AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Is it impossible?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is it impossible?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-03-02, 03:44

To make a thread in speculation and rumours without getting it locked?
One of Brad's recent closures was "this is just speculation....". Hello? This is the rumors and speculation forum! All the posts are just speculation built on not much actual fact normally, and if all the threads get closed all the time, then we just have the same old threads sticking up at the top. Ok, I know there needs to be order, but this seems a really weird amount of power that Brad is using. shame
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-02, 03:50

Read the Posting Guidelines.

Quote:
The purpose of the Speculation and Rumors forum is to contain focused technical and aesthetic speculation about future hardware and software products from both Apple and third parties.

Threads consisting of unsubstantiated individual predictions about upcoming products are not allowed. Threads that are blatant trolls, offer no content, or are redundant will be locked.
The forum is not for making up a discussion that has little or no logical basis is the real world. If you want to make up "fantasy" stories about future products, go to MacRumors or AppleInsider or some other community.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-03-02, 03:51

There's a difference between baseless/pointless speculation and what the forum was created for.

Example - Starting a thread speculating about the possibility of a PowerBook G5.

edit: Oh sure, quote the posting guidelines.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-03-02, 04:06

Let's take a look at the locked threads on page 1 of the speculation forum:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14317 - This one is just someone splitting hairs and trying to construct something out of nothing. It was open for a while, but eventually we decided to lock it because it didn't really have any useful purpose.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14328 - This one is an obvious fake, and we don't really feel like putting discussion of known fakes in the speculation forum. I mean, this is speculation - determining whether things are fake or real. If they're real, we lock the thread and encourage people to post about them in either Apple Products or Third-Party Products. If they're fake, we lock them.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14312 - This one was started by a troll who got a temporary ban for being a jerk. The thread got kind of derailed so it was time for it to end.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14266 and http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14082 and http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14284 were all started before Tuesday and are intended to speculate on what might be released at the event. Since the event has already happened, they have now lived out their useful life.

We always have good reasons for locking threads. It can be difficult to keep the forum organized - making sure we channel discussion to the right areas and prevent redundant threads. Sometimes we merge two similar threads together, other times we just lock one. We often have to move stuff from one forum to another. And in many cases, the thread either devolves into crapdom or lives out its useful life, at which point it needs to be locked. Our job can be difficult at times (and remember, it NEVER pays), and it doesn't help when people like you get angry at us for some unspecified reason and immediately jump to the conclusion that we're using "a really weird amount of power."

If you have a specific issue you feel you need to address with a mod or an admin, send that person a private message. We will probably not be offended as long as you're not a jerk. When you post things like this publicly and jump to conclusions or use a sarcastic tone, you don't exactly do a lot for your credibility or for our opinion of you.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-03-02, 04:13

I understand that, Luca,and Im not trying to be sarcastic, but I just think, you know, this is a fun forum, and some of these threads, maybe a little ridiculous and non feasible, but they offer good scope for discussion. I jsut thought it might be good to let these threads run their natural course...it just seems very strict, tis all.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-02, 09:32

Also keep in mind that just after an Apple event is when the Speculation and Rumors section gets the most keen scrutiny. There will be more locks then than any other time.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-03-02, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by farenheit
this is a fun forum
What do you mean this is fun?

This is AN. It's not meant ot be fun! It's deadly serious!

If you have come here for fun.. You've come to the wrong place sunny jim!

Give me 10... Heck... Gimme 20. Now!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-03-02, 15:55

So, in the Speculations forum I couldn't start a thread about a product that's technically feasable and could be in Apple's future but no other rumor site has started a rumor on it so it's considered baseless fantasy and would get locked?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-02, 16:02

That's up to the staff's discretion.

Do we really need to lay out every single scenario? Is it so hard to tell the difference between intelligent, logical speculation and not?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-03-02, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That's up to the staff's discretion.

Do we really need to lay out every single scenario? Is it so hard to tell the difference between intelligent, logical speculation and not?
Well you did quote this:
Quote:
The purpose of the Speculation and Rumors forum is to contain focused technical and aesthetic speculation about future hardware and software products from both Apple and third parties.

Threads consisting of unsubstantiated individual predictions about upcoming products are not allowed. Threads that are blatant trolls, offer no content, or are redundant will be locked.
which is why I asked. I could come up with a very plausible future product prediction (OMG! touchscreen iPod! 10.4" MacBook mini with stylus, touchscreen & inkwell throughout!), but without the idea appearing anywhere else it is an unsubstantiated individual prediction.

This is why I asked. Otherwise I never would've even posted in this thread.

Oh yeah, and to say, "It's Fahrenheit".
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-02, 16:16

A random blogger somewhere wanking off onto his keyboard about some kewl new product isn't exactly adding much credibility, anyway. I started my experimental birthday thread soliciting informed guesses in part to find out if that would work. We'll see ...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-02, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
I could come up with a very plausible future product prediction (OMG! touchscreen iPod! 10.4" MacBook mini with stylus, touchscreen & inkwell throughout!), but without the idea appearing anywhere else it is an unsubstantiated individual prediction.
Well, think of what that key word "unsubstantiated" means. Unjustified. Without foundation or reason. Unsupported by evidence. If your prediction is well thought and reasoned, it would probably not be unsubstantiated.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-03-02, 20:09

OK, I gotcha now. It's not like I was gonna start a million OMGWTFBBQ! iJog! threads anyway. I wouldn't mind taking a couple of well-reasoned stabs in the dark though. Although I don't think I've ever seen a "this would be an awesome product!" post ever become a real product yet.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-06, 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Although I don't think I've ever seen a "this would be an awesome product!" post ever become a real product yet.
That is because, contrary to the poster's opinion, they would not be awesome products
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-03-06, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
That is because, contrary to the poster's opinion, they would not be awesome products