User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone Activation = TERRIBLE

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone Activation = TERRIBLE
Mr Ten

2007-06-29, 23:23

i've been on the phone for two hours, no answers from AT&T, itunes says the activation cannot be done with my account, called back to at&t, got transferred, still on hold for 20 minutes, this really sucks... so it's a personal account that maybe my family put as a company account, so what, how hard is this? at&t already set up my rate plan, just need to get itunes to active / unlock the phone so i can use it already. AHAHAAHAHAHAAAHHHHH!!!! 9 hours of waiting, i getthe 8gb phone, and now i stare at the "active me" screen, blah.

/rant

share your stories or PLEASE provide your solution!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-29, 23:24

Company accounts aren't eligible for iPhone use - there seems to be a number of people having this problem, either with business accounts supposedly converted to personal accounts (but not according to iTunes activation), or other personal/business account issues.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-06-29, 23:26

Mr Ten, it's the first day and *everyone* and their dog is trying to register.. Get over it, and learn a little patience.

EDIT - And if your verbal communication skills are anything like your post writing skills I am not surprised if people on the other end of the phone are confused / unhelpful. Sorry, but I call it how I see it.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-29, 23:28

I'm thinking they're just flooded to death right now, with a ton of people all slamming their network (or whatever it is you slam at high-activity periods like this), and it's going to be this way for a day. Or if you're trying to do anything the least bit funky regarding your account?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-29, 23:45

Activatation for me was so super easy I couldn't believe it. I've never seen such a slick implementation of something that is generally very onerous.

Thinking about the future of iPhone, this will allow sale alongside iPods and other CE stuff rather than having to go into a special store or kiosks. That may be the most revolutionary thing about the iPhone. Oh and the keyboard is so awesome when you get used to it.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-06-29, 23:49

Is it doing any better than iTunes' servers were with all the new iPod activations this past Christmas? iTS was sooo bogged down.
Mr Ten

2007-06-29, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Mr Ten, it's the first day and *everyone* and their dog is trying to register.. Get over it, and learn a little patience.

EDIT - And if your verbal communication skills are anything like your post writing skills I am not surprised if people on the other end of the phone are confused / unhelpful. Sorry, but I call it how I see it.
no need to be prissy i was simply venting, communication is very clear and proper, just a little bothered, you can try and understand...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-06-30, 00:10

Absolutely.. I am just prissy 'cos I don't have one yet! Good luck.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-06-30, 00:33

My activation process was almost flawless... In fact I'm posting from my iPhone right now because I can.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-30, 01:09

Not directly iPhone-related but I subscribed to AT&T via Amazon.com at 6:00 p.m. yesterday and still haven't received the email from AT&T with my account info., so even if I did get an iPhone yesterday, I'd be prevented from activating it.

I'm assuming AT&T was slammed with new accounts/credit apps and gave priority to the in-store and iTunes customers. Hopefully I'll get that email later today.
mrjinglesusa

2007-06-30, 14:40

No problems here at 7:30 pm EST last night. Took less than 5 minutes to activate.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-06-30, 14:45

went flawlessly and fast for me

g
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-06-30, 14:48

apple007....takes about a day to get your phone number from att...

then you have to call a special number to get that number changed to your current one (if changing from other provider to ATT)...

i opened my ATT thursday night, got my email with my att number friday around 5pm, bought my iPhone at 8pm, was too late to have my number changed (open 7 to 7 mountain) so i did that this morning at 7 ish, had my iPhone up and running on my old number by 10am

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-30, 15:44

Update: I received the email with my new AT&T numbers at 12:30 p.m., roughly 18 hours after subscribing via Amazon.com. Not as fast as I expected -- others had mentioned activation in under an hour -- but not bad, either, considering the onslaught of new accounts they probably faced.

Now my next question: Anyone know if number porting can happen on Sundays? I'm heading out now to try to buy an iPhone, but I don't want to port my number to AT&T until I have an iPhone in my possession, and that might not happen until late tonight. Until I own an iPhone, I don't want to port my numbers to phones that won't arrive from Amazon until July 5-7 (estimated). Thanks.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-30, 15:47

I'm sure porting is not a manual process, so Sundays shouldn't matter.
Grip

2007-06-30, 18:34

After long convos on the phone with AT&T and Apple, I finally got it activated. Had to ditch the old number, got to AT&T store and get a new sim card, activate as a new account and then finally cancel my old phone number and account.

