AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Baseball 2010

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Baseball 2010
Page 1 of 10 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-16, 15:35

I know it's early, but as a Phillies fan, I had to start this.

Roy Halladay is a member of the Phillies.

My blog piece about it

Never would I have imagined the Phillies trading one Cy Young Winner (Cliff Lee) to get another one, arguably the best pitcher in major league baseball.

Clearly this makes the Phillies the favorites to win the National League for the third year in a row.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
ime_NY

2009-12-16, 15:58

Good piece, kieran. You're without a doubt the favorites to clinch the NL pennant.

Us Mets fans are pretty irate over this and the news over Lackey, Bay, and Holliday. We're not pissed at the Phils or these free agents;we're just steaming mad our management is completely clueless and has done nothing but stock up on backup catchers.

Just curious: when the rumors were floating around last season of a Halladay-to-Philly deal, I heard Drabek was an untouchable. Is he projected to be better than Happ or Hamels?
ime_NY

2009-12-16, 15:59

Holy crap!

Just found out Kyle is Doug's son. I think I still have Doug's TOPPS card somewhere; he was one my favorite pitchers when I first started following baseball!
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-16, 16:04

The Mets may get Wang, but hopefully he'll accept a pay cut to remain with the Yankees.

And I am pissed that they are letting Matsui go. I know they want to have a rotation DH with Alex, Jeter, Tex, and Posada, but they can fit Matsui into there. When Matsui is not the DH, he can be rested to stay healthy.

giggity
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-16, 16:19

Yeah, Drabek is going to be good, potentially really good. Phillies have been reluctant to trade him, but this was too good of an opportunity not to do it. Toronto asked for him back in July and Philly told them to shove it. Now, with Halladay signed to an extension and the new prospects from Seattle, I guess the Phillies felt comfortable giving him up.

Mets fans have every reason to be upset at their management. They're sitting by and watching everything. I'm not complaining of course, but it's kind of depressing. I'd hate to see the awesome Philly-NY rivalry die down because the Mets aren't successful.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-16, 16:41

Well...stick a fork in the Cubs. Don't bother pointing out that they're in the NL central, they'll find a way to lose the NL east as well. Congrats to the Phils! Honestly, that's a hell of a deal. They gave up a lot in Lee, but they're getting one of the most proven arms in baseball in the last decade. It's hard to justify making that deal, but hard not to as well.

I don't have high hopes for the Cubs this year, in spite of having a decent team on paper, I doubt they'll even win the NL central. They have a lot of work to do to get where they need to be and unfortunately they have little money to spend.

Whatever happens, I hope the NL can finally win an All Star game and the series too.

Come waste your time with me
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-16, 16:53

Don't forget that the Fightins' won it all in 2008.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-16, 18:32

I know, I was happy that happened, although I would have much rather it been the Cubs. Maybe sometime before I die they can make it past the NLDS again.

I just like the NL's brand of baseball more, it's not surprising that AL teams are "better," it's just disappointing that people abandon baseball in its truest form so they can watch a player hit...and that's all. Really? I'm sad that the DH ever became a position. It's half a player...if that.

Come waste your time with me
ime_NY

2009-12-16, 23:09

The '09 Met-Phils rivalry wasn't that exciting to watch. Perhaps the new NY-Philly rivalry will be between the Phils and Yanks; I can easily see these two making it back to the WS in 2010 and even 2011 b/c their respective rosters are just too loaded.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2009-12-17, 00:37

As a long suffering Jays fan it's sad to see Roy go but I'm glad he landed with the Phillies. And I'm really glad we got Drabek in the deal.

I've been to about a dozen games when Roy was starting and the're always the best to watch. You'll never see so many broken bats and ground ball outs. And he works so bloody fast. You not only got a better pitcher than Lee but you got a guy that will improve your entire pitching staff. His work ethic tends to rub off on people.

