RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-11-28, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
UHC!!!!

Yes, please.

Rowdy, what recent version setups have you liked?

Have you seen the Hermitcraft 160+ person ones?

I'm kind of partial to the split up and join the first person you see type for a group our size.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-28, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The SW four chunks are kept because of the manmade mountain monument out there, but the last time I trimmed the world we marked these other three NE chunks to keep too. The only things I see there are a couple of villages and a few torches for what looks like a temporary mountain shelter. Otherwise, I don't see any other signs of life. Should I purge these three chunks too?
Scratch that... I just went out there to visit in person. The shelter is a little more than I thought, and it has a portal from the nether! "SpecMode's Mountain Hideaway"

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-28, 16:45

Also, I'm adding two chunks to the south so gren doesn't lose her island home!

¡Damned!

2015-11-29, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The SW four chunks are kept because of the manmade mountain monument out there, but the last time I trimmed the world we marked these other three NE chunks to keep too. The only things I see there are a couple of villages and a few torches for what looks like a temporary mountain shelter. Otherwise, I don't see any other signs of life. Should I purge these three chunks too?
The two chunks North of Spec you could. I think during the last purge I was out there with ideas of making that massive cave into something. No more.

There's a portal inside the cave somewhere, but it doesn't hook into the current Nether system.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-02, 02:07

The railroad is basically finished out to Southlantic Station (the south portal). It is currently one-way (drive on the right) to avoid bumper cars. From Bradtropolis to Southlantic Station, the line has been pretty-fied, lit, and is entirely ready to roll. Anyone who wants a ride can take the Nether Hub to the south portal, or to Bradtropolis. Have a ball!

Thoughts or ideas? Tell someone who cares.

Which would be all of us, right?

Also, Grey and I discussed the possibility of extending the line into town and building a station beneath the Needle, and then over to Bradtropolis beneath the street. Turtle has ok'ed the use of his line toward town, but we also need clear passage in and through town, as well as beneath the road out to Bradtropolis. We'll do some exploring to make sure nothing gets busted before we start digging.

Anyone have objections to that?

Also, Grey went all nutso and decided he was afraid of heights, so the line out to Southlantis will now run at 80 as opposed to 97 (the view is much better). The first tower has been lowered to accomodate said change, and he has built a wonderful little horsey garage at Southlantic Station for horseback entry onto the line. Awesome stuff.

By the way, when you have lots of pretty construction stuff all hammered out, make sure the place is closed off to the little green fellows. When two go off in rapid succession right behind you, the resulting landscaping isn't much to look at. Bastards!

Happy railways.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-02, 19:41

There are a number of chests laid out for supplies at Southlantic Station. If one o' you Brad's or Turtle's wants to stuff 'em up with goods, please do so.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-02, 19:43

Also, I see someone built a house out at Southlantis.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-03, 15:08

I think Bry built the house?

I've been having fun clearing the Fish Temple.

The big fat white fish stopped cursing me, so I assume he's dead? I got 8 gold blocks from that area.

I read there are more wings to the temple? Does that mean more fat cursey fish?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-03, 16:13

There will always be three. One at the very top, and one in each "foot".
¡Damned!

2015-12-03, 17:03

I trekked out there from CC by foot again this morning to mark some high spots and general areas of interest. In doing so I found that 84 seems to be the right height for the rail, accounting for occasional stations along the way.

It has been adjusted now, with Ken laying gray clay like a madman. If I hadn't stopped him he'd be to Southlantis by now.

I laid a path of signs on the way out with height and distance, so once the map gets updated we'll be able to talk stations. Fun stuff.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-03, 17:30

House is mine. It's just a base while I noodle around. I have no strong attachment if that land is spoken for or is going to be wiped. Everything of value inside is in the Ender Chest so it won't go away if demolished.
¡Damned!

2015-12-03, 17:35

It will be wiped, but man, that's an impressive base, temporary or not. You have all sorts of things going on.

Also, you can 'call it' you know. It's a great spot. After the wipe it should be yours again. If you want it.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-03, 17:44

I'd like to see that whole lagoon get developed with little cottages and towers like that one. Be awesome! The lagoon IS Southlantis, you know. That's new "downtown".

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-04, 01:07

So, just FYI regarding the C.C. Southlantic Railways Southlantis line:

Grey and I laid rail to 250, 2048. Since everything south of 2048 is getting wiped with 1.9, take care not to construct anything you can't live without south of that marker. It will disappear.

I logged in tonight to check on something and found Bryson happily (and correctly) laying line past the 2048 marker. He was doing a great job, too. Damn, I hated to tell him it would all go POOF!

