AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Got my new PB and some complains.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Got my new PB and some complains.
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-03-12, 00:21

Got my new PB today and.... Love it.

But two things I have to complain right now.

1. The mousebutton is tough to press, sometimes I think I press it but nothing happens.... Is this normal? Or should I complain?

2. Network connection is dicy... Seriously. I try to stream some music from my iBook and it has to stop to buffer Even when they are sitting right next to each other, reception seems to be a bit worse as well, anybody else having similar experiences?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-12, 00:36

Reception on the iBooks has always been better than on the PowerBooks. This is because the metal case impedes the signal. Basic physics.

As for the buffering issue, I've always noticed that notebook to router to notebook streaming very often incurs some buffering. I don't think you're alone with that. Remember, it's (probably) not streaming "directly" from your iBook; it has to go to back through the wireless router too. Depending on the speed of the router and the network traffic at a given time, this could cause small or large buffering delays.

Regarding the clicking, though, as long as you're pressing hard enough to hear that "click" sound, there shouldn't be any problems sending mouse down events. If you can regularly reproduce this problem, I would definitely suggest showing it to an Apple technician (easiest and cheapest would be at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
__^^__

2005-03-12, 10:02

Try making a computer to computer network connection and see what type results you get.
mkalus

2005-03-12, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Reception on the iBooks has always been better than on the PowerBooks. This is because the metal case impedes the signal. Basic physics.
I was expecting a bit worse wirless connection, it's more the buffering that really freaks me out a bit

Quote:
As for the buffering issue, I've always noticed that notebook to router to notebook streaming very often incurs some buffering. I don't think you're alone with that. Remember, it's (probably) not streaming "directly" from your iBook; it has to go to back through the wireless router too. Depending on the speed of the router and the network traffic at a given time, this could cause small or large buffering delays.
Actually, it is worse than that. The music isn't even on the iBook it's on my file server mounted via NFS into the iBook, then "broadcast" over the Aiport Extreme.

I think I may connect the iBook with a cable and see if the performance improves, this morning the iBook couldn't even stream to the Airport Express without breaking up

Quote:
Regarding the clicking, though, as long as you're pressing hard enough to hear that "click" sound, there shouldn't be any problems sending mouse down events. If you can regularly reproduce this problem, I would definitely suggest showing it to an Apple technician (easiest and cheapest would be at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store).
No Apple Store(s) in Canada as far as I know, at least not in small town Edmonton. I guess I have to talk with the Mac Store nearby, I just think the button is waaaay too hard to press in comparision to my iBook at least (or even the hated Dell at work).

Michael
mkalus

2005-03-12, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by __^^__
Try making a computer to computer network connection and see what type results you get.
Thanks,

I'll try that later, first I'll just use the normal Network interface on the iBook and see if that solves my issues.

Michael
mkalus

2005-03-12, 10:41

D'oh.

I just noticed something. My base station was called "Jupiter" but I had started to change the names of Wireless devices (not computers) to Moons in the Solar System, so I renamed it Io when I got the PB yesterday, what I DIDN'T do was to make the iBook aware that the name had changed. So it looks like the iBook was connecting to the Powerbook (which now identifies as Jupiter).

Let's see if I am right or not, but suddenly my reception on both the iBook and the Powerbook looks a lot better.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-12, 10:43

that's excellent news.