Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Look north at night, Solar Flare Heading this way
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-14, 13:01

Can you tell I like C|Net?

Images here with write ups.

This kind of things really fascinates me. I'm always looking up to see what I can see. So images like these are really cool. Doesn't seem like I'll be able to see the effects of the flare, but those at higher latitudes will.

Quote:
Coronal mass ejections are clouds of electrified, magnetic gas weighing billions of tons. When directed at Earth, the ejections can cause spectacular auroral displays and magnetic storms that occasionally affect satellites, radio communications and power systems.
No need for your tinfoil hats this time, but you can get a pretty good picture at night it looks like. If anyone heads out and sees the northern lights, how about throwing up some images.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-14, 13:07

Definitely...would be really cool
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-14, 13:10

You know, it just dawned on me that depending on how far north you go it's always night.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-15, 01:19

So did any of you northerners go out and see anything?
faust

2006-12-15, 09:45

I used to work for CNET, great company but only if you work in the SF head office.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-12-15, 11:10

That first picture is wild - very out of control.

I have no idea if this event is related, but I've seen 3 shooting stars in the past 4 days (2 last night), and I had never before seen one in all my advanced years.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-12-15, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
You know, it just dawned on me that depending on how far north you go it's always night.
Or day, depending on the season.

It's bizarre in Alaska - in midsummer, the sun comes up at about 4am and goes down at about 2am. It never truly gets dark. I wouldn't want to live there in the Winter though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-15, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Or day, depending on the season.

It's bizarre in Alaska - in midsummer, the sun comes up at about 4am and goes down at about 2am. It never truly gets dark. I wouldn't want to live there in the Winter though.
Yeah, I'm not sure I would do well with little natural light for months on end. I have noticed I drag some times during normal winter here in Virginia and there's still a relatively long day. Always sunlit, I could handle that. Think drapes or roll down shutters would keep the light out of my bedroom.

So did anyone see any good northern lights? What about pictures? That's all just cool to me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-15, 18:17

I thought I saw something last night that might be more than glowing clouds, but probably that's all it was. I think you have to be *way* north to see any of this stuff.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-12-15, 19:38

I'm pretty far north right now - like Collingwood, Ontario, but I missed it. Maybe tonight? I'll let you know.

UPDATE: It looks real cloudy out, thats probably why I didn't get to see it.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
faust

2006-12-18, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I thought I saw something last night that might be more than glowing clouds, but probably that's all it was. I think you have to be *way* north to see any of this stuff.

That's what I saw Saturday night around 11:30pm. I'm on the south shore of Long Island.

My family though I was crazy when I called to tell them to check it out.