User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Ultra Hardcore Minecraft Tournament!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Ultra Hardcore Minecraft Tournament!
Page 7 of 10 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-09, 17:58

Oh, also...

Part 4 is up!

AppleNova UHC 1: Team Cyan (part 4)

and if you're all well-behaved, you might get the final chapter tonight before bed!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-06-09, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

HAH!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-09, 18:10

The bears got a rise out of that.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-09, 18:50

here's the other side

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-09, 19:28

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Robo again."
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-09, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oh, also...

Part 4 is up!

and if you're all well-behaved, you might get the final chapter tonight before bed!

GENIUS editing... a cliffhanger every time!!

Not sure how you did it because it seems to be exactly how it happened with no parts left out....

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-09, 21:38

Quote:
Merry Festivus to all, and to all a good night!

Part five the finale is up!

AppleNova UHC 1: Team Cyan (part 5)

Also, at work today, gerlocian clued me in to the fact that Team Purple had not one but two arguably cheating advantages. Not only did they have an invisible man on the team, but they also apparently had a man on the team who could see distant entities (read: my team) through invisible/unloaded chunks. Tsk tsk. I feel a lot less bad about losing now, though I'm starting to think about what measures we can enact to prevent such abuse in the next round.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-09, 21:49

For what it's worth, I did comment on how cheaty it was that I could see things like that. It's that stupid slow-loading texture bug that's been around for ages; possibly related to the server load issues or something. Next time I'll try a logout/login cycle and see if that fixes it.

Also: we originally spotted Drew by his nametag, not 'cheaty-vision' (as may have been implied), before I saw the two of you in the tower. For the record, I did feel remorse after we brutally murdered you.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-09, 21:56

Spec: Less excuse-making and more video-posting!!!!!!

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-09, 21:58

Re-uploading Episode 2 as we post – now without 20 minutes of dead air at the end! (It's not my fault Brad keeps setting unrealistic expectations by posting his entire series in like two days! )
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-09, 22:20

Thanks for making all those videos, Brad! They were fun.

I got so tense during the last one, knowing that you were all doomed. That's why I could never do one of these, I'd be a bundle of nerves the whole time! Also, I don't want you all to find out I'm secretly terrible at videogames

But it's fun to live vicariously through your videos. Team Cyan 4eva <3 <3

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-09, 23:04

The bundle of nerves is half the fun, though.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 00:01

It was nice to see how things went down as the Invisible Man knocked you both off the tower!!

It's too bad there isn't video of me all alone, down below, channeling my rage to avenge my fallen comrades.

Do we know WHY Dellphi wasn't showing up on the player list (making us think he was dead) and WHY he was invisible to all but his own team (making us think he didn't exist)?

It would be really, really good to prevent future glitches that might create invisible players.
This first time around we don't much mind because it was just so much fun to get to play the game, but in future people might feel cheated.

Also, should the entire TEAM get a badge, or should it just be Dellphi? (a question he posed earlier today on the phone)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 00:14

Hey, Spec's 2nd video is up now AT THIS LINK.

My initial observations are that Spec was playing WAAAAY more conservatively* than I'd have ever expected!

*even more old school Captain Drew style than Captain Drew

Captain Drew on Twitter
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-10, 00:19

I lost more than half my hearts to a spider, a skellie, and gravity in the first fifteen minutes, what did you expect?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-10, 00:24

Whatever happens in the future, "invisible men" need not apply!

Also, I loved seeing that list of people left and seeing Jess in there. The whole time Brad was narrating, Jess was loping around on her horse, just keeping the village in sight. Every time Brad said he "saw someone", I kept thinking, "crap, he saw her!" even long after it was all over.

Great videos so far, guys. Can't wait to see SpecMode's close up of Jess killing Gerlocian just before he slaughters my baby girl.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I lost more than half my hearts to a spider, a skellie, and gravity in the first fifteen minutes, what did you expect?
Hey, nobody said the smack talk was over!!!!

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-10, 01:02

Man, I'm not sure I even want to post the rest of my footage – y'all probably won't even invite me to the next UHC!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-10, 09:16

Nah, you're fine. It's that invisible guy that might not get the re-invite.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 09:32

Just remembered...