The second attempt at activation was completed in 15 mins.

Oh yeah, now I can finally attest to the greatness of this phone.

Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-30, 19:30

C|Net had an article about having an issue and others having issues getting their phones activated.

I'm concerned now for when I buy my iPhone because I'm under a FAN (Corporate Plan) and I normally have to buy through the business support and sales side of Cingular/AT&T. Grip, were you under a similar situation?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-30, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
C|Net had an article about having an issue and others having issues getting their phones activated.

I'm concerned now for when I buy my iPhone because I'm under a FAN (Corporate Plan) and I normally have to buy through the business support and sales side of Cingular/AT&T. Grip, were you under a similar situation?
turtle, the CSR's head will explode if you try to buy a consumer phone when you've got a FAN account. Trust me, I've tried. I was amazed at how confused the CSR got when I tried to explain what I was doing.
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-06-30, 20:29

I ported my T-Mobile number to AT&T a couple weeks ago, and signed up with a military discount (presumably, a FAN account). When I activated my iPhone, it simply told me that I would not be eligible for the discounted plan with the iPhone, and automatically switched me to the normally-priced version of the same plan. No call to a CSR required, though it did take a few tries and about five minutes of waiting at the final confirmation prompt before activation was completed.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-30, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm sure porting is not a manual process, so Sundays shouldn't matter.
Okay, good. I thought I had to call in to speak with someone at AT&T. (I did the Amazon.com thing, so I need to port first to the new Amazon.com numbers and then activate an iPhone, if I can find one tomorrow.)

Last edited by apple007 : 2007-06-30 at 21:28.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-30, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
turtle, the CSR's head will explode if you try to buy a consumer phone when you've got a FAN account. Trust me, I've tried. I was amazed at how confused the CSR got when I tried to explain what I was doing.
I've faced this issue before too. I'm gonna call 611 and see what their take is. If they tell me I'll have to dump my FAN to get the iPhone then I'll be sure to let it go. I'm guessing though that I just won't get my normal equipment discount as is part of my (former) companies plan. Then again, I'm not with the company any more either....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I ported my T-Mobile number to AT&T a couple weeks ago, and signed up with a military discount (presumably, a FAN account). When I activated my iPhone, it simply told me that I would not be eligible for the discounted plan with the iPhone, and automatically switched me to the normally-priced version of the same plan. No call to a CSR required, though it did take a few tries and about five minutes of waiting at the final confirmation prompt before activation was completed.
Even if I have to switch, it'll be worth it. I would rather not though, why give up a discount if I don't have to? Plus, not all my lines will be iPhones.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-06-30, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Company accounts aren't eligible for iPhone use - there seems to be a number of people having this problem, either with business accounts supposedly converted to personal accounts (but not according to iTunes activation), or other personal/business account issues.
I activated mine right out front of the apple store in victoria gardens using my evdo card. it kind of froze up on me but it worked. one thing i did find is that when i called to ask a question they had not actually put the iphone plan on to my account, even though my iphone was active and working. about the whole business account thing, mine is under allstate and they didnt ask any questions of it. it is all set up and happy now
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-30, 23:28

Cool - my company has a *heck* of a deal with AT&T for phones and plans, so I'm eagerly waiting for them to drop the gate on this. If they do, I'm picking up two.
bender0069

2007-07-01, 15:57

I had no trouble activating my iPhone, but since it's release at&t's website for checking your account has been down. I'm sure all the new accounts have overwhelmed it a bit. It's getting frustrating, I'm at the end of a billing cycle and I want to make sure that the old data plan from my old phone was removed so I don't have to pay for it next month. If not, I can remove it from my account online. I don't feel like waiting on hold for hours just to talk to customer service. I guess if I can't get on by Monday I'll call.
faust

2007-07-01, 16:02

I did both my unit and the gf's in under 30 yesterday morning.
pwat

2007-07-02, 08:56

My activation was flawless and took under 5 minutes. It WAS AMAZING!.
I am sorry for those that had a problem, but hang in there...it is worth it.
Mr Ten

2007-07-02, 13:16

making absolutely zero changes to my procedure in setting things up, i did activation in less than three minutes last night and i am up and running. did nothing different and have been cruising along since. time to get used to this new phone. thanks for hearing the rant ;-)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 13:33

Good, sounds like AT&T may finally be getting the kinks worked out on their end.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-07-02, 14:00

took me 20 minutes to start making calls after unpacking