User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

How the frick do I install Azureus on OS X??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How the frick do I install Azureus on OS X??
Technarch

2006-05-27, 16:18

This has been rather frustruating.. download the dmg.. open it.. agree to the click through agreement, it makes an icon on the desktop.. click on the icon, it opens a mini-folder with 2 textfiles and an icon..

Clicking on the icon makes it appear in the dock bouncing, and then nothing.

Putting the icon elsewhere, and clicking, does exactly the same thing.

I really don't understand.

Why won't it work?? Is it a java problem? I tried downloading java, but it wouldn't install saying there was a too new version already.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-05-27, 16:27

i use to use azureus myself and personally i like bits on wheels better. id recommend you check that out. i know it really doesnt answer your question, but i figured id throw out my 2 cents.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-05-27, 16:35

I can't really narrow this one down so I'll give you a list of things to try.
1) Repair permissions. If the finder is not recognizing the .app as an application, this may be your problem.
2) Get the latest version of Java. Azureus is built out of java and is the environment is not set up properly, it won't run.
3) Make sure you copy the app from the DMG to your hard drive. Some programs can't run from a disk image.
4) Restart. Sometimes this magically fixes everything.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-27, 18:14

I had a problem where Azureus would give me an error message whenever I tried to launch it. It had something to do with Java. In the end, I had to copy a friend's Java folder in order to make it work. It's been fine ever since then.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-05-28, 04:52

I used Azureus (always just threw the old version in the Trash, emptied the Trash, dragged new version in Applications) and did not see any bugs. I just got up with the clunkiness, slowness and lack of Mac UI. Now using Transmission and it works fine for an occasional torrent dl/seed. Not sure how a "torrent power user" would like it.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-05-28, 04:55

I never had any problems with Azureus, when I used it. Now, I use Bits on Wheels. It's nice, but probably doesn't have as many advanced features.
Is it 1981?

2006-05-28, 05:49

I use Azureus whenever I need to do encrypted downloading (our ISP throttle P2P connections etc) but using it makes my computer feel like it's wading through a stream of molasses, quicksand and porridge - it's almost unbearable.

Most of the time, I use Transmission - very basic, but very lightweight and pretty.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-28, 10:01

Well, the problem with Azureus is that it has huge memory leaks everywhere. If you have it on for a while, you'll probably notice in Activity Monitor that your "Inactive" (not "Free") memory will be huge, your "Free" memory will be around 10 MB, and there will be a lot of pageouts. That's Azureus for you, and that's why it degrades performance. To be honest, it's so much better than the other BT clients (on features at least) that it makes up for its slowness.
Technarch

2006-05-30, 17:02

The way to install Azureus is to get the universal binary version which is in that tiny little box on the right side of the page saying 'intel macs'.. the download link is just for the PPC version.

Tried transmission, it sucks. Tried mainline, sucks too. Can't remember if I tried tomato. Tried bits on wheels, it's ok but missing some features I use. Really, Azureus is the only real BT client that can be used, followed by Bits on Wheels.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-30, 17:13

Bits On Wheels is indeed pretty good. I'm using it at the moment and I'm happy with it so far. It's not as full featured as Azureus, but the performance and interface more than make up for it.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-05-30, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Bits On Wheels is indeed pretty good. I'm using it at the moment and I'm happy with it so far. It's not as full featured as Azureus, but the performance and interface more than make up for it.
performance and interface, or interface performance? I've tried everything, and nothing goes faster than Azureus from my testing. <-- Obviously just a few tests with a couple of torrents, nothing scientific.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-30, 19:33

Not torrent downloading speed... I meant both the performance of the interface (incredibly sluggish in Azureus, very fast in BOW) as well as the overall effect on system performance (huge in Azureus thanks to several memory leaks, vs. very little for BOW).
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-06-30, 01:18

I have been using Tomato Torrent for the longest time and just recently got to 98.9% in a download and then for days and days and days could not get a tracker connection.

I went through my router and firewall docs, and tried everything.
To no avail.

I then tried BitTorrent OS X, which crashed a couple of times almost wiping out some torrents I had part downloaded.

Then I read some people raving about Azureus and thought I'd give it a try, even with it's slow as treacle Jave interface..

And WOW!

Every torrent I have had problems with got going after a short amount of tracker errors, and a couple of them started downloading so fast I thought my phone line would melt..

I am a total convert now.. Cannot recommend Azureus enough....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-06-30, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Not torrent downloading speed... I meant both the performance of the interface (incredibly sluggish in Azureus, very fast in BOW) as well as the overall effect on system performance (huge in Azureus thanks to several memory leaks, vs. very little for BOW).
I do not think those words mean what you think it means, especially for Java, since it handles its own garbage collection and doesn't allow pointers and stuff.

I haven't noticed any sluggishness in the time I've used Azureus, and I've left it running for days at a time. I have 2GB RAM so that might help as well.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-30, 08:30

Have you guys tried transmission? It seems to be working really well for me.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-06-30, 08:55

Im a believer in Bits on Wheels. Its treated me the best so far.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-06-30, 08:59

Actually after using Azureus all day on my lowly PBG4 17" I don't think it's that slow either, apart from startup.. And very nice to use. I love the swarm map.

Everything in my evil scheme is coming along nicely. I still have a NAT problem, but that is because I can't get into my Router's control panel for some reason.. The interface page just times out.. Oh, well a job for tomorrow.

I was going to try Transmission next, but have not yet as Azureus is so good.

However, I will give it a try sometime I am sure..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
funduk

2006-06-30, 13:17

Used Azureus on my windows machines and on my powerbook for quite a while but MAN is it slow as hell compared to other apps (especially the updated-and-now-ultra-fast transmission).

I've settled on Transmission since I seem to have a knack for finding bugs in torrent apps Transmission has been great.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-30, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
Im a believer in Bits on Wheels. Its treated me the best so far.
Really? It's made me just about give up on Bittorrent altogether. Last time I used it, I'd have to reboot about every 10 minutes cause it would lock up the computer hard.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-06-30, 16:50

UI is slow. However nothing is faster than Azureus, and it's even faster if you actually know how to change the settings to receive an optimum speed.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-30, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Really? It's made me just about give up on Bittorrent altogether. Last time I used it, I'd have to reboot about every 10 minutes cause it would lock up the computer hard.
Really? I've left BoW running for days at a time (on my MBP) and it hasn't ever caused me any problems.