User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

I saw realMyst in the iTunes store....

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I saw realMyst in the iTunes store....
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2012-06-17, 05:57

It makes me cry that hypercard studio was discontinued.

Just for the record, I hte all MYST games... but I loved "Cosmos" and have been looking for the CD of that game until intel macs came out and meant doom!

Edit: Maybe I'll take a look t my last PowerPC computer and see if I can fix it. I bet it was jut HDD failure and my three year computer cycle was up.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.

Last edited by cosus : 2012-06-17 at 06:00. Reason: Fixing my G4...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-17, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
Just for the record, I hte all MYST games...
chucker and Capella am cry.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-06-17, 09:39

Uh. Billions of dollars of blow is bad for you.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2012-06-17, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
*agonized sobbing*

Cosus, by "Cosmos", do you mean Cosmic Osmo, also by Cyan? Because if you do, there are several ways to legally acquire a copy (such as Steam).
Kyros

2012-06-18, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Uh. Billions of dollars of blow is bad for you.
Yah, weren't we all supposed to see a cut of this?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-06-18, 15:49

Quote:
I *loved* Myst. That was a fun weekend.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2012-06-18, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I *loved* Myst. That was a fun weekend.
As a kid, I'd played the wide plethora of educational games available at my school (Oregon Trail and the other Trails, Operation Neptune, several Super Solvers games...), but Myst was my first exposure to more mainstream video games. I played through it with my best friend and occasional hints from her mother, and while parts of it were over my head, the act of picking out a story solely by what was left behid was infectious. Then Riven came out and then her mom got the books, and I was forever down the rabbit hole. It was not the first thing I would say I was a fan of, but it was my first experience with participating in actual fandom with other people. I went from tentatively posting on a forum to moderating that forum, and now I'm doing an academic project on community within online fandoms that will be my college capstone. The amount of influence that game and its successors has had on my life is immeasurable.

Also, it has brought me many a fantastic friend.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-19, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
As a kid, I'd played the wide plethora of educational games available at my school (Oregon Trail and the other Trails, Operation Neptune, several Super Solvers games...), but Myst was my first exposure to more mainstream video games. I played through it with my best friend and occasional hints from her mother, and while parts of it were over my head, the act of picking out a story solely by what was left behid was infectious. Then Riven came out and then her mom got the books, and I was forever down the rabbit hole. It was not the first thing I would say I was a fan of, but it was my first experience with participating in actual fandom with other people. I went from tentatively posting on a forum to moderating that forum, and now I'm doing an academic project on community within online fandoms that will be my college capstone. The amount of influence that game and its successors has had on my life is immeasurable.

Also, it has brought me many a fantastic friend.
That's sweet.

But god damn, that fucking pipe puzzle.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-06-19, 11:01

Quote:
That's sweet.

But god damn, that fucking pipe puzzle.
Is that the one with the gears that had to be turned? That one drove me nuts.

Wrote a quick Prolog script to solve it.

Used the script in the programming languages class I was teaching the next day as an example of 'the right tool for the right job'... Most of them had never seen a functional language before.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-19, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Is that the one with the gears that had to be turned? That one drove me nuts.
Maybe? It was in the age with all the trees — "Channelwood," I think? — and there were pipes all along all the paths, and you had to walk all over the place turning valves to direct water different places, and I remember it being really tedious.

But I'm not sure that was the hardest one. Wasn't there one where you had to navigate a maze in a vehicle, guided by chimes? Like, the vehicle would come to a stop, and a chime would play, and you were supposed to eventually gather that the different chimes meant you should go in different directions. That one I had trouble with.

The library computers didn't have sound.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2012-06-19, 11:22

Quote:
Maybe? It was in the age with all the trees — "Channelwood," I think? — and there were pipes all along all the paths, and you had to walk all over the place turning valves to direct water different places, and I remember it being really tedious.

But I'm not sure that was the hardest one. Wasn't there one where you had to navigate a maze in a vehicle, guided by chimes? Like, the vehicle would come to a stop, and a chime would play, and you were supposed to eventually gather that the different chimes meant you should to in different directions. That one I had trouble with.

The library computers didn't have sound.
The Selenitic mazerunner is sound-based, so not having a soundcard would not have helped at all. It also is much more of a pain if you haven't finished Mechanical first, because in order to solve Mechanical you learn the sounds that correspond with compass directions. If you go to Selenitic first, though, you get to figure out by trial and error. Hell, I know how to solve it and I still screw up if I try to do it by ear.

The worst puzzle in Myst or Riven, as far as I'm concerned, is the fucking "waffle iron" that powers Linking Books in Riven. I am well aware of the theory behind it, and it does make logical sense, but fuck that shit I'm cheating it every single time.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-19, 11:41

I never got that far in Riven.

I liked Myst, though. It blew me away when I played it. It was just so new, like with the graphics (would you believe it came out before Doom?), and the first-person perspective, and such. The environments were really artful and atmospheric, and I liked the idea of worlds inside of books and such. It's been so long since I played it, though...I doubt I would remember the answers to most of the puzzles. I guess that'd be ideal, though, if I wanted to play through it again!
rampancy

2012-06-19, 18:50

If any of you have a Windows install handy, GOG is selling Myst Masterpiece Edition for $2.39, as part of their Battle of the Games summer promo. I'd buy it myself but sadly the Masterpiece Edition apparently doesn't play very well with WINE or CrossOver.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi