User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 83 of 103 First Previous 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-15, 14:37

What if I'm sick that day?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-15, 14:44

I’d like to see Alfred have a larger role. Jeremy Irons is always good, and his Alfred is very hands-on (remotely piloting stuff, tech savvy, etc.). More of an equal, behind-the-scenes partner to Bruce/Batman. I did think that was a neat take on the character. I didn’t like the Nolan version...that was just Michael Caine being Michael Caine (and I like Michael Caine). But the actor overrode the role there, IMO.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-16, 14:56

Years ago, I saw an animated Justice League movie on Netflix and it was really, really good. It dealt with the introduction of Aqua-Man and some other plot elements, but I was completely hooked and entertained. I think it was from Bruce Timm and that bunch who put out that animated Batman series in the 90's. They eventually did Justice League stuff, and this one played out like an actual movie, and you forgot you were watching a cartoon after a while.

Why can't they do stuff like that on these big live-action movies? It was a cool story, and the voice acting, writing/dialogue, plot, action, humor, etc. were all top-notch. There was nothing "cartoon-y" about it. I've not seen them all, but those were some good shows. They also had Green Lantern and Hawkman in the mix, along with that Martian guy, on some of the ones I've watched. They're all really well done, the ones I've seen.

PS - I see where Rosario Dawson voiced Wonder Woman on a bunch of them, so...yeah. She's the genre queen, with her fingers in all the cool pies...Sin City, DC/Justice League animation, Robot Chicken, the Daredevil/Marvel TV stuff, those Lego Batman movies, some of those Kevin Smith things, now Star Wars. She just wakes up effortlessly cool, doesn't she? Throws in with all the cool projects, does the work, is widely adored/respected for her work in that stuff, seems to sidestep drama/trouble, stays steadily employed with interesting, neat projects (check out her IMDb page), etc.

Gina C., take notes...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 15:36

...and on we continue with the "how they became a (misunderstood) evil villain" origin stories (Maleficent, Joker, Darth Vader if you wanna go back that far, etc.).

This time it's Cruella de Vil's turn.

I get an overall sense of "unasked for" and "trying way too hard" from this.

But I'm not sure that's the vibe Disney's looking to put out. It doesn't seem particularly kid-friendly (1970's punk-era London, from the synopsis I read), but they're probably not wanting the dads sitting there with impure thoughts either. And if they're anything like me watching this trailer, they're gonna.

Trying to recreate that Maleficent thing (make an iconic Disney villainess bangable for modern, forward-thinking audiences).

Way to go, Disney!

Without the 101 cute puppies, I'm not quite sure why this even exists. And with things they way they are now, I doubt it's going to have a big theatrical release and make any sort of splash on that front...the multiplex, for the time being, is in a coma; whether it ever recovers is anyone's guess at the moment. I'm betting it hits Disney+ if things don't improve on the pandemic front in the next few months.

Those of you in the UK, how's her accent? Passable? Horrible? Amazing? I can't tell...I don't have an ear for that sort of thing...she just sounds "from England" to me, but I wouldn't know the way someone from there would.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-17, 15:56

I'd rate the accent as..passable, maybe even pretty good. It's not *quite* right, but better than most American actors manage...

The movie has a bit of a "Joker" vibe to me - Joker meets the Devil Wears Prada, maybe? I think painting Cruella De Ville as "misunderstood" is going to be a hard sell, even with the mean barking Dalmatians.

For something a bit smaller, we watched "Baby Done" last night. It was pretty good - Rose Matefeo is good in it, but they made the same mistake a lot of movies do - in order to inject "drama" they needed the main character to behave so badly that I lost sympathy for them.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 16:04

It's very Joker-y to me, where you can see someone actually slowly coming unglued, partly because of those around them. I hated that movie, but they did a good job of painting a very Travis Bickle-like picture of how someone gets the way he did. But, by the final act, you just want him dead because he's become far worse than anyone else in his orbit. I needed a shower after Joker. That was a one-and-done viewing for me.

