Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Backing up

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Backing up
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-03-16, 11:30

I'm reinstalling OS X, from scratch, things have been working funny and my applications have grown wildly like an untamed garden of weeds. So my question is what do I back up? Obviously things like music, documents, etc, but also what library files, etc, should I grab? I am particularly interested in keeping all my old mail.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-03-16, 20:52

Personnally, if I would back up my entire Home folder. There is no sense in backing up the System folder, and to some extent the root Library folder(the one in the top of your hard drive). If you have the space(say, an external drive) I would recommend that. The next best thing is CD's or DVD's. These will take a lot longer than an external hard drive, though.

The Library folder can be tricky, though. It could be that something in it is causing all of your problems. Can you be more specific as to what they are? Maybe we could figure out if it is something in your Home folder or a system problem.

Also, the Mac OS X installer will allow you to select Upgrade or Archive and Install. Upgrade will probably not let you select a destination drive. Archive and Install will move your Home folder into another folder, and then reinstall OSX.