User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 19 of 31 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  Next Last Thread Tools
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2016-09-30, 02:55

Rosetta heads for kamikaze* Comet farewell after 12 years

Artist's concept of Rosetta shortly before hitting Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko on Sept. 30, 2016.
Credits: ESA/ATG medialab

Quote:
The European Space Agency’s (ESA) Rosetta mission will come to a dramatic end on Friday, Sept. 30, with a controlled touchdown of the spacecraft on a region of comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko known for active pits that spew comet dust into space. Confirmation of the end of mission is expected at about 4:20 a.m. PDT (7:20 a.m. EDT). ESA is ending the mission due to the spacecraft’s ever-increasing distance from the sun, which has resulted in significantly reduced solar power with which to operate the vehicle and its instruments.

... more ...
Copious coverage on NASA TV, Ustream, etc... some starting @04:45 Eastern. (09:45 here in the UK)

It would be awesome if your touchdown merely bent a wing and you revived on next orbit but we know cold (amongst other risks) means this is probably a fond final farewell.

Ciao, Rosetta. Say Thanks to Philae, too.

* Actual impact velocity @pprox "at walking pace", lol

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-09-30, 05:41

'Burb you rock - I'm dialed in now watching in real time during the final descent - less than a minute to go!

...*
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-17, 16:25

I'm finally in the green zone for a rocket launch!

NASA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA
The countdown for Orbital ATK’s Antares rocket, with the Cygnus cargo spacecraft on top, is progressing smoothly today. There are no technical concerns with the rocket or spacecraft and weather is 100 percent “go.”

Liftoff is scheduled to occur during a five minute window beginning at 7:40 p.m. EDT from the Mid-Atlantic Spaceport’s Pad 0A at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-10-17, 17:56

I"m right on the edge of that envelope. I'll have to go out and take a look later tonight.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-17, 19:29

That was very cool to see. I didn't hear it at all but I did get to see it. I even got my kids out to the beach. There were a bunch of others out there too. I only had my iPhone so the images aren't awesome.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-02-27, 13:52

NASA/ESO Discover 7 Earth-like Exoplanets (3 in Habitable zone) around nearby Ultra-cool Brown Dwarf

230 Trillion Miles / 40 Light Years Away...

Orbiting an "Ultra Cool Brown Dwarf" not much bigger than Jupiter...

Tidally locked planets ranging from 1 Day to 20 Day orbits mean you'd age very quickly

NASA home page with links to full res media

Details of the Trappist-1 system from Spitzer Space Telescope

Some 40 light-years from Earth, a planet called TRAPPIST-1e offers a heart-stopping view: brilliant objects in a red sky, looming like larger and smaller versions of our own moon. But these are no moons. They are other Earth-sized planets in a spectacular planetary system outside our own. These seven rocky worlds huddle around their small, dim, red star, like a family around a campfire. Any of them could harbor liquid water, but the planet shown here, fourth from the TRAPPIST-1 star, is in the habitable zone, the area around the star where liquid water is most likely to be detected. This system was revealed by the TRansiting Planets and PlanetIsmals Small Telescope (TRAPPIST) and NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. The planets are also excellent targets for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope. Take a planet-hopping excursion through the TRAPPIST-1 system.

Credit
NASA-JPL/Caltech
Apologies for not posting this last week when the news broke... my old iPadv3 did too

Dave
Ninja Editor

2017-02-27, 17:05

Need Warp Drive Now!!!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-03-30, 18:26

SpaceX made history again. Does anyone know how many times these rockets can be reused?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-04-25, 04:42

1.4 Billion km Selfie

Last week, in part to celebrate Earth Day one last time (before beginning its Grand Finale Tour of Ring plane crossings leading up to a kamikaze dive into Saturn on Sept. 15th), Cassini sent home another gorgeous shot of our home through the rings of Saturn.

Click for bigger and zoom in to spot the few pixels of our Moon to the left of the bright speck that is the Earth... here shown between segments of the A (including the Keeler gap) and much brighter F rings at top and bottom, respectively

This view from NASA's Cassini spacecraft shows planet Earth as a point of light between the icy rings of Saturn.

The spacecraft captured the view on April 12, 2017 at 10:41 p.m. PDT (1:41 a.m. EDT). Cassini was 870 million miles (1.4 billion kilometers) away from Earth when the image was taken. Although far too small to be visible in the image, the part of Earth facing toward Cassini at the time was the southern Atlantic Ocean.

Earth's moon is also visible to the left of our planet in a cropped, zoomed-in version of the image.

The rings visible here are the A ring (at top) with the Keeler and Encke gaps visible, and the F ring (at bottom). During this observation Cassini was looking toward the backlit rings, making a mosaic of multiple images, with the sun blocked by the disk of Saturn.

Seen from Saturn, Earth and the other inner solar system planets are all close to the sun, and are easily captured in such images, although these opportunities have been somewhat rare during the mission. The F ring appears especially bright in this viewing geometry.
... just in case you needed a fresh sense of perspective on your place in the Universe.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-12, 15:02

Space Clouds ahead for the East Coast USA! Live tonight at 9! (Almost anyway).
Launch visibility:

NASA Sounding Rocket will Release Early Morning Artificial Clouds Lighting up the Mid-Atlantic Coast
The article wasn't retitled to match the 9PM launch change. They've tried to launch this a number of times it seems. I might be able to see the projectile fly from a base near me.

