AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Mach 3 Blades/Shaving in general

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mach 3 Blades/Shaving in general
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-07-08, 23:21

I used to use the Mach 3 blades, but found them way to expensive and not worth the difference. I went back to my Sensor Excel and am very happy.

I also use the Aveeno shaving cream and I finish up with witch hazel as an aftershave. It all keeps my face tolerably happy.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
darshu

2004-07-09, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Mach 3 (the original) with Gillette Gel followed by Nivea after shave balm

Teh winning combination that can't be beat!

Yes, it's perfectly normal for computer science majors to keep their shaving supplies by the computer.
Hey Brad what model of NEC MultiSync do you have back there, just out of curiosity. I have a FE-950+ which I got for something like $200 Canadian a few years ago. Triple-price-matching is good
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-09, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshu
Hey Brad what model of NEC MultiSync do you have back there, just out of curiosity. I have a FE-950+ which I got for something like $200 Canadian a few years ago. Triple-price-matching is good
MultiSync FP950 -- I think the predecessor to yours. I got this one in mid-2000 and I know I paid at least US$400 for it! :wow:

...but it was well worth it. It's still the best damn monitor I've used. I'd like to replace it with an LCD, but I haven't found any within a doable price range that can compare to the color quality and contrast.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-07-09, 09:51

New blades are for sissies. I'm still using whatever original blade that came with the free Mach 3 I was sent in the mail (how I got on a list for a free razor I don't know). I'm gonna use that baby til it's dull as a spoon!!

Shhhh, I can't see!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-09, 12:07

Just don't go crying to the doctor when you get some hideous skin infection or tetanus from reusing a really old razor!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-07-09, 12:25

Waiting 3-4 days to shave ruins the blade and is a lot more painful to me than going through the daily torture. I tried 3-4, I went down to every other day (I have light, soft faical hair and it doesn't grow fast) and have made it an everyday habit. I barely feel it except for a few spots (a cowlick, under my nose, my chin). My blades last longer too.

I'm using a Mach 3, but it doesn't do a good job around a cowlick I have in my beard. I can nick myself easily there. I keep meaning to try something else like a Schick, but paying $10 or more for a handful of blades is hard enough to justify.

I'm pretty hairy, but I refuse to shave my chest clean. I do trim with scissors for my chest, and I do have an electric around mostly for trimming the fuzz on my neck, but I avoid using it otherwise since it turns hair into tiny razors and makes me itch like crazy. My body hair is soft but the hair is kinda long so it does need some grooming.

I tried Nivea and hated their stuff. I ue a fair amount of Neutrogena stuff.

Glad I could contribute.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-07-09, 12:35

haha I'll make sure and post pictures if it happens Brad

/me strokes his pitifully sparse 3 day growth... should have run the dull spoon across it this morning I probably look like hell

Shhhh, I can't see!
ironlung

2005-02-15, 01:11

Im south asian so I have a 5 o clock shadow 5 minutes after I shave. I shave once a week (too lazy) and pretty much have a thick beard by the end of it. I even bouth an electric razor because I thought it would be quicker but it really wasnt. A 100 bucks wasted. Anyway Ive found that using blades is just so much easier and takes so little time as well. I use the Mach 3 power and I think its the best one yet. The holder vibrates (no sexual innuendos please) but it makes the hair on ur skin stand up and thus a smoother shave. All Mach 3 blades are made the same- no matter what the color or the packaging is so you can use any of them on Mach 3 power.

i know my reply is kinda a few months late...but im bored... a fire alarm just went off in my fraternity and couldnt go back to sleep.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-15, 02:16

I never got around to getting a mach 3 power, one day.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-02-15, 03:42

I eventually got around to trying the Mach 3 (non-powered version), and I must say that they really are a big improvement over two-bladed men's razors. My Gilette Sensor Pro II has been relegated to my legs…

-S
Grip

2005-02-15, 12:10

Whatever your favorite products are, I can assure you that if you use them in the shower with a fogless mirror you will get better results. Many of you may already do this, but I thought I'd mention it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-02-15, 14:58

Now that's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Do they have fogless mirrors at Wal-Mart?
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-02-15, 15:16

I don't usually bother with a mirror — I just check I've got everything by touch. I've pretty much worked out which areas I'm likely to miss.
+++

2005-02-15, 15:17

I recently made the switch from Gilette Sensor disposables to the Mach 3. The mach 3 is great, except I'm still not used to shaving my moustache/lip brow, I think its because I'm still used to the non-pivot head of the Sensors. Otherwise I'm pleased, my skin doesn't get as irritated having to go over certain areas.

The Oldest Mac Gaming Clan on the 'Net
1.5ghz 12" Powerbook w/Superdrive
elvia

2005-02-15, 20:09

Just switched from the Schick Quattro to the Turbo 3. At first, I didn't like it, the angle was slightly different. But as I became adjusted to it, I like it best now. shave as little as possible, it depends on what my week looks like. 2-3 days or more
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-02-15, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by +++
I recently made the switch from Gilette Sensor disposables to the Mach 3. The mach 3 is great, except I'm still not used to shaving my moustache/lip brow, I think its because I'm still used to the non-pivot head of the Sensors. Otherwise I'm pleased, my skin doesn't get as irritated having to go over certain areas.
Yeah, I switched too - I really like the Mach 3, but it is a little tricky in certain spots.
And I've always shaved in the shower. It's so much easier and faster.
I don't bother with the fogless mirror though. I've got a little hand mirror that I just warm up under the shower for a few seconds and steam won't affect it.

