User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Issue with *new* dual g5 2.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Issue with *new* dual g5 2.0
Andrzejjw

2005-05-07, 21:49

So i finally caved in and purchesed my first mac, after drooling over my gf e-mac that she got last year i caved in a purchased one of the new dual 2.0 power mac g5's as soon as my local apple store got one in stock. The issue that i am having with it is that while i am playing warcraft 3 frozen throne or any other 3d accelerated game my super quiet mac makes a high pitched noise. This problem is intermittent and does not happen all the time and does not happen when i am in tiger at all running any other applications. I have searched the internet and found only problems that are relating to the power supplies but the issues these people were having were persistent. I know the mac comes with a one year warranty and i will eventually buy the apple care, i would like to know if this is something i have to worry about or if it is a fan noise/driver? issue

Last edited by Andrzejjw : 2005-05-07 at 21:59.
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-05-08, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzejjw
So i finally caved in and purchesed my first mac, after drooling over my gf e-mac that she got last year i caved in a purchased one of the new dual 2.0 power mac g5's as soon as my local apple store got one in stock. The issue that i am having with it is that while i am playing warcraft 3 frozen throne or any other 3d accelerated game my super quiet mac makes a high pitched noise. This problem is intermittent and does not happen all the time and does not happen when i am in tiger at all running any other applications. I have searched the internet and found only problems that are relating to the power supplies but the issues these people were having were persistent. I know the mac comes with a one year warranty and i will eventually buy the apple care, i would like to know if this is something i have to worry about or if it is a fan noise/driver? issue
I am guessing here, not having heard the noise myself, but it could be the gfx card.

My tip would be: Go back to the store and talk with the people there, maybe they can even swap the card and see if that fixes the problem
Andrzejjw

2005-05-08, 02:41

I might just sawp out the whole thing, since i am within my return period and just get another unit. Thx for the info
Andrzejjw

2005-05-08, 14:04

So i called the apple store that i bought the pc, and they tell me that they are going to have a tech look over the machine and repair the issue. Granted i have till the seventeenth of this month to return the unit. I replied associate x that i just recently purchased the unit and would prefer that it be exchanged for a nib unit, associate x replies that they would fix the unit. I can not beleive this, i am within my return period and they are telling me that they are repairing it. What is my best line of recourse? Do i call apple care (which i have not done yet) or lug the powermac box back to the store (unit weighs in what feels about 40 pounds) and end up leaving it for repairs!?!?!. Any further advice would be appreciated
Andrzejjw

2005-05-10, 08:29

*Update* Issue has been resolved by disabling nap, if anyone else is having a problem with their noisy mac this tool will probably resolve that

http://xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_noise_tips.html

Last edited by Andrzejjw : 2005-05-10 at 12:24.
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-05-10, 12:24

I was going to suggest that. Glad you found the solution