User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

The Best Photo Management Option for the Mac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Best Photo Management Option for the Mac?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-03-20, 21:41

I am in dire need of a great photo management app for the Mac. I had been using Aperture for 4+ years after moving up from iPhoto. I have over a decade of annual Aperture libraries with all of my photos.... over 4TBs of Photos....

I am using Apple Photos for my photos from the last 1-2 years but there is no way for me to use it for my entire photo archive/catalog as Apple's biggest iCloud plan is just 1TB.

What options do I have? I feel burned by Apple and Aperture and especially by it's proprietary library storage.

What is the best app out there that organizes it's library via standard Finder file structure so that if development of the app ends, my library is still left in a somewhat sensible file storage state?

It's amazing how difficult it is to find something :-\. Apple is really dropping the ball when it comes to photo storage. I know most people don't have 4TBs of photos to store, but that scenario is not too far off from being common with 12MP iPhone photos and 4K 120FPS iPhone videos, Live photos, and soon dual lens photos which may also be live. It's not unreasonably to expect iPhone 7S Plus photos to be over 20MB each uncompressed.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-20, 23:33

I'm pretty sure the Lightroom allows for importing of Aperture and it's basic data set too. PB PM will likely come on and set the facts straight on this. I'm going to end up switching to Lightroom, I just haven't bothered to yet since I'm not taking many pics with my DSLR these days.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-03-21, 00:15

My sense is that the only serious contender to Aperture is still Lightroom.

Emulsion

Capture One

Media Pro 1 Photo Manager

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-03-21, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm pretty sure the Lightroom allows for importing of Aperture and it's basic data set too. PB PM will likely come on and set the facts straight on this. I'm going to end up switching to Lightroom, I just haven't bothered to yet since I'm not taking many pics with my DSLR these days.
Lightroom does have an import system, but I have not used it. I used a third party App called Exporter for Aperture to get my files out of Aperture Libraries, since it gives the use more options in terms of image quality and file type. Lightroom's exporter only allows for jpegs IIRC, while the previously mentioned app allows for exports as TIFF's as well.

Overall Lightroom is still a poor replacement for Aperture, but it is better than "Photos", without a doubt. Is it better than the alternatives? I tried four or five different applications before switching and none of them blew me away. Aperture still has the better file management of any of them, by far. If Aperture's editing features were not so out of date, I'd still use it even though support ended last year.
DoratheSith

2018-12-09, 22:41

Hello,

I've recently come across this article on photo editing software for beginners. The list of software is quite huge I must admit. I believe these are the top Lightroom alternatives that can be found on the web. Have a look!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-10, 12:01

Filthy spammer!

My fancy idea still stands: Make it so new members cannot submit links until they have made at least 100 posts.

Or give me BAN POWERS!

Yeah, that'll do it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-12-10, 14:51

At this point, 2 posts is probably more realistic
DoratheSith

2018-12-10, 16:39

Witness the true Dark Side powers, you - non-believers!!! Seriously, guys, this is my first post and I tried to be helpful.
¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 16:44

No worries, we just had a wave of spam recently that's left us all a little jumpy. You've brought up a thread from a couple of years ago, but given that you don't have to scroll more than a page in TPP to get to 2016 I think you're in the clear. Welcome to AN.

So it goes.
DoratheSith

2018-12-10, 16:57

It was the most unusual "Welcome" I've ever experienced... but I think we can get along
¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 17:01

kscherer is our slobbering rottweiler. He will be watching.
DoratheSith

2018-12-10, 17:14

He messed with the wrong kitty

kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-10, 17:39

Well, time will tell.

Your first post being to an external site that sells stuff is the first red flag.

And if you're gonna be Dorathesyth, shouldn't you use the right meme?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)