Watch it via ustream.http

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-09-14, 07:07

SpaceX Blooper Reel
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-10-26, 15:42

Mooooon Tuuuubes... 🌓

A newly discovered moon tunnel could be the perfect place for a colony, scientists say
The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...cientists-say/
At the close of the Apollo age, a year before the final moonwalk in 1972, a NASA researcher argued that vast tunnels lie beneath the lunar surface.

There was good reason to think so. Lava from ancient volcanoes might have bored miles-long voids beneath the moon's surface, just as volcanoes formed the Kaumana lava tubes in Hawaii.

What a sight a lunar lava cave would be. Protected from meteors and radiation that bombards the surface, the tunnels might preserve evidence from the moon’s early history and clues to its mysterious origins. And many scientists have long dreamed of building bases inside natural moon caves, where lunar explorers might sleep safely in inflatable homes, protected from the storms above.

But the lava tunnels of the moon, like the mythical canals of Mars, proved elusive.

NASA’s Ronald Greeley hypothesized in 1971 that one of the great channels in the moon’s Marius Hills region might in fact be a collapsed tunnel. But he admitted that no mission had yet photographed a lunar cave entrance — and some doubted they even existed.

Half a century after Greeley’s paper was published and NASA left the moon behind, in a paper published this week, Japanese researchers say they've found proof of the tunnels no one could see.

... continues ...

For more technical data... the JAXA linked paper from near the end of the WaPo story.
http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/en/topics/001159.html

I would say “who knew sub-surface bases were so doable?”, but apparently...

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2017-10-26 at 16:10. Reason: Better pics
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2018-02-06, 12:09

epic elon

http://www.spacex.com/falcon-heavy

payload choice, awesome
soundtrack choice, class
bet the landing ship name is clever too

launch set for 06:30 UTC today

wish i had his life, if only to do cool shit like this

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-02-06, 14:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

This is where we should be able to stream the liftoff live in the next hour or so.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-02-06, 16:01

That was cool to watch. Nice to see everything go smoothly other than lost video on the drone ship so we don't know if it made the landing or not. the synchronized landing of the secondary boosters was really cool though!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-02-06, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
That was cool to watch. Nice to see everything go smoothly other than lost video on the drone ship so we don't know if it made the landing or not. the synchronized landing of the secondary boosters was really cool though!
Yeah, it was really cool to watch. Great day for the US Space program. Although:

These guys are actual rocket scientists. Why does no one ever think to park another drone with a camera a few hundred metres from the barge?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2018-05-25, 06:03

https://twitter.com/tomhanks/status/999870930670182405

RIP Alan Bean. Apollo 12, try SCE to Auxiliary, over.

Last surviving member of Apollo 12.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-25, 07:11

Oh no! I searched for a news story about this and can't find anything.

But I trust Tom Hanks.

EDIT

But I just read a story that said that this was a hoax, and that he's still alive?

I don't know who to trust now.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2018-05-25 at 08:34.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2018-05-26, 00:42

Tom Hanks deleted that tweet, looks like a miscommunication happened.

Alan Bean did, however, have a stroke a few weeks back, so might have just been a mixup.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2018-05-26, 13:16

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/...34017081200641

RIP for real this time.

Apollo 12, try SCE to Auxiliary, over.

Edit: For those unfamiliar with the SCE to Auxiliary story, check out this segment from the Tom Hanks-produced From The Earth To The Moon on the launch of Apollo 12: https://youtu.be/SSN4MIsP_90

Last edited by PKIDelirium : 2018-05-26 at 13:33.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-26, 14:22

Came here to post this.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2018-05-26, 21:55

‘burb... ?

I’m thinking of you mate.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-27, 05:53

<3

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2018-11-01, 07:50

https://youtu.be/CrzlMTRVt_I

Onboard video of the Soyuz MS-10 failure has been posted. Damn that was violent.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-11-02, 16:27

I suppose this is a reasonable simulation of what went wrong. What I find amazing is the engineering work that has gone into the launch escape systems. No doubt those guys are alive because that thing worked.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-05-24, 11:24

Is it just me, or is SpaceX hitting on all cylinders?

I mean, this is the third successful launch and recovery of the main booster in an 8-month span. I am genuinely impressed. And this just four months after the successful launch and recovery of all three boosters. Brilliant!!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-06-03, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Is it just me, or is SpaceX hitting on all cylinders?
It is not just you. They're on the verge of making LEO affordable, routine, and, dare I say it, boring (in terms of the capability... it's still exciting to watch). I can't wait to see what becomes the next exciting thing is. I mean, it's probably going to be moon bases since everyone is talking about going back there these days, but the timelines for those projects are all so aggressive that I have trouble believing them.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-07-10, 02:10

We’re about to hit the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. I’ve got my official patch already.

SpaceX has the Dragon crew access arm deployed over 39A with a massive flag flying from it: https://twitter.com/maxar/status/1148388665757974528
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-07-26, 00:58

Also, a Falcon 9 carrying a Cargo Dragon launched the CRS-18 resupply mission to the ISS from SLC-40 at the Cape earlier. The booster, which previously launched CRS-17 and will next launch CRS-19, landed back at LZ-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlgrxVuP5jk

This booster landing was the 44th successful recovery of a Falcon, less than four years after the first successful landing in December 2015.

Also, this was the first time a Cargo Dragon capsule has flown for the third time. It was sporting two ISS insignias representing the previous two missions, in addition to an Apollo 50th logo.

Two prototype heat shield tiles for Starship are attached on the side for real-life testing when Dragon returns in four weeks.

Last edited by PKIDelirium : 2019-07-26 at 01:15.