HEY BRAD

Your linkz to our 5th episode go to Episode 4.

gerlocian

2014-06-10, 10:19

Quote:
Man, I'm not sure I even want to post the rest of my footage – y'all probably won't even invite me to the next UHC!
I don't know. I don't think you had cheaty vision seeing as how the rest of the game you couldn't see more than 3 blocks in front of you. I think it balances out.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 10:52

Post it!! Let US be the judge of how cheaty you guys were!!

I want to see how we died from your viewpoint!

Edit: and the invisible man...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-10, 10:55

I'd love to see Dellphi's perspective. As you can see from the 5th vid, I'm hit by something invisible.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-10, 11:55

I wonder if I might make a suggestion for next time. Maybe I'm an idiot and have no idea what I'm talking about, but here goes anyway.

It seems to me that all four groups were spawned simultaneously in 4 different areas of a large map (2000 x 2000?) and then began moving the second they spawned. Thus, the server was having to draw chunks from the perspective of 11 different players in four different areas and was having difficulty instantly drawing no less than 11 x ? chunks all at once. We all immediately went to work chopping away at wood and ore in chunks that weren't yet finished rendering. From my perspective, everyone was having lag issues. At first, it took no less than three or four attempts to hack out one block. As the game progressed and more chunks loaded, it became two or three attempts, then one or two, then one after about 15-20 minutes. Clearly the server was overloaded with so many players frantically working within chunks that weren't rendered, yet.

So, with that in mind, I have this suggestion: Rather than spawning us all together for "orientation", why not drop us into our respective locations for "orientation" (say, 15 minutes) to give the server time to load the chunks (but see below). To prevent "cheating" is there a way to force all players into an "observation mode" (where no blocks can be mined) until go time? Obviously, there is also the gentleman's agreement not to start exploring or chopping until go time.

Would this give the server time to react to our presence?

Also,

1) I think the 2-hour format for the tournament was perfect. Personally, I don't like long, drawn-out games that drag on and on. The two hours went by in a flash and we were all done (actually) in less time than that. I didn't even mind getting bounced early since others were already in the chat and we were sharing stories and laughing and I was helping the kid and such.

2) Can we have a "check-in" to report that all players are materially "there" and accounted for? I never saw Delphi on the list, and lost any awareness that he was even playing. The end result was that he had the coolest non-cheating "cheat" advantage in the history of gaming. I think this "check-in" could be accomplished easily with a quick 5-minute group gathering to count heads, then blast us off for a 15-minute "orientation" to give the server time to catch up?

The tournament was awesome and I can see it evolving to become our own, unique AN thing.

Here's to next time!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-10, 18:14

Quote:
Post 'em! I'd love to see as many perspectives on the game as possible, glitchy or not.

How about this: The next time, if anyone is having client problems, just say so in the in-game text chat. Take a moment to disconnect and reconnect. Maybe call it a false start and get a do-over or something? I'm sure we can work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Just remembered...

HEY BRAD

Your linkz to our 5th episode go to Episode 4.
Whoops! Thanks. Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I'd love to see Dellphi's perspective. As you can see from the 5th vid, I'm hit by something invisible.
I'm also baffled as to how I caught fire because the whole time I was standing one block *above* the lava, standing on the enchanting table. Maybe they don't count as full height and treat you like you're still on the ground? I don't know, but I'm going to find out. I must experiment with replicating that scenario tonight.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-10, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
So, with that in mind, I have this suggestion: Rather than spawning us all together for "orientation", why not drop us into our respective locations for "orientation" (say, 15 minutes) to give the server time to load the chunks (but see below). To prevent "cheating" is there a way to force all players into an "observation mode" (where no blocks can be mined) until go time? Obviously, there is also the gentleman's agreement not to start exploring or chopping until go time.
Not a bad idea, but I prefer the other idea that someone mentioned in the voice chat (I think) immediately after the game: force MC to generate the 2024x2024 area *before* we even start the game. There are third-party apps that can do that (can't remember the name; I know turtle used one once before to find a mooshroom island in a previous world), but the only question I'd have is would they support the new block types and terrain controls of the weekly snapshots. My guess is no, but it's worth investigating.

