16

Ya think?

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-23, 11:09

Griffey has had repeated and violent leg injuries. There may be a connection.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-23, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
So have I but I don't use steroids.

eventhorizon

2006-03-23, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Injury prone != steroid. In fact, if you knew anything about sports the rumors surrounding Griffey are that he is just one of those naturally gifted athletes that doesn't work out much and therein lies the problem...he doesn't take good enough care of himself and gets nicked up because of it.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-23, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizon
Injury prone != steroid. In fact, if you knew anything about sports the rumors surrounding Griffey are that he is just one of those naturally gifted athletes that doesn't work out much and therein lies the problem...he doesn't take good enough care of himself and gets nicked up because of it.
He has also defended Barry Bonds.

eventhorizon

2006-03-23, 15:28

Baroid Bonds is indefensible but at the same time all that proves is that Griffey is an idiot, not a junkie. In fact, him being an idiot fits perfectly with him not taking care of himself.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-23, 16:02

I can feel a Messiahtosh Train Wreck™ coming very soon...

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-23, 16:25

This thread was basically crap to begin with, and has turned into a "He's evil!" type with zero information to back it up.

If you want to discuss steroids and what they've done to sports, feel free. Threads about "This person must be on roids because they got injured" aren't welcome. I should have locked this day 1.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me