Ran out of my usual Aveeno Oatmeal shaving creme. Got some crappy Colgate junk and it's just not the same.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-15, 21:23

I always love these threads with all this personal information... all this "boy talk." heh.

Don't know why it's so intriguing, but it is.
elvia

2005-02-15, 21:34

Carol check out the this page
Exactly what the heck? I've heard about coincidences, but this is getting absurd
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-02-15, 23:29

Carol, the thread is about shaving. If you're not going to add to the discussion... well...

Me, I found the best results are to use shaving oil around the mouth, and do it in the shower.

For *SHAVING* you frickin' perverts. Jeez.

Shaving oil cuts down on the razor burn I get around the edges of my lips even when using a fresh blade, and the shower keeps everything softened for the razor. Then, after showering, lotion. Keeps the skin supple and on days I don't shave, it softens the whiskers so I don't get ingrowns - another problem around the lip edges. (Yeah, it looks great to have a red sore on the edge of your lip... like a blasted cold sore.) I used to get them exactly three days after shaving, but now I almost never do with the oil and lotion.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-16, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Carol, the thread is about shaving. If you're not going to add to the discussion... well...
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-02-16, 11:34

i shave in the shower very rarely. because, when i do i go by feel, and i can never get the 'burns right. which reminds me, anyone see The Daily Show a couple of nights ago? with that scot? he had like a very light dusting of hair on the camera side, and a single fat mutton chop on the other side. pretty weird guy.
Alcibiades

2005-02-16, 11:59

I have a mohawk, and its hard as well to maintain (much more so than regular hair) as every several days, I have to take clippers to shave down the sides, and then use a razor to ge tthe peach fuzz off. I've gone through a variety of razors, Mach 3, Schick Quattro, disposables, and right now, the Mach 3 is probably the best (and cuts me the least) However, the problem is that I can't afford them, so I end up using bics, and cutting my head all up. I'm not a fan of shaving my face, because the minute I do, I get red bumps all over my neck which last for days. Recently, I've discovered that by using a razor just to shape, and then clippers just to get everything down to stubble works very well (I leave it usually, but at that point its very easy just to shave it off as well).

I've always wanted to try working with a straight razor though...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-02-16, 12:06

Alci, I can't recommend the following strongly enough:

1) Steam it all to heck. Shave in the shower if you can. This requires getting a fog-free mirror, but it's worth it. If the shower/mirror isn't an option. do the old-style: get a towel soaking in water so hot you almost can't stand it, then slap that thing on your face and let it steam your whiskers for a few minutes. Shave immediately.

2) Use shaving oil. This will cut down on the ingrowns and irritation tremendously. You can get the expensive oils made just for this, or I've heard some people use canola oil with good success.

3) Get a good shaving cream. Old-style lather is actually really frickin' good, and cheap as hell. (The brushes are pricey, but it's a one-time expense.)

4) Go with the grain (but you knew this).

5) Use lotion every day, even days you don't shave.

I used to have horrendous problems with shaving, but now I don't. The oil and lotion was the trick.

You know, it's amazing how much general self-care we guys lose out on because societally we have this "ook, macho, can't talk to other guys about stuff" mentality. :P

Yes, I had to learn the above from Queer Eye... :P
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-16, 12:09

I hate that shaving commercials almost always show Joe Stud with the smooth face shaving against the grain.

Christ, I tried that once and fucked my face up for a good week. I cringe when I see those goddamned commercials.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-02-16, 15:07

I got use to shaving against the grain, and I use the Mach 3 with the white Gillette cream. Today was the first day I ever cut myself shaving, and I have very sensitive skin. Using balms is important and not letting your skin dry out. I always like to make sure my skin is nice and softened with hot water before I start shaving, it makes things go a lot smoother.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
mama's left eye

2005-02-16, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
I always like to make sure my skin is nice and softened with hot water before I start shaving, it makes things go a lot smoother.
Me too. I try to shave in the shower, if possible.

Mach 3 blades are getting way to expensive. I try to get bulk razors from eBay. Saves some $ in the long run.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-16, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvia
Carol check out the this page
Exactly what the heck? I've heard about coincidences, but this is getting absurd
Coincidences? What coincidences?

Sorry, my brain must not be functioning today. I never get enough sleep. That must be the problem.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-16, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

I think the best plan for me in general is to stay out of these types of discussions, as an 'active participant,' that is.

I will say that I do prefer a guy with a clean-shaven face. It's nice to see the 'real' facial features and actual bone structure. It seems more honest, somehow.

I really, REALLY don't like mustaches like Geraldo Rivera's. Yuck.

All these cultures where every guy feels obliged to wear a thick mustache...somehow that seems so primitive to me, like a mustache is required in order to prove what a macho stud each guy is, to prove that he has reached puberty (duh) and has enough testosterone to produce facial hair. Gosh, I'm SO impressed at such accomplishments.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-16, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Murbeau, your wish is my command.

(just kidding)

crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-02-16, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
I will say that I do prefer a guy with a clean-shaven face. It's nice to see the 'real' facial features and actual bone structure. It seems more honest, somehow.
What she means is facial hair's a real turn off when I guy's going down on ya.

At least, I think that's what she means.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I mean, not about it being a turn off but about what she means. Know what I mean?

Good. I'm glad we understand each other. <- Safety smilies.