I wouldn't think Maleficent or Joker would've been painted the way they were, so I see no reason why de Vil won't be either. That Maleficent movie made her quite sympathetic at times, and you almost felt sorry for her. I was not expecting that ("Hey, I'm trying to lust after Ms. Jolie over here...do you mind?"). And the same with Joker. So if they can do that to those two, I'm sure there will be some shedding a tear for poor punk princess Cruella.

I guarantee you, she'll get the same treatment as Maleficent, to where you come away going "ah, okay...now it all makes sense. She's really not evil by choice", etc.

Revisionist Disney, trying their best to de-asshole everyone, for a kinder, gentler society.

"Hey, what stylish-minded woman wouldn't want a coat made of puppies? She was, after all, a slave to the fashion whims of her time, people."
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-17, 16:20

Post-Modern storytelling, in which the protagonist is complex and not a 1930s Good vs Evil stereotype, has been at work in Hollywood for 20 years now. Without it we wouldn't have Tony Soprano or Walter White. I'd much rather watch those characters than one-dimensional 80s movie bad guys. Do I want to see Disney bad guys given this treatment? I really don't care?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 16:23

I know.

Speaking of Tony Soprano, there's some sort of pending origin story (movie or series?) about him on the horizon as well. I think mainly centering around his dad and Uncle Junior, but I know a younger (teenage?) Tony factors in as well. I've read a few things about it. "Saints of" something...New Jersey? Or some city name.

That was a great show, one of the best ever made. I know all about Tony and Walter, don't worry.

I just think these trends hitting at once are a little funny. These "villain origin stories" weren't a thing, until they were. And, a few years from now, it'll be played out and on to something else. That's why I'm betting we're in for quite a few more before the milk runs dry. I had no idea a Cruella de Vil, pre-puppy, movie was coming. It surprised me this morning, showing up in my news listing/feed. I did a double-take when I saw the thumbnail/headline.

Disney has a lot to pull from, if they want...Scar, Ursula, various witches, the hunter who shot Bambi's mom, etc.

And I still like my 1930's good/evil and black/white stuff (it's why I enjoy Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Rocketeer and stuff like that, as well as that space move from 1977). Being clear-cut and obvious isn't automatically a bad thing either. I can, and do, appreciate both. There's room for it all, done well (The Sopranos, Taxi Driver). I love Taxi Driver as much as I hate Joker, which is weird since they're kinda similar in many ways. But one works for me, one just doesn't. *shrug*

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-17 at 16:35.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-17, 16:59

How do you feel about Falling Down.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 17:23

Why? The Travis Bickle-y parallels of someone fed up with everything around him, etc.? I kinda view those two in a similar way, but the time/location couldn't be more different (90's west coast vs. 70's NYC). And, unlike Bickle, Douglas' character had a family (estranged, yes, but a family), a good job, etc. so it was probably a farther fall for him. Bickle started out crazy, Douglas' character eased into it, IMO. He struck me as looking for a reason/excuse, and that day provided one.

I didn't like it. I saw it at the theater upon release in 1993 and thought it was a bit cartoon-y. It had a couple of moments, but, overall, it was a slog. It was grim and mean. He wasn't someone to root for/support, and he made his day worse with each decision/step. He had many chances to walk away, let it go, disengage, etc. and he chose not to. When people make their own hell, I find it tough to throw in. Whatever sympathy/understanding he might've had at the start, he pissed it away with each little "adventure" or outburst.

I think it was presented as an "everyman snaps" movie, but I considered him an unsympathetic villain. When he took out his anger/frustration at the fast food place and scared everyone there who had no beef with him, making that kid cry out of fear, etc., I was pretty much done and thought "he's too far gone, because now everyone's his enemy", and it didn't start out that way. By halfway into it, he would've hurt/harassed anyone, even those who didn't deserve it.

I did like how he chased off the two gangbangers who wanted his briefcase. But I hate thieves/thugs, so I enjoyed that scene and won't apologize for that. I had a Disneyland trip, and a couple of other instances in my time in SoCal, marred by these bald-headed, tattoo-necked cocksuckers, so my tolerance/patience for their ilk is non-existent, less than zero.

But he was a bad guy. If his life was that shitty/unsatisfying, he should've eaten a bullet soon after abandoning his car. But then nobody would pay to see an 11-minute movie, would they?

