AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Back-to-school promo is back

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Back-to-school promo is back
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 06:23

http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/index.html

The yearly back-to-school promo is back, and it's bringing an 8 GB iPod nano or 8 GB iPod touch with it. Interestingly, though, no other models are eligible. So no free iPod classics. You can get a larger-capacity iPod touch, though.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-03, 06:36

It's interesting that you can get a more expensive iPod touch for free, but not an iPod classic. I don't think Cram and Jam has ever given away a $300 iPod before!

Maybe the iPod touch will be updated alongside the iPhone, and this is their way of clearing stock?

In any case, with a better-than-normal iPod promo *and* the Adobe CS3 promo, this is a great time to buy a Mac. It's almost enough to get me to reconsider buying a PC. Almost.

*prays for sub-$1,000 MacBook mini that is somehow still eligible for all these deals at WWDC*

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 07:32

AppleInsider was speculating that they want a solid base of OS X Mobile users out there in time for the launch of the App Store - sounds about right to me! You can downgrade to a Nano, if you wish. But I think you'd probably be better of getting the touch, selling it on eBay, and buying a new Nano.

I like one of their taglines... "Get the most for your parents money"
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-03, 08:38

As an upcoming buyer, I'm curious as to how this works.

Do you get a credit when you buy the computer towards the iPod or do you have to pay for it then receive a rebate or do you just get it at point of purchase?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-03, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
As an upcoming buyer, I'm curious as to how this works.

Do you get a credit when you buy the computer towards the iPod or do you have to pay for it then receive a rebate or do you just get it at point of purchase?
It's a mail-in rebate.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-03, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
It's a mail-in rebate.
Are they prompt with the refund or is it like a cell phone deal where it takes 2-3 months to get the rebate?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-06-03, 10:02

Quote:
Are they prompt with the refund or is it like a cell phone deal where it takes 2-3 months to get the rebate?
Apple's rebates have always been very fast for me. My last one - the printer rebate - I got in less than 2 weeks.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-03, 10:38

This better be in the UK soon as well! Cos I want an iMac and if I could get the educational discount and sell a new iPod as well, its a good discount.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-03, 11:29

I wish they just made it an overall Apple giftcard or something to iTunes. I already have 3 iPods, 2 of which are 6 months old or less.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 11:55

Quote:
I wish they just made it an overall Apple giftcard or something to iTunes. I already have 3 iPods, 2 of which are 6 months old or less.
I presume the point is that they expect to make a good percentage of the rebate back through new iTS customers.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 12:22

Yontsey: Just get the iPod+rebate and sell it on Craigslist or eBay. It's better than a gift card, since you get cash.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-03, 12:33

Yeah, that's true. I was just looking for an easy way out.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-06-03, 13:04

Or you could get the iPod, wait for the rebate, and sell it here.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-06-03, 13:07

iPods don't seem to sell too well here.

It seems almost everyone one of us has one (or three)
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-06-03, 15:13

Quote:
I'm still fighting to get mine from last year. They've outsourced it to some useless company here in Canada, and they keep screwing up. Grrr
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-06-03, 17:04

It took a good 5-6 months for my rebate 3 years ago. Not sure if things have improved since then.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-04, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
It's interesting that you can get a more expensive iPod touch for free, but not an iPod classic. I don't think Cram and Jam has ever given away a $300 iPod before!

Maybe the iPod touch will be updated alongside the iPhone, and this is their way of clearing stock?

In any case, with a better-than-normal iPod promo *and* the Adobe CS3 promo, this is a great time to buy a Mac. It's almost enough to get me to reconsider buying a PC. Almost.

*prays for sub-$1,000 MacBook mini that is somehow still eligible for all these deals at WWDC*
It's a marketing gimmick by Apple... pretty much just for the next week really.

The iPod touch is going to drop in price to $199 next week I would imagine with all these rumors of the 3G iPhone seeing a major price reduction.
Boomerangmacuser

2008-06-04, 09:55

I can't believe they've included School trustees and PTA executive members. Any mom or pop who's involved in their kids school PTA at the elected level (In Canada we call it Parend Advisory Council or PAC) is also eligible. Finally, a perk for all the meetings I have to chair.

They REALLY want to get that OS in as many people's hands.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-06-04, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
The iPod touch is going to drop in price to $199 next week I would imagine with all these rumors of the 3G iPhone seeing a major price reduction.
I don't see them going through all the effort to post the promo now, just to turn around and change it right away. A more likely scenario, IMO, is that the 8 GB iPod touch gets dropped, and the other two drop in price by $100. That way the price difference between the iPod touch and iPhone is still preserved, and Apple doesn't have to change the promo at all. This would work out well for me, since the 32 GB iPod touch would only be $100 after rebate.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-07-08, 10:57

I don't like that the UK B2S starts mid-September, last year it did and thats much to late in my opinion. I want to get me some iMac 24 now!
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-07-09, 09:41

Speaking of which, does anyone know when the Aussie one starts? I'm currently hoping to buy a new Mac before I go away at the end of December/start of January (if it eventuates). Any chance I'll be picking up a free iPod?