Quote:
1) I think the 2-hour format for the tournament was perfect. Personally, I don't like long, drawn-out games that drag on and on. The two hours went by in a flash and we were all done (actually) in less time than that. I didn't even mind getting bounced early since others were already in the chat and we were sharing stories and laughing and I was helping the kid and such.
Agreed! I was really worried about the clock/border early on, but even with the urgent escape from that one mountain, the pace seemed pretty good. I like that the moving border kept us on our feet. It meant we could never get too comfortable in any one place.

Quote:
2) Can we have a "check-in" to report that all players are materially "there" and accounted for? I never saw Delphi on the list, and lost any awareness that he was even playing. The end result was that he had the coolest non-cheating "cheat" advantage in the history of gaming. I think this "check-in" could be accomplished easily with a quick 5-minute group gathering to count heads, then blast us off for a 15-minute "orientation" to give the server time to catch up?
Also not a bad idea. I actually also meant to tell everyone beforehand to wait for me to give the signal before immediately running off to break blocks, but when I saw you and a few others were already snagging the Getting Wood achievement, I figured screw it it's go time already. Next time, let's definitely plan for a more formal and organized start. Maybe I'll have the server itself broadcast the "go" message.

Quote:
The tournament was awesome and I can see it evolving to become our own, unique AN thing.

Here's to next time!
Hear hear!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-10, 18:34

Also, what did you guys think about the boosted ore settings?

I think I mentioned in voice chat after the game that my thought process about that was that having more readily-available ores would allow us all to get better equipped so we could have more interesting encounters. I increased both the spawn attempt count and the maximum spawn height for most of the ores.

Yay? Nay? Did you even notice?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-10, 18:42

Quote:
It's too bad there isn't video of me all alone, down below, channeling my rage to avenge my fallen comrades.
At work the next morning, gerlocian described you as a friggin' berserker, that you came out swinging like an animal. I'm pretty sure you landed a few good hits on him.

Quote:
Do we know WHY Dellphi wasn't showing up on the player list (making us think he was dead) and WHY he was invisible to all but his own team (making us think he didn't exist)?
gerlocian also told me that Dellphi had multiple consecutive client crashes. My guess is that those crashes somehow screwed up the server's state of his player data. This is another reason we should have a check-in/head-count like Ken suggested.

Quote:
Also, should the entire TEAM get a badge, or should it just be Dellphi? (a question he posed earlier today on the phone)
In the end, he was the only one on his team to survive to the end, sooooo....

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 19:09

Quote:
I'm also baffled as to how I caught fire because the whole time I was standing one block *above* the lava, standing on the enchanting table. Maybe they don't count as full height and treat you like you're still on the ground? I don't know, but I'm going to find out. I must experiment with replicating that scenario tonight.
Don't be baffled.

Dellphi said he was UP THERE with you both - he either climbed the ladder or towered up there.

If you want to replicate it you're going to need to have Dellphi standing next to you, ready to knock the punk out of you!!

Quote:
At work the next morning, gerlocian described you as a friggin' berserker, that you came out swinging like an animal. I'm pretty sure you landed a few good hits on him.
Cool!! ..... I just wish that I'd gotten to them before they put on our enchanted armor!

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-10, 19:14

For the land generation tool I used in the past you were actually logged into the game issuing commands from within the game. This would mean any setting the active player would find would be in the world. Sadly, the world "touch" tool I used has long since been discontinued and likely doesn't support Anvil but I could always try for giggles.

Even if we all just stayed in but didn't break blocks for a few I would think the server would be able to handle the load better. Yeah, 4 major chunks generating from nothing was just too much for the server side java to handle. The load on the server was fine the whole time as was IO. Maybe I can over-clock the CPU some....or upgrade it. I'll look into the pricing for this. I like this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Also, should the entire TEAM get a badge, or should it just be Dellphi?
How about me for being runner up?? Actually I'm good with only the members left standing getting the badge. I think it's cool and wasn't expecting to see that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.