User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Any way to sync mail messages?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any way to sync mail messages?
ZachPruckowski

2006-06-21, 23:00

Is there a way to sync mail messages between Mail on a laptop and a desktop? Something I read said that .Mac doesn't do it, and I'd ideally like a solution that doesn't cost $99 a year if possible. I'm hoping to get a desktop in addition to my laptop, and I would like to be able to check mail on both of them. Unfortunately, one of the accounts is Gmail, which is POP access only. Is there some way to sync both computers messages, or am I going to have to rely on just using one of them for email?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-06-22, 00:03

I haven't found a way short of using an IMAP server (like .mac). You might want to look into something like chronosync and email their devs to see what they have to say.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-06-22, 07:57

You could always set up one computer (laptop) to leave the mail on the server and only have the desktop delete the files from the server. The only trick to this is you have to retrieve your email in the proper order.

Or, you could set the desktop to be the computer that deletes emails, but only deletes the messages a week after they've been downloaded. That way you can make sure your laptop has copies of all the emails. This is what I've done for myself and set up for other people and it's worked out pretty well.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-22, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
You could always set up one computer (laptop) to leave the mail on the server and only have the desktop delete the files from the server. The only trick to this is you have to retrieve your email in the proper order.
Or, just have both set to leave mail on the server. This way you don't have to worry about retrieving mail from one computer before the other. But you do occasionally need to clean out the server a bit (this is what I do).
octavist13

2006-06-22, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Or, just have both set to leave mail on the server. This way you don't have to worry about retrieving mail from one computer before the other. But you do occasionally need to clean out the server a bit (this is what I do).
Yeah, I do the exact same thing and it works out great for me. Just get in the habit of deleting the files from the server every week or so and you won't have your friends complaining that they can't send you anything.