Phillies fans just got their new favourite player. And if you guys don't win him a World Series I'm going to come down there and kick all your asses!
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-12-17, 01:26

I don't get the whole letting Matsui go thing either. Other than Jeter, he's been the best clutch hitter on the team in and out of the playoffs. But I guess you can take the Bill Walsh football philosophical stance too...better to let a player go one season too early than a season too late.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-17, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
I know, I was happy that happened, although I would have much rather it been the Cubs. Maybe sometime before I die they can make it past the NLDS again.

I just like the NL's brand of baseball more, it's not surprising that AL teams are "better," it's just disappointing that people abandon baseball in its truest form so they can watch a player hit...and that's all. Really? I'm sad that the DH ever became a position. It's half a player...if that.
Cubbies will make the playoffs and do well again....eventually. haha. I was in your shoes when I was younger. I was a bit too young to get into the 1993 Phillies, but up until 2004, the team wasn't really that good. Signing Jim Thome really changed the franchise for the better.

I'm with you on liking NL baseball over the AL. I just think there is more strategy involved in the NL. The AL is all about show and putting up big numbers, while the NL is all about the game. Now, yes, the Phillies are an "AL style" team, but they still have to deal with the pitcher's spot and all the other good things about baseball in the Senior Circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_NY View Post
The '09 Met-Phils rivalry wasn't that exciting to watch. Perhaps the new NY-Philly rivalry will be between the Phils and Yanks; I can easily see these two making it back to the WS in 2010 and even 2011 b/c their respective rosters are just too loaded.
It was exciting...for Philly fans. I hate to see the rivalry die down so quick, but that's the nature of it between the Phils and Mets. Very rarely are both teams good at the same time. I hate the Yankees, both as a Phillies fan as well as being a Red Sox fan. Just can't stand them really. Not a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
As a long suffering Jays fan it's sad to see Roy go but I'm glad he landed with the Phillies. And I'm really glad we got Drabek in the deal.

I've been to about a dozen games when Roy was starting and the're always the best to watch. You'll never see so many broken bats and ground ball outs. And he works so bloody fast. You not only got a better pitcher than Lee but you got a guy that will improve your entire pitching staff. His work ethic tends to rub off on people.
Phillies fans just got their new favourite player. And if you guys don't win him a World Series I'm going to come down there and kick all your asses!
I can't wait to see Halladay pitch in Philly. I might even head down to Washington's season opener because the Phillies are playing. Halladay should get the start there.

He should fit in perfect in CBP with the ground ball outs. He's going to be awesome.

It's also nice to see a pitcher want to play for a team simply because he wants to win. Halladay signed a below market extension just to be in Philly. How often does that happen? He's already become a fan favorite here. I've already seen a few Halladay jerseys on the streets. That's crazy.

ime_NY

2009-12-17, 16:52

So, kieran, when, when are you getting your Halladay jersey?

What do people think about the BoSox's signings of Lackey and Cameron? I like the moves, especially since I think Cameron has always been underrated.

Heard Curtis Granderson on local sports talk radio today. Sounds like a humble guy. I'm always amazed by people who do not consider themselves power hitters (Puljos; I think Utley said likewise, too; now Granderson) even if they belt 30 homers in a season.
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-18, 02:20

The Yankees are idiots. Not only did the Yankees let Matsui go, but it looks like they are going to let Damon go as well. And who it looks like will replace Matsui as DH?? Nick Johnson. Matsui is 10x better of a DH then Johnson. Plus, it would only cost you $1 million more then what they''ll pay for Johnson as rumored. Are the Yankees trying to miss the playoffs again? They should have retained Matsui, grab Bay to replace Damon, and then focus on pitchers as the 4th and 5th spot are weak starters( Joba, Mitre).

giggity
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-18, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_NY View Post
So, kieran, when, when are you getting your Halladay jersey?

What do people think about the BoSox's signings of Lackey and Cameron? I like the moves, especially since I think Cameron has always been underrated.

