MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 6 of 25 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-09, 14:39

Once we exhaust the remainder of the desert north and south of town center — which, if we keep growing at the rate we did last weekend, will happen surprisingly soon! — I think heading west makes sense. There's a huge, wide-open plain near my sheep farm and Brad's mansion, and there's a big deserty island that's also empty right next to it. And the lilypad bridge I made makes it much easier to get out that way, on non-creative days.

Any chance for a map update soon? I wanna see all the new things! Like the huge museum. And the lighthouse. And the huge museum.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-09, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Quote:
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Sorry about that.
Fucking copyright police.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-09, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Any chance for a map update soon? I wanna see all the new things! Like the huge museum. And the lighthouse. And the huge museum.
I might take a crack at making a static map.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-04-09, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Fucking copyright police.
It wasn't worth it (sorry Bryson).
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-09, 16:52

I thought it was pretty funny actually...
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-04-09, 17:10

I have no doubt you did.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-09, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Working on this right now. Should be able to have it updated in the next half hour or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I might take a crack at making a static map.
I was looking for something to make a static overhead view but couldn't find anything when I last looked. Anvil isn't very fast adopted for these tools. If you find a good one let me know and I'll do it. I have all versions of OS to do it on.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-09, 18:21

Sorry for the delays. Ran some errands earlier.

Holy crap. Turtle wasn't kidding. Who did this eastward expansion?

Also, town:

edit: Looks like mcmaps.applenova.com has finished updating too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-09, 18:39

Yep, just finished updating completely. Enjoy!

If you look north of the Theater you can see the entrance to the train to the East.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-04-09 at 20:55. Reason: Added image with our Texture Pack
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-04-09, 20:19

I see that the Dragonship from BP has made a surprise appearance.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-09, 23:08

Ooh! That must be one of the secret NON-RELIGIOUS EASTER EGGS Brad hid on the map before Easter.

At first we thought the giant monolith was one, but it turns out that Bruce just built it really quick in the dark of night.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-04-10, 01:15

Elyisum: It might be a good idea sooner than later to specify your plot in town with roads or whatnot.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-10, 13:13

yeah - Ely's place needs some "landscape" around it to work effectively IMO.

I spent ages looking for the Sea Monster from Loch Greene until I realised that wasn't what was meant by "Dragon Ship". That should totally come over and touch down near Monster Island, though.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-04-10, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Elyisum: It might be a good idea sooner than later to specify your plot in town with roads or whatnot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
yeah - Ely's place needs some "landscape" around it to work effectively IMO.
I'll work on it tonight.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-10, 18:41

I still haven't found the ship but I did find my creeper head!

Edit: just found the ship!

So anyone mind if I kill off the massive trip East? Also wanting to kill off the one long stretch heading north in the snow.

Any objections?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-10, 20:51

Kill 'em.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-04-10, 22:39

Nuke from orbit. Only way to be sure.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-11, 14:41

Turtle: Am I correct in thinking that the maps have to be run manually these days?

I think you can safely nuke the extensions. I kind of like that the North appears to be an endless snow biome - even though I know it can't really be, it seems "right".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-11, 16:17

You are correct that as of now I'm having to run it manually. Since Beast is having an issue right now I haven't been able to get python compiled on it and the other stuff needed to make Overviewer run on it yet. So..... I have a PC VM running on it that runs Overviewer and I rsync it over to my server.

I'm trimming now, I'll post once I do it. However I'm still working on this so it will be a bit before I finish it as I'm working on multiple things right now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-11, 18:47

Prune completed with a backup before I ran it. Maps are going to take a bit to rerun since I killed so much. If needed Brad, pre-prune is 20120411.1933.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-11, 21:13

Newest map is up with prune completed. Enjoy!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-12, 23:54

So, I started going round and adding names to streets. I'm not particularly attached to many of them so if any I've added don't work, then I'm open to changing them. Take a look and let me know if there's a problem.

And: if it's not yet named, feel free to go ahead and write on the sign. My only ask is that you walk the length of the street and update ALL the signs on that road, so we don't end up with one street, two names.
¡Damned!

2012-04-13, 14:48

I like the idea of street names, Bryson, a lot.

I'd like to suggest one small tweak though - instead of two free-standing signs on the corner of a street, how about something like this?:

Gives it more of a street-signey feel, imo. Just putting that out there for input.

Also, I'm not sure that Museum Avenue warrants that whole long strip. Maybe switch names at Main Street, or even at the bridge.

Nicely done though. This world is really coming together nicely, and is starting to feel like a real home again.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-13, 15:15

I like that a lot.

We debated Museum Avenue as a name. I kind of feel that the same road shouldn't change names halfway down, but if we can agree on a better name I'm cool with that.
¡Damned!

2012-04-13, 15:25

Cool.

Maybe Museum Ave can be Division Ave (because every city (at least in the US) has a Division Ave that intersects with *the* main street ) and it can change to Museum Ave after it crosses the bridge to the museum area. I think there's precedent for that. Museum Ave would just be a single strip in front of the main entrance. It will *eventually* lead to something else but that's a different build for another time.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-16, 11:28

So, the weird "island" on the map was me. Well, sort of.

I rode a minecart in the nether and then went through the portal there - and that's where I popped out. I don't know who built the cart or the portal, though.
delphi

2012-04-16, 11:47

I've been playing around in the Nether. Building rails and building portals in the Nether just to see what happens. I was surprised to see a matching portal was made in the overworld when I built the portal in the Nether.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-16, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi View Post
I've been playing around in the Nether. Building rails and building portals in the Nether just to see what happens. I was surprised to see a matching portal was made in the overworld when I built the portal in the Nether.
Yes, unless you build the portal in Nether near a current portal. So I take it I'm good to cut out this chunk again? Also, before I do this, please take down the portal in Nether so it doesn't just come back.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-16, 16:42

There's absolutely nothing there. In fact, I got healthily lost as there's nothing man-made and had to commit suicide to get back to civilisation. So yeah, prune it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-16, 16:54

Will do. Thanks.

Edit: Shrinking the map now.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-04-16 at 17:52.