I was rooting for Robert Duvall the entire time. As I do in most everything he's in. I was hoping he wasn't going to die in his efforts to stop Douglas' character. I was kinda braced for that.

Michael Douglas was no noble hero by any stretch. He was a mental patient, and dangerous. And got what was coming to him.

Why? Did you assume I liked him or thought he was cool or something? Because I didn't. He reminded me of someone I once knew, so it wasn't a pleasant movie.

Frankly, by the mid-90's I was quite sick and tired of seeing Michael Douglas pop up in every damn movie I went to. He's a fine actor, but shit...he was in everything for about a 10-12 year period. And I think I saw 'em all.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-17 at 17:59.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-17, 18:47

Not at all. He’s an offensive character, and I think he’s meant to show us something bad about ourselves that’s lurking there when we get frustrated or despair. I think there’s a certain audience today, as there was then, whose not sure he’s the villain at all, but they’re wrong.

I think there’s more there though, especially about fragility and violence, weakness and hate. A morality tale that some will mistake as an elegy, which I believe the film makers did by design. But it’s a nice counter point to Tony Soprano and Walter White for me. For some reason, even as I enjoyed both those characters immensely, there were many points in both those series where I could hear Bill Fosters question, “I’m the bad guy?” Tony and Walter similarly don’t always know they’re the bad guys, they’re both self pitying, they’re both aware of it at times, or repressing it, and rediscovering it as they evolve and neither can escape it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 19:20

It was a weird movie. A few neat moments, but just grim and hard to lock into overall. Nobody to like or root for, which can make for a tough sit.

It came out about 10 months before we moved to California and, naturally, it painted a bleak picture that, for the most part, turned out to not be true (at least in the areas I lived, worked and hung out). But man...when I learned we were going to Orange County, and when I looked on the map and saw where it was, I was like "oh shit...we're right below Los Angeles".

But it was beautiful and, overwhelmingly, a positive, great period.

I mean, Deliverance made the Georgia mountains look bad...but that's not accurate either. They're quite beautiful. Drew will back me up on that, I'm sure.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-17, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I mean, Deliverance made the Georgia mountains look bad...but that's not accurate either. They're quite beautiful. Drew will back me up on that, I'm sure.
Gorgeous!!!!
(IF you know how to squeal like a pig)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-18, 08:54

The thing that gets me about movies like Cruela is that it isn't for my kids and I feel like I need to be a kid to watch a movie about the lead villain in a children's movie. I'm not really inclined to watch this just like I haven't watched Maleficent. I mean, her burning the shell of off her dress was cool, but would I want my kids watching that movie, nope.

If the reviews come back and everyone says my life won't be complete without watching it then I might carve some time out for it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-18, 10:09

I don’t think you have to worry.

It’s funny how Disney is doing live-action takes on their animated stuff lately, either direct remakes (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin) or prequels/alternate takes (Cruella, Maleficent).

Not sure anyone is really asking for them, and have any of them hit really big? I can at least understand the latter...a new, different story completely could be interesting, but why mess with a classic? To me it kinda cheapens/makes less special the animated original., as though Disney is saying “we know this old-timey format won’t cut it in today’s CGI/ADD/video game/24-7 stimuli world, so let’s redo them with bigger, known stars, update the jokes/tone, check the appropriate, expected boxes required in 2021 so we qualify for Oscar consideration, etc.

And it just seems unnecessary, all around.

It’s as though Disney is saying “we don’t think these originals are good enough and hold up; they aren’t timeless like we once kinda thought. We can do better!”

From what I’ve seen, no...you can’t. And aren’t. That Aladdin movie was unbearable And so obnoxious. What were they thinking?!?

I’m sorry, but putting Will Smith in a position to be directly compared to Robin Williams isn’t doing anybody any favors, including Smith himself. That he signed on says a lot about his ego and need for attention.

I think many would be like “thanks for the interest/offer, but that’s Robin’s. I’m not going to be able to best that. But I’d be interested in other projects, so please keep me in mind.”

Will Smith: “Awww, hell yeah. Get that blue paint on me...I’m ready, yo! Lets do this!”

The man has a healthy sense of himself.