Bryson, thanks for the help. Seriously. Glad to see you on and taking the initiative to better the server. After the 1.9 upgrade, I look forward to seeing your sparkling armor busily laying track off to infinity (it's going almost that far).

However, if you want the practice, go ahead and lay track. Doesn't matter a lick to me.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-04, 03:02

It's REALLLLLLY laggy out there in Southlantis - what's the reason for that?

Fish?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-04, 10:45

It's you.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-04, 11:30

I knew it.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-04, 20:18

Not laggy for me down there. Must be that you have some clink in the stuffit expander.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-05, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Not laggy for me down there. Must be that you have some clink in the stuffit expander.
Oh man, I never thought I'd hear that product mentioned again. Gave me a genuine laugh.

Question time for everyone here!

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the map trim this weekend. Maybe do it tomorrow. Would anyone here have any objections to the last trimming overview I posted? Does anyone have any settlements that need to be vacated before I do?

This would be an early-pass trim to get the size of the map back under control some Turtle's awesome mapping program for mcmaps.applenova.com can resume normal function. I'd still be wiping out the same chunks in a few weeks (months?) whenever 1.9 actually finally drops. In the mean time, you could go harvesting resources and spelunking mines in those would-be dead chunks to your hearts content.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-05, 00:57

When should I abandon the southern area?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-05, 01:00

Can you selectively omit isolated chunks from the wipe? I don't mind my Southlantis home disappearing come 1.9, but it's useful for my "noodling" until then.... No disaster if not, worth an ask, though...

Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDCZmuo8Ws4&t=6m40s
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-05, 01:16

Yeah man, it's no trouble! All the trimming is done by a small shell script I wrote that operates on a simple list of chunk meta-coordinates. I just need to add another line to the list for whatever chunk we want to keep.

I tried looking for your house on mcmaps around Southlantis, but I didn't see it (probably since the maps aren't updating correctly). Would you mind taking a snapshot or circling it on the map?

¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 01:24

What time do you think you'll be trimming tomorrow? I have some coords posted on signs along the train route that I'd like to make some notes/screengrabs of.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-05, 01:28

Drew has a platform and a home on the island near the portal too.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-05, 01:38

OH please save the stupid f'ing underwater temple as well.

I have more fish to slaughter.

Frickwads.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-05, 13:26

Drew, you crack me up. Remind me to demonstrate my Monument Giant-fish-killing strategy.

I have no objections to whatever gets wiped. You might consider leaving the Southlantis chunk alone and wipe all the junk in between (after Grey gets his signs under control).

All of the other adventure "legs" should get slaughtered, since we've clearly decided on a direction for the rail. No need to keep those things around. I was spelunkering over in the East, but I'm done there and don't care about anything.

Besides, there are portals in the Nether to those chunks, so we can get back to them while staying "off the map" so to speak.

I say wipe everything excepting Southlantis. Then, I would suggest leaving that trail alone until 1.9. Grey has surveyed the route pretty thoroughly and his signs contain very good info for when it comes time to lay track. Otherwise, if we need out there, we can use the portal.

My two bits.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-05, 13:45

I'm all for the map being pruned. I'd also suggest just leaving the whole southern route in place though. No point in killing the markers and such along the way. It's not that heavy of a burden by itself on the map making side of things. It's all the four-corners and wandering added up that's making it tough.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 14:30

Could we keep the current render as a 'legacy' map ala BP and Sedona (etc.) with its own URL? It could be handy as a Pre-1.9 reference.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2015-12-05, 15:42

One more grid square (in red outline) to add to non-wipe status:

¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 16:06

With the software we use to wipe, is there a difference between 'trim' and 'reset'? Reason I ask is that ever since we trimmed the 1.7 world to go to 1.8 there are a few major anomalies I noticed afterwards.

Basically, every place that was explored in 1.7, then trimmed away and regenerated, has problems in 1.8. One, the mineshafts* no longer have Cave Spider spawners. The mass of cobwebs is still there, but no spawner. Two, any desert temples that were explored in 1.7 regenerated with no chests below. Three, the same thing happened to the Nether, where fortresses we explored in 1.7 now have no chests and no Blaze spawners at all.

So, I wonder if there's a flag or something that can be deleted in order to get those things back in 1.9. There's some new chest mechanics (Loot Tables) and whatnot, plus I expect the underground to get mixed up thoroughly what with Strongholds going from 3 to 128 and igloos having basements.

*I don't know if it affects the minecart chests, and oddly I've never stumbled on a dungeon without a spawner in 1.8, so maybe they have different values or mechanics or whatever.

There's a few Desert Temples out near the Dropper. Probably visit those to see if chests appeared.

So it goes.