Heard Curtis Granderson on local sports talk radio today. Sounds like a humble guy. I'm always amazed by people who do not consider themselves power hitters (Puljos; I think Utley said likewise, too; now Granderson) even if they belt 30 homers in a season.

I doubt I'll be getting any more jerseys this year. Next jersey on my list is an authentic Darren Daulton one. Been wanting it for years.

I like the Lackey signing by the Sox. Seems a bit too much $$, but he's a solid pitcher. With Wakefield trying to come back from last season's injuries, who knows what will happen with him. Cameron is a nice addition as well. I just hope this doesn't "force" the Sox to trade Ellsbury. I love that kid.

Utley will never say he's a power hitter, and he's really not. His power numbers just come from that perfect swing he's got. When you swing the bat like Uts does, the numbers will come.

Eugene
careful with axes

2009-12-18, 09:57

Interesting take on what defines "power." If you break it down to physics...if two players hit a ball travelling at the same velocities and trajectory, the mechanical work/power is the same.

What about pitchers? Lincecum and Oswalt can both reach back and hit 97-99 MPH on their fastballs, but they're both, what, 5'11"? Are they not "power" pitchers just because they generate power more effectively with their small frames?

If you hit 30 HR in 600 AB, you are a power hitter in my book.

I will concede that a powerful hitter can have diminished power numbers if he chooses to exploit all his talents. A power hitter with great bat control might inside-out one to a gap in the opposite field. A speedy player with power might occasionally bunt for a hit to keep infielders on their toes...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-02-24, 13:38

Well, now that Spring Training has started, I can finally see the end of winter. Soon enough, there will be Spring Training games being played. Not long after that will the season start.

I can't wait for this season. My Phillies are looking to head back to the WS for the 3rd straight season, something not done in the Senior Circuit in 60 years.

I've already got my partial season ticket plan of 17 games lined up and ready to go. I also am going to DC for the season opener against the Nationals. There are going to be so many Phillies' fans there. I can't wait. Seeing Doc Halladay make his Phillies debut, hopefully against the Nationals' future start Strassburg. Should be awesome.

Of course, in pure Philly fashion, we had to take something trivial and beat it into the ground. Jayson Werth showed up to camp yesterday looking like this:

and the Philly media was all over it, especially on the bloggins scene. There's already a Twitter account set up for Jayson's Beard as well as a blog specifically for Photoshopped pics of him. It's awesome.

As you can tell, we're ready for baseball to start here in Philly.

Last edited by kieran : 2010-02-24 at 16:19.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2010-03-01, 08:12

Twins open up a new stadium this year with 3 huge additions. Orlando Hudson at 2b, JJ-Hardy at Short, and Thome sitting on the bench. The Twins made out like bandits money wise with THome and Hudson. I'm glad we were able to move Gomez for a very very young SS that will be able to play everyday. This also helps to thin out the cluster f*ck that was our outfield last year (5 starting outfielders).

On a side note. My Aunt produces ESPN radio and her sports are College Football (she does the bowl games), NBA, and MLB. I finally cracked this year and asked to get tickets for the Twins opening day at the new stadium. She claims that she'll be able to get me some...I'm obscenely excited about this.

And All That Could Have Been
Foj
Veteran Member

2010-03-07, 15:04

Listened to some of the Braves-Astros spring training game today. It's officially baseball season for me now.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-11, 23:30

Can you guys believe MLB At Bat is now $15, if I recall correctly it was $7ish last season. MLB really must have taken a hit with this economy, on the offseason n all.
Noel

2010-03-12, 00:03

It was $15 at the beginning of last season. They dropped the price mid-season, I believe, since its value is contingent upon how much more baseball you can watch...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-12, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
It was $15 at the beginning of last season. They dropped the price mid-season, I believe, since its value is contingent upon how much more baseball you can watch...
Ahh I see. I read a couple of the reviews, someone was sayin they took out pitch by pitch video unless you buy league pass. :/
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-03-12, 08:07

I buy At-Bat strictly for the audio. I rarely look at the actual app.