Which, overall, is a good trait. But it’s probably resulted in a pile of bad choices over the years.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-18 at 10:19.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-18, 10:11

What is funny is Disney pioneered the "vaulting" of classic movies so you couldn't get a copy (legally) during the vaulting time. Now they are making it so no one cares about the vault. Kinda funny if you asked me.

I'm with you though, who asked for this? I mean if it is included in a subscription and cost me nothing then at least I don't have to pay extra to lose braincells.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-18, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Gorgeous!!!!
(IF you know how to squeal like a pig)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-19, 20:46

Watching Boyz n the Hood. Still a great movie, and Fishburne’s greatest role.

“You’re my son and I’m not gonna lose you to no bullshit!”

Powerful, sad, funny, sweet, brutal, infuriating. It packs all those in. The final 20 minutes is a roller coaster.

If you’ve never seen it, fix that. It’s just a really good movie. The best, by far, of that wave that came out in the 90’s. Might’ve been the first? I don’t know.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-25, 10:05

I finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Quite possibly one of the worst, most unsatisfying and cornball movies I've ever sat through. And, brother...that's saying a lot. Overblown, pompous, unrealistic, unbelievable, simplistic, pandering, too self-aware, trying-so-hard, etc.

It was like an episode of Glee written/directed by Instagram influencers.

Allow me to put this in context: I love Queen. I always have, even when, in high school, I was informed by the resident brain trust that it was "faggot-ass music for faggot-ass queers" (when you're 14-15 and you'd rather draw and play guitar instead of football, everyone's got you all figured out; despite the fact that everyone I knew owned the 45 to Another One Bites the Dust). It's just that weird period of life when everyone is just a walking contradiction and full-of-shit (because, as it turns out, I'm hopelessly straight, despite my musical leanings ). And you just deal with it because everyone's a clue-starved moron when they're 14.

But back to Queen: in the past few years of being on Apple Music, I've gotten to know all their music. Amazing stuff, as I've always known. It's just been nice to sample all of it so easily now. As with so many of my favorite performers, it's the stuff that wasn't a hit/single release that is far better, and more enjoyable, than the songs everyone on the planet knows. So, as a result, I'm an even bigger, more informed fan now than I was 30+ years ago (when I only did know the radio hits and was convinced that Freddie was surely pulling all kinds of pussy).

But it's still an unwatchable, poorly-written movie, no matter what.

And it shocked me because all I've ever heard and read about it, the past couple of years, was that it was "amazing" and all the rest.

It won awards, which is even weirder because that means a bunch of allegedly dialed-in adults on various boards and committees thought it was worthy of them.

Yikes.

All the inaccuracies, timeline shuffling and Big Drama™ aside (par for the course in condensed, gotta-cram-it-all-in-two-hours biopics, I'm fully aware), it was just so damn corny. One of those movies where everyone talking sounded like they were giving a speech, and hitting all the checkboxes to properly convey The Heaviness™. I've seen plenty of other movies like this, I just wasn't expecting it in this one.

I was genuinely stunned, less than halfway in, when I realized "holy smokes, this is serious...it's not being played as a 'nudge-nudge/wink-wink' Batman 1966 on-purpose schlock/camp...they're taking this shit seriously! They think this is the good stuff!"

So disappointing. That actor won an Oscar and Golden Globe. So did the movie itself...several.

I will say that the actor playing Bob Geldoff looked enough like a hobo hound dog who lost his comb under a bridge that I couldn't help but smile and say "okay, they nailed that bit of casting". Oh, and that was Mike Myers behind the desk! I love how he gets hired to play these English characters (Tarentino put him in Inglorious Basterds as that British general).

The movie had a nice look, overall, but that's all I can really say for it.

I was watching it alone, but that didn't stop me, several times, from looking around the room to ask "am I the only one who thinks nobody talks/acts that way?", etc.

The shame of it all, of course, is that their career/story, done well, would make for a great movie. Even if you just focused on a specific time frame and really made a deep run at it and got things right, vs. playing up the melodrama/schlock so hard.

Hands down, the most unbelievable, corny and hammy "real movie" (one that took itself seriously, won awards/acclaim) I've ever seen. I was ready for it to be over, well before halfway through. But once I commit to something, I have to see it through. A blessing, and, believe me, a curse...

