Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Recovering a deleted conversation in iOS Messages

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Recovering a deleted conversation in iOS Messages
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-02-04, 12:43

What it says on the tin, my wife accidentally deleted four years of messages with our youngest, you can imagine how heartbroken she is.

They are, of course, backed up to iCloud, and synced, so they immediately went *poof* on all her other devices too.

No iTunes backups.

She has her iMac account synced to Messages, but for reasons I am trying not to turn purple over, someone in the house decided that since it had 'iCloud backup', that it didn't need Time Machine on. So that's a dead route.

Her only option seems to be to recover from last known iCloud backup, which was 30 hours ago.

Any other options for her? Looking around, I see a number of skeezy looking sites that offer free apps to do this, all you have to do is enter your iCloud password. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Recommendations for non-skeezy apps so she doesn't have to do the recovery mambo?

Last edited by Kickaha : 2020-02-04 at 13:16.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-04, 13:45

Would the iCloud Backup actually contain the message? Seems like Apple would make that separate from the backups since it would be effectively double backed up with the sync feature and then a backup too.

I don't know but do hope you're able to find a valid method. That does suck.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-04, 15:51

Give Apple a call. Maybe they can help.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-04, 16:47

In a situation like this, I'd definitely call Apple support. Maybe they've got some sort of backup access on their end? Can't hurt to ask/plead your case. The 1-2 times I've had to get with them over the years on something borderline catastrophic, they were very understanding and helpful (replacing an out-of-warranty power supply, helping sort out a big AppleID/iCloud screw-up, etc.).

I'd never give out my iCloud info to some unknown cheesy "miracle recovery" site online...you know they'd record it and get up to all kinds of no good with it. I was tempted to do something like that once, and a bit of quick Googling quickly knocked my senses back in place. I can only imagine the hell-on-earth I'd probably still be going through had I gone down that road.

Online-wise, if you're not a relative, super-close friend or Apple themselves, you ain't getting NOTHING from me. I won't even tell anyone my favorite color at this point.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-02-05, 16:57

Well, she found one lonely iPad that had not synced due to a dead battery, so on it went, off went the WiFi, and I was able to recover all four years of chats using PhoneView as an archive, and a PDF.

*shrug* She's happy with it.

I'll give Apple a call though, just in case, but I'm going to guess they say "Sorry".

Thanks guys.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-05, 18:33

You're welcome!