Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-03-17, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
*slaps forehead*

Jesus. I knew something was up with this thread that made my Spidey senses tingle.
But that could have been any weirdo with weirdo/over-protective mom. Any home schooled kid

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-03-17, 11:17

I can't stand to read anymore of this bullshit.

Dude. You are not half as important as you think you are. You certainly do not deserve threads created just to discuss you.

Don't fucking do it again.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-17, 12:45

I'll post this here, although I suppose it could go anywhere.

People are not supposed to create duplicate accounts. What we really want with this is for someone not to have two accounts going at the same time.

That being said, if your account is banned for being a douchebag the reality is that's about as far as we care. We don't comb the IP addresses looking for duplicates. We don't do posting style analysis on what people are writing to check against our dipshit banned member's database. We don't care.

The only way you get banned repeatedly is by continuing to be a douche. If someone gets banned and comes back under a new name, and manages to post on the forums without being a prick: Welcome.

That doesn't happen to often, but it is possible.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me

macsforever

2006-03-17, 14:00

Thank you. Thank you so much. I'm glad to hear that, and i'm glad i'm welcomed back on these forums.

And, just for the record... I thought Episode 3 sucked.

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-03-17, 16:11

While we are at it...

I'm really \/\/ickes

I know, the new name really makes it hard to tell.

Anyhow, welcome back. And I hope this round of your stay here contains less banning.. for your sake.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-03-17, 16:28

I am... I... *sob*

*tears*

I am really... *breaks down crying*

Oh shit, I haven't changed my nick since I started posting. Disregard.

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-03-17, 16:43

Maybe we can all go for a walk down Madison Ave at 1:00 AM, all of us pissed as farts, and we can sing the duet from the Silver fish.

LOL

Mile 1

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-03-17, 16:53

Now MacGeek/Macsforever/whatever... seems like you've matured a lot in the last several weeks... but one thing you're still doing: making threads about yourself.

Seriously, we'll like you much more if you don't.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Quagmire
meh

2006-03-17, 16:58

Now maybe an explanation on why you acted like you did. And by creating a duplicating account that prompts a ban, but alc already said that. I am really interested on why you acted like you did.

giggity

Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-03-17, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
we'll like you much more if you don't.
from a low base.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-03-17, 21:59

NO!!!!
No explanations.
Just.... be.

rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-03-17, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
<snip>Between the homeschooling*</snip>

*I don't believe that homeschooling is a bad thing, but when badly done...youch.
**Not really.
Hey now, I homeschool. How many of you got to wake up at 10 all throughout highschool?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-17, 22:06

To be or

billybobsky
BANNED

2006-03-17, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
I homeschool. How many of you got to wake up at 10 all throughout highschool?
How many of you wake up after noon every day in grad school?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-17, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
Hey now, I homeschool. How many of you got to wake up at 10 all throughout highschool?
I usually did.

Got in a lot of trouble for it, but hey, it was just choir and chemistry. I had no problems nailing the former and the latter I slept through anyway.

Homeschooling is interesting in that it is *COMPLETELY* dependent on the quality of the teaching from the parents. I've seen great homeschooling, and kids that are so completely fucked up it isn't funny. Sadly, it's more of the latter than the former.

ironlung

2006-03-17, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
How many of you wake up after noon every day in grad school?
not me at least. 7am everyday..

i really dont know what macgeek2005 did, but all this attention is quite amusing.

macsforever

2006-03-17, 23:25

I haven't studied at all my entire life. I'm 15 now, and i'm finally starting to take some online courses from Oak Meadow.

My parents philosophy of homeschooling was "let them do whatever they want". And they did. I grew up doing whatever I wanted 24/7/365, literally. And I learned stuff too. But living in this world, you learn things, whether you get out there and learn them naturally, or whether you sit in a classroom and have information forced into your brain. *shrug*. That was their philosophy. Now i'm taking some online courses, because I'm doing this running start thing next year, and I need to have some kind of a resume.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-18, 00:02

I don't like homeschooling because I don't think homeschooled kids get as much social interaction. I don't know if that's a cliched argument or whatever, but I think it's true. I was homeschooled up through grade 4. My mom made the requisite attempts at giving me social interaction - we had an area "home school group" that met every once in a while, and my mom practically forced me to play with the other kids - but it never worked. I didn't know any of them. It's like being forced to play with strangers.

Throughout my "real school" career, I've been extremely introverted. I lacked basic social skills, and it took a long time to learn them. (It didn't help that my mom was one of those people that didn't believe in TV or any toy made out of plastic, so I had no common interests with any of my classmates.) I am extremely shy, because I'm afraid of making a social mistake. I have anxiety, basically.

Only in the last few years (I'm a senior) have I been able to overcome that, and even now, I'm still introverted. (I'm still afraid to ask anyone to the prom.) I wasn't able to get a job until I was 17 (not that that's a bad thing). I'm much more outspoken on the internet than I am in real life - in fact, I think communicating over the internet, where no one can really see you, is one of the things that has helped me overcome my anxiety somewhat. But I still have far to go.