As a musician myself, I do have to say they got a lot of the details right, which is always nice to see (Brian May's guitar and his pile of Vox AC-30 amps). I read that May and drummer Roger Taylor were producers/advisors which would account for a lot of that gear accuracy, but also is weird because it means they were okay with all the cheese, schlock and other inaccuracies. I can only assume they were paid a shitload to be so? I read that another Queen/Freddie Mercury biopic, starring Sacha Baron Cohen, had been in development but it was to be a more grounded, harder take on things and that didn't sit well with many (including May and Taylor), so the schmaltzy, Hallmark Channel take was greenlit instead.

Unfortunate.

There is indeed a template for music-based biopics and all those notes are always hit (no pun). Ray, Walk the Line, The Doors, Get on Up, The Runaways, La Bamba, Straight Outta Compton, Coal Miner's Daughter, etc. all have to compress years - decades, sometimes - of a life/career down into a digestible two-hour chunk. Liberties have to be taken with time and events to help make that happen. I'm fully aware of this, having seen all the above (and with a fairly solid grasp on how movies are made, and the realities of the genre).

But still...this was just pretty badly written, which set up everything else.

I was stunned, and so disappointed. It could've - it should've - been so much better.

When badly-written/acted movies like this somehow manage to garner such acclaim and across-the-board approval/acceptance, it just kinda throws me off. Far, far better movies were passed over for this one to have its inexplicable moment in the sun.

And because this one exists, the chances of another, better Queen/Mercury movie ever being made are pretty much zero. And that's a shame.

They went and shot their wad on this one.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-25, 15:33

That actor is fantastic in Mr. Robot, for whatever that’s worth.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-25, 17:19

I’m sure he was. Too bad that isn’t this movie. I've seen him in a few other things and he seems to know what he's doing, so I'm not laying it at Rami Malek's feet. He tried but, like a lot of decent actors in stupid movies (Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac spring to mind), I think he was bound by a shitty script/story and the lines he had to deliver (and the way he had to deliver them). I don't like movies that make me cringe and wince. This one did, by the bucket.

It was just way too corny/rah-rah and tough to buy.

The Live Aid sequence was neat, those aerial views of Wembley, the camera soaring over the huge crowd. The movie looked really good at many moments throughout.

But it just played out exactly as I described in the second paragraph of my previous post.

It came across as a musical biopic that, like Walk Hard, was seeming to parody/mock the genre. Except that it wasn’t. Had it been made/released 25 years ago it might’ve not seemed so hokey and cliché-riddled. And the speech-making dialogue might not have stuck out so much because we wouldn’t have had all the others playing up all those tropes in recent decades. This probably would've been a hell of a movie in about 1983.

For a modern, theatrical movie it just had a very made-for-TV “let’s start a band and put on a show, gang!” silliness to it, like some of those lazy, schlocky things you see on Hallmark or Lifetime where everything is played very broadly and everyone announces their thoughts/feelings (or goes into exposition mode, because they might be worried the viewer is too stupid to put it together themselves).

I’ve seen episodes of Scooby-Doo that were easier to buy into, and had more depth (and asked a bit more of the viewer).

In contrast, that Elton John Rocketman movie seemed to embrace/play up the fantastical and silly, and, as a result, was a far more enjoyable movie. You can kinda let go and enjoy it for the goofy thing is it. Night and day, my response to that movie and to this one. And it had everything to do with the writing/tone/approach. Throughout this movie I kept thinking "they should've gone full camp/goofy with this...it would actually make way more sense and would elevate it above this clichéd horseshit...".

But it seemed they were too far into Award Lunge mode. You know an Oscar bait movie when you see one. Every line is engineered to be award season clip/nomination fodder, and this movie had about 783 of those moments.

"Freddie, please get out of the rain. You can make your 'I've come up short as a human being and have disappointed those who love me' speech in a dry, warm living room. It won't look as cool, but it'll make more sense."

Yeah, this won't be a repeat watch. It's what I get for believing the hype and the breathless fawning of people I don't know. I gotta get better about that.

