User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!
Page 11 of 14 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  Next Thread Tools
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-06-27, 11:44

Might work so long as the block IDs don't get too screwed up with the other mods added. Natura does some screwy things for that, IIRC. The bigger issue, were we to update everything, would be with Biomes a Plenty, methinks. Adds all different trees and replaces ExtraBiomesXL. Might screw with a ton of stuff.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-06-29, 00:25

I also seem to recall the ability to copy was only good with Bukkit stuff but Brad would know that one.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-06-29, 01:25

Actually, yeah, that seems to ring a bell, too.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-06-29, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I also seem to recall the ability to copy was only good with Bukkit stuff but Brad would know that one.
Correct.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-06-29, 03:06

If the world generation is going to keep varying from one update to the next, we're never going to have a good starting point for anything. At the moment our worlds barely get filled in, so it isn't that we are competing with worlds getting stale.

I didn't put in that great an effort on this world -- honestly, I wouldn't mind it getting wiped -- but I know that Grey's tree farm is a thing of beauty and we can't keep erasing his constructions...

Is there a way for us to keep the current world or parts of it to shoehorn into a world with the newly kitted out mods?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-06-29, 03:33

This is simply the reality of playing Minecraft with mods. You either deal with the world having to be wiped periodically, or you go back to playing vanilla.

Maybe we should go back to plain old vanilla Minecraft then.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-06-29, 04:50

Yay!!!
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-06-29, 05:32

I like some of the mods -- I'm not sure about Thaumcraft and the Twilight forest... but the machines and power add a nice feature to the game...

I also think applied energistics looks really nice...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-06-29 at 10:46.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-06-29, 12:20

Applied Energistics is fantastic (but a huge power hog). Wouldn't necessarily mind a return to vanilla, though I do love several of the mods a ton. In my SSP before everything on my computer turned to crap, I was really getting into bees and tree breeding. Forestry and its add-ons are awesome.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-06-29, 12:40

We could always take a turn in vanilla while the issues get ironed out in the other one... you know, just for a bit of fun

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-06-29, 13:26

I always lean toward vanilla and maybe less intrusive mods like Bukkit stuff.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-06-29, 15:11

As much it sucks to for those that like the new toys and blocks that FTB provides, it may be in the best interest of building a lasting world using vanilla with some Bukkit.

This should hopefully nip the constant world regeneration in the butt and would allow for people with slower machines to be able to enjoy the world without massive overload.

Those that want to, like myself, can play in FTB in SSP. We could then do special occasions where we can upload someone else's SSP to the server and allow for them to share what they've been doing.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-06-29, 21:19

I can set up multiple VMs too so we can have an FTB server if wanted, the problem with running multiple worlds is that we would never see each other or really work together on most projects. I know I wouldn't spend much time in the FTB world if we are running a Bukkit version.

Speaking of, I need to get a new VM ready. Brad, I'm going to spin up a new VM for this world to move into or build a new world in. I'll set up the NFS mount for storage. Please note that I did move the crons to root's crontab and also modified the init.d script to handle archiving the older backups to the NFS mount.

For all: if we move back to vanilla or bukkit I would likely be able to run the maps again too. Just as an FYI.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-06-29, 23:59

I'm fine with doing FTB in SSP when I have a computer that can handle it. Haven't tried vanilla on this thing since it started having issues, but I'm assuming I'll still overheat. Maybe if I play with minimal settings in Optifine.

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-06-30, 01:51

Multiple worlds could work really well if we can have a teleport between them and their chats are shared -- is this possible? A vanilla permanent world for our large construction projects, and a mod-pack world for playing and, perhaps, more resource gathering...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-06-30, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Multiple worlds could work really well if we can have a teleport between them and their chats are shared -- is this possible? A vanilla permanent world for our large construction projects, and a mod-pack world for playing and, perhaps, more resource gathering...
'fraid it doesn't work that way. The whole server is one way or the other. turtle could run two different servers on two different ports, but they would not connect in any way. No warping/chatting/etc between them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-06-30, 22:34

I'm totally open to running two servers. I would leave the FTB one on the VM it's on and then run the vanilla/bukkit one in a new VM. The FTB one would be moved to port 25566 and the new world would go on the default port.

As I see it, for long term life the world would have to not need any client side mods. That seems to be the big factor. So bukkit or any other server side only would allow for more normal updates and less world erasing. Leave FTB as it is just for those interested in machines and such not in normal MC.

Thoughts?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-06-30, 23:00

When are we going to get together for the usual "explore the new world" party?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-06-30, 23:51

Probably once 1.6 is out, I'd imagine.
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-06-30, 23:52

Well, I thought that was assumed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-01, 00:31

Aye! Let's have an old fashioned 1.6 launch party.

Any idea when that's supposed to drop?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-07-01, 02:00

Well, it should be any day now. No official word, but the 1.6.1 snapshot dropped a couple of days ago, so it won't even be 1.6.

EDIT: Jeb posted that this will be released on Wednesday.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-01, 02:17

Somebody be sure to tweet at me when it's nailed down!

And go to sleep, RS

Foj
Veteran Member

2013-07-01, 09:21

1.6.1 is available for manual download now.

http://help.mojang.com/customer/port...craft-launcher
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-07-01, 12:54

I'd like to party but the time difference will kill me...
¡Damned!

2013-07-01, 13:58

Someone refresh my memory – what's the last Tekkit world that we had?

There's no new loot with Tekkit, right? Just vanilla stuff with the ability to do some /command type things, yes? I get confused with Tekkit and Bukkit.

[edit]: was it the world that Brad transplanted the Museum into? Cactuar?

Holy shit do I miss the Museum. BRAD - I still need to talk to you sometime about getting all the worlds available for download. Someday I'll finish that thing, Creeper Kingdom as my witness.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-07-01, 16:16

Bukkit gives teleport. Tekkit gives pipes. FTB gives integrated wholly hell.

Last Bukkit world was Cactar. Then y'all went to Tekkit...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-01, 18:31

If we go back to Bukkit then Brad could possibly move the museum to the new world. Right now Bukkit is at 1.5.2 though with no immediate mention of 1.6. Seems like we could do a straight vanilla install and switch to the bukkit .jar once it drops to match the vanilla version. I'm not sure that would work without breaking stuff in the world, Brad might know that one.

SpecMode
Wait what

2013-07-01, 19:42

So, seeing as 1.6(.1) is now live...when are we doing this thing? Should be a time when most of us are able to actually be online - Friday afternoon/evening, perhaps?
¡Damned!

2013-07-01, 20:00

Maybe Sat. afternoon (EDT). Friday is still too close to the 'MERICA!WOO! celebrations and whatnot. I'm already dodging M-80s as I type, so I imagine it's only going to get worse.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-07-01 at 20:15.