Is it possible to homeschool a child while providing adequate social interaction? I'm sure it is. But it's hard, and like Kickaha, I'm not sure most parents are up to the task.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

ast3r3x

2006-03-18, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I have anxiety, basically.
I know there are different levels, but I'm pretty sure your just being a normal insecure teen. Although I do think home school messes with kids ability to function socially up to par, I doubt home schooling is the cause of your problems.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-18, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
*slaps forehead*

Jesus. I knew something was up with this thread that made my Spidey senses tingle.

Between the homeschooling* and having to wear that tinfoil hat all day things are starting to make a lot more sense.
Yeah, it all makes sense now...it's all coming together. Wow, I should have put 2+2 together there, nice work 709.

rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-03-18, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I don't like homeschooling because I don't think homeschooled kids get as much social interaction. I don't know if that's a cliched argument or whatever, but I think it's true. I was homeschooled up through grade 4. My mom made the requisite attempts at giving me social interaction - we had an area "home school group" that met every once in a while, and my mom practically forced me to play with the other kids - but it never worked. I didn't know any of them. It's like being forced to play with strangers.

Throughout my "real school" career, I've been extremely introverted. I lacked basic social skills, and it took a long time to learn them. (It didn't help that my mom was one of those people that didn't believe in TV or any toy made out of plastic, so I had no common interests with any of my classmates.) I am extremely shy, because I'm afraid of making a social mistake. I have anxiety, basically.

Only in the last few years (I'm a senior) have I been able to overcome that, and even now, I'm still introverted. (I'm still afraid to ask anyone to the prom.) I wasn't able to get a job until I was 17 (not that that's a bad thing). I'm much more outspoken on the internet than I am in real life - in fact, I think communicating over the internet, where no one can really see you, is one of the things that has helped me overcome my anxiety somewhat. But I still have far to go.

Is it possible to homeschool a child while providing adequate social interaction? I'm sure it is. But it's hard, and like Kickaha, I'm not sure most parents are up to the task.
I take Labs and other classes every monday, and have friends over all the time... That's not enough social interaction?

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-18, 13:02

I've read about studies done on toddlers in a play area. It seems that tendencies toward extroversion/introversion are clearly evident even at such an early age.

According to the study's conclusion, shyness seems to be an inherited trait. The study also seemed to indicate that the introverted person can work hard to moderate the effects of his shyness, but that the trait will always be with him.

I felt pretty bad about that. I'm a very outgoing person, and that openness affords me a lot of pleasure in life. I feel sorry for those who have to struggle with shyness, because it greatly affects so many aspects of a person's existence.

Anyway, I would agree that homeschooling probably makes it much harder for the shy child to learn social skills. I think if parents were observant enough to detect shyness in their toddler at that early age, they should go to vast lengths to make sure that child had *extra* opportunities to learn peer group socialization, not fewer.

For those with social anxiety, I think meditation and visualization could be very helpful.

ast3r3x

2006-03-18, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
…I think meditation and visualization could be very helpful.
Interesting that an introverted trait can be seen so early. I am an introverted person, although I try to make an effort not to be so much. It's a double edged sword, because I am perfectly fine to sit at home by myself, while extroverts go crazy doing that. However less experiences are had I'm sure.

Not that I use them, but I do believe mentally visualization exercises could be very helpful.

kbk

Send a message via MSN to kbk  
2006-03-18, 17:13

Hmmm

I believe that the success of homeschooling is largely dependent upon a) the childs wiligness to learn and of course b) the parents.

So often I see parents who home school their kids and let them get away with murder. Then you get some parents who send the kid to school, find that their child is getting "picked on" so they home school them for a year then send them back and face exactly the same issue. However it seems as though these kids are no getting picked on at all, they're just down right nasty to the other kids. Im serious. Either that or they become overbearing on their new friends.

Basically I belive that kids who are home schooled then sent to school suffer greatly because they DO often lack general simple social skills. They don't learn the hard knocks like- don't hits your friends or they'll ditch you. Or they never develop to sense things in other people. I'm sure most if not all of you can "sense" when someone's pissed at you? Many kids deprived of social interaction at an early age can't. Socialization is a delocate procedure throughout the animal kingdom. *sigh* I guess I just feel like most parents become too protective of their child so they home school them and in my opinion screw up their child's socialization habits.

MacBook Pro (1.83 Ghz 100GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM)
Lois: Peter, you're acting like a child!
Peter: Lois, if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? - a paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-18, 18:53

Wait. I just put 2 and 2 together. This thread really explains a lot of what macgeek was dealing with. I always knew he was a nutcase but now I know *why*.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-03-18, 20:20

Is that your professional opinion?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-03-18, 20:26

If you can't be famous, be infamous...

billybobsky
BANNED

2006-03-18, 20:31

If you can't be infamous, kill Bryson.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-18, 20:32

*kills Bryson*

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-18, 21:19

Ok, I'm locking this again as it's gotten about as much useful info out of it as humanly possible. Yikes. This explains soooooo much though.

If anyone wants to start a thread on home school vs. everything else, please feel free to.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me