PS - Confession: I long to see an interesting, quirky and fantastical biopic about ABBA (more Rocketman than Bohemian Rhapsody, for sure). Silly 70's spectacle and excess, with the backdrop of that great music and all the personal craziness amongst the four. Done right, I think that would make for a really fun, sexy and heartbreaking movie. That's the only band from the 70's I genuinely miss because, unlike all the others (Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Aerosmith, etc.) they actually had the decency to know when they peaked and were done...and they went the hell away - and, more importantly, stayed the hell away - and haven't bothered everyone/worn out their welcome for the past 3-4 decades with reunions, drama, personnel changes, endless "farewell tours" and $600-a-ticket concerts nobody is really asking for. So please wake me when that project gets announced/greenlit!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-25 at 19:12.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-04-26, 05:42

I get the feeling scates hit radar is malfunctioning. Like wtf, he didn't like Doom ffs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 08:39

Ha. My radar is fine. I like plenty of movies, even lots of ones I didn't think I would (Rocketman, Maleficent and many others). I will, and do, give everything an honest shot if I make a plan to sit and watch. I'm just not going to lie and pretend to like something I truly don't.

Everyone will live, I'm sure.

Is Doom that video game movie with The Rock (excuse me...Dwayne Johnson)? I think I may have seen part of it on FX or one of those channels. Karl Urban was in it too? I'm not a gamer, so things like that aren't going to grab me because there's no genuine front-end interest/connection.

That movie was very dark, and I don't mean tone/plot-wise. I mean, literally...I couldn't see anything that was going on. Did they not use any lighting while filming?!

Things are kinda weird right now, movie-wise. I don't know what the summer is going to be like, but there's really not much being hyped/pending, and I'm not sure if/when the multiplexes are going to open back up, nationwide. If some states/cities are doing so, but many others aren't, that's a tough way to release a movie and expect to make anything. I know some new releases are also going straight to HBO Max or some other streaming service, so that might be the new way movies are done. I just know that every year, by now, I have a little mental list of any movies I want to see for the year. And, currently, there are none. I think a lot of studios/productions are on an open-ended break. I do want to see the new Bond movie (co-starring Rami Malek, BTW), and I read an article about a new Mission: Impossible movie being filmed (I always go see those in the theater; I've enjoyed every one of them over the years and I've never felt cheated or like I threw my money away; always fun and entertaining with great action and stunts). I genuinely look forward to a new M:I possible flick every few years because I know it'll be solid entertainment and great popcorn fare. Sometimes that's all I really want; not every movie has to make a statement or change the world, after all. I'm cool with shit blowing up and people being shot at on motorcycles too. Or crazy stuff taking place on really tall buildings. That Burj Khalifa sequence in Ghost Protocol was a sight to behold on the big screen...I thought I was gonna puke.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-26 at 09:54.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-26, 14:44

My understanding is the next two Mission Impossible films are now being filmed back-to-back.

Not sure I've seen that happen for a blockbuster franchise since Back to the Future II and III. (But that certainly turned out great.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 15:14

Were those Peter Jackson LOTR movies not filmed all at once? Seems like I read that somewhere but it’s been a really long time so I might not be remembering it right.

Seems like a sensible thing to do, assuming you have the script and everything all ready to go (and especially if the two movies dovetail into each other with the same cast and all).

Even if not, why not get as much in the can as possible while you’ve got Cruise, Rhames, Pegg, etc. together?

Probably requires someone really paying attention to continuity and all.

They’ll get my money, regardless. Fun movies. There was one year, not too long ago, where that was the one and only movie I saw in the theater that entire year. It was either Rogue Nation in 2015 or Fallout in 2018.

EDIT: had to be 2018, because I saw The Force Awakens in December 2015.
¡Damned!

2021-04-26, 15:23

Pretty sure Infinity War & Endgame were filmed at the same time, maybe the last Harry Potter movie that they split into 2 parts.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-26, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
EDIT: had to be 2018, because I saw The Force Awakens in December 2015.
I thought the internet decided those last three don't count? So say we all.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I thought the internet decided those last three don't count? So say we all.
They don’t, but I still saw ‘em. I gotta be honest and factor them in, as needed.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-04-26, 19:30

It was the first three that were banned
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-26, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
It was the first three that were banned
The last three have rehabilitated the reputation of the first three.