Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Silicon Mac Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Silicon Mac Pro
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-18, 11:06

We'll go ahead and start a new thread for the upcoming Mac Pro with Apple Silicon.

Could be a beast unlike any Apple beast ever before.

I'm guessing it will be faster in every metric (including GPU) than anything that has come before it. I have very high hopes for AS, and if current M1 specs mean anything at all, the Mx Pro is going to be !

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-18, 11:17

Doesn't seem to answer the big questions, like:
  • why are they redesigning after just one release, which wasn't an unpopular design?
  • will RAM be non-unified again? (Probably, right?)
  • will the GPU be discrete again?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-18, 12:22

I think Apple is finished with discreet GPU's. My gut feeling tells me they can and will do better than the other guys, because the AS GPU will be optimized specifically for MacOS.

BUT!

I also think they will have PCIe slots in these things—along with RAM slots—for upgraders, so there may be options for aftermarket GPU's. I just don't think Apple is going to offer them as BTO options. It will be up to Nvidia, AMD, etc. to come up with their own solutions to fill that hole.

It may also be that Apple offers a dual configuration for RAM, such that the Mx Pro chip has its own onboard RAM (something like 16-32GB) and the system offers expansion slots for more RAM, albeit possibly slower. I have no idea the technical feasibility of such things, but it could be the way they are going.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 13:10

Wow, big heavy Mac news kinda day. So nice to see after so many months/years(?) of not. This is the stuff I like reading/talking about.

Sorry, but I can only get so worked up over a phone (and watch bands, TV/Oprah stuff, services, pencils, etc.).

I sometimes need some meat with my taters.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-18, 14:46

Apple has a long way to go GPU wise to beat the GPUs in the Mac Pro. Apple’s little IGPs cannot even touch what they have been getting from AMD. I doubt that will change, not the first go around anyway. Not including a high end GPU would kill the desire from the target market to get a Mac Pro in the first place, most of those are video editors for big movies.