Should be a big thing for me this summer as I expect to do a bit of traveling for work and I don't want to miss out on any Phillies' games. Plus, I'm a Red Sox fan as well, so being able to listen to their broadcasts makes the $15 more than worth it.

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2010-03-12, 10:11

I pay the 15 bucks every year for the audio so I can listen to the Twins. That is such a ridiculously good deal for 162 games. I pay 15 bucks a month every month for the stupid NFL audio package and there are only 16 games.

And All That Could Have Been
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-12, 11:58

Ahh, I see.... I'll give it some thought then. How good is the audio quality? AM? Worse, better?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-03-12, 13:37

Depends on a few factors.

The original feed might not be all that great. Plus, it's obviously a much better connection through wi-fi than 3G or EDGE. I've lost connection many times with 3G.

Overall though, quality is good, plus you get the choice of home or away feeds. I like to switch it up every once in a while and see what the other team's announcers say about my team.

Quagmire
meh

2010-03-17, 14:12

What is everyones thoughts on the Yankees 5th starter position? So far the favorites of Hughes and Chamberlain are having a rough Spring while Mitre, Aceves, and Gaudin are the ones stepping up.

Hughes is a potential starter I say one day, but for now he is good as a long reliever. Chamberlain is a bullpen career person. He is the perfect person to be the setup man for Mo and eventual replacement as the Yankees closer, IMHO. He just doesn't have the stuff to be a starter.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2010-03-18 at 00:11.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-03-17, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
What is everyones thoughts on the Yankees 5th starter position? So far the favorites of Hughes and Chamberlain are having rough a rough Spring while Mitre, Aceves, and Gaudin are the ones stepping up.

Hughes is a potential starter I say one day, but for now he is good as a long reliever. Chamberlain is a bullpen career person. He is the perfect person to be the setup man for Mo and eventual replacement as the Yankees closer, IMHO. He just doesn't have the stuff to be a starter.
Joba is a chump and has a lot of growing up to do.

I think the Yankees should have traded him for a star 2 years ago when he was hot. Very immature guy who clearly thinks he is hot shit and has not put the work in. If anything, stick him in the pen until he learns to like it. He is a terrible starter and all he does is make excuses for it.

Hughes has more potential I think. Hughes can be the 5th starter. Not really a fan of Mitre, Aceves or Gaudin.
Quagmire
meh

2010-03-18, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Joba is a chump and has a lot of growing up to do.

I think the Yankees should have traded him for a star 2 years ago when he was hot. Very immature guy who clearly thinks he is hot shit and has not put the work in. If anything, stick him in the pen until he learns to like it. He is a terrible starter and all he does is make excuses for it.

Hughes has more potential I think. Hughes can be the 5th starter. Not really a fan of Mitre, Aceves or Gaudin.
Well what do you expect from a 24 year old? He could stop with the chest pounding antics after he strikes out a person. He has some serious heat when he is in the bullpen which is ideal for a setup or closing position. He just needs to mature. He is no Mo( in dominance and behavior), but he is the next Yankees closer if the Yankees abandon their starter plans and doesn't trade him I predict.

giggity
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-03-18, 04:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Well what do you expect from a 24 year old? He could stop with the chest pounding antics after he strikes out a person. He has some serious heat when he is in the bullpen which is ideal for a setup or closing position. He just needs to mature. He is no Mo( in dominance and behavior), but he is the next Yankees closer if the Yankees abandon their starter plans and doesn't trade him I predict.
He's been a major leaguer for 3 years now. People can't keep using his age as an excuse. Did Derek Jeter have these issues when he was 19?

24 is no longer a kid... these should be his prime years for a guy who's best pitch is his lively fastball.

The antics, the wardrobe, the comments, the excuses, the DUI, the inconsistent performance.... not very promising.