Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Pantone is Leaving Adobe

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pantone is Leaving Adobe
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-12, 17:29

Sounds like Pantone is making a play for their share of the pie. Wonder if Adobe will attempt to compete in that space? Why wouldn't they? It'll be a tough time. We will pay the price for now.

https://creativepro.com/pantone-colo...he-adobe-apps/

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-12, 19:13

Never heard of it…
¡Damned!

2022-01-12, 19:37

Wonder why it's sticking around for Affinity and others?

Also it doesn't sound like it'll go away from previous versions, just future. Still some shit though... at least I have my books.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-12, 19:40

Maybe you can answer my curiosity, 709.

I never understood what was special in the digital world about Pantone color definitions. In my mind, they're just another needless abstraction on top of the underlying hex/decimal color codes for CMYK or RGB or HSV or any of the other digital encodings. Other than providing a reference for legacy color systems, what value does Pantone bring to modern digital graphics?

For that matter, what's to stop someone from hosting a bunch of "Pantone to CMYK/RGB/etc." lookup tables? I'm guessing Pantone is pretty litigious, though, from some vague memory I have of them attacking something that used some of their color names or codes, but is that pretty much it?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2022-01-12, 20:19

They're mostly used as a printing (like, physically printed) color guide in which you can print colors otherwise unprintable via CMYK or reproducible digitally. To do this you have to use mixtures of what's known as Pantone Basic Colors, which are proprietary ink colors that only Pantone licenses and what you pretty much have had to use for the last decades if you wanted to print an exact color. Specified, of course, by a proprietary Pantone color formula using their inks.

So, for example, if you want a nice orange in CMYK land, you specify a number between 0 and 100 of both magenta and yellow. In Pantone land, you specify PANTONE 164, which is a 3-ink mixture of Pantone Yellow, Pantone Warm Red and Pantone Transparent White in specified quantities. You can't match nearly a third of Pantone Colors any other way than to use Pantone inks. CMYK just wont match the vibrancy or depth.

It's become the default. Every company, every sports team, pretty much every logo out there has a brand guide that specifies the colors by Pantone numbers. To really show what you're specifying when you tell your client 'Pantone 2995 U', you need to buy an assortment of swatch books from Pantone in which every color is printed on uncoated (U) and coated (C) stock, proprietary metallics, specialty colors, etc. They run a few hundred dollars each depending on what you need.

The value Pantone brings to the digital world is that it's the worldwide default color reference standard, and that most Pantone colors can be defined closely enough via CMYK, RGB, Hex, whatever. Pantone will sell you a solid to process swatch book and/or just a book of process color (CMYK) helpfully numbered with Pantone's proprietary color combinations.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2022-01-12 at 20:30.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-12, 20:22

What an interesting way to corner the color print market.

Thanks for the explanation!
¡Damned!

2022-01-12, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What an interesting way to corner the color print market.
Not just plain old paper printing either, for fabric designers there's swatch books printed on 100%cotton, poly, nylon, etc. For industrial designers there's plastic chips with tints and even transparencies. If it has a color, Pantone is somehow involved in trying to label and monetize it.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-12, 22:06

I'm glad that Grey did that so that I didn't have to - masterful, concise explanation.

They "cornered the market" over the course of many decades and are so deeply entrenched that it's unlikely that Adobe would be able to easily move into that market - the best solution would be to BUY Pantone from Xrite (which paid $107M back in 2007).

It's a really interesting industry-specific issue.

my first posting from my new MBP M1x

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-13, 09:20

Sounds like Adobe will get a taste of their own medicine.