User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes Movie Store in the UK

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes Movie Store in the UK
Mikester

2006-09-13, 03:27

Is the movie content available in the US yet? I've downloaded iTunes 7 and couldn't find any movies (in the UK). Still no TV shows either. Seems like Apple is ignoring an enormous part of its market....

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
bonoere

2006-09-13, 03:47

Movies should be in the UK in 2007 according to Steve. We cant have TV shows because of licensing issues.
neiltc13

2006-09-13, 04:56

And we can't have UK TV shows either because nobody seems interested in putting them online.

I'd pay good money to iPod Coronation Street, Doctors, How Clean Is Your House?, Deal Or No Deal etc.
Mikester

2006-09-13, 05:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
And we can't have UK TV shows either because nobody seems interested in putting them online.

I'd pay good money to iPod Coronation Street, Doctors, How Clean Is Your House?, Deal Or No Deal etc.
UK TV shows would be nice - however, it would also be great to have US shows, esp. the ones you can't see here (unless you have Sky).

I guess the problem is that UK channels license the shows after they have been shown in the US and so having them on iTunes would weaken the "exclusivity" in the UK and so the value of those channels' licenses.

It still stinks though.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-09-13, 09:50

It would be nice to have access to the current season of Doctor Who rather than always being one season behind here in the states ...or finding the shows via nefarious means.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2006-09-13, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoere View Post
Movies should be in the UK in 2007 according to Steve. We cant have TV shows because of licensing issues.
Can I have a source for the 2007 quote from Jobs please? I haven't read anything on the record from him about this.

Thanks.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2006-09-13, 19:11

Or you could do what I just did on my recent trip to the states. Went to target and loaded up on iTunes US gift cards, then made up a new account and credited with the gift cards so now I have US Music store access from the UK
Is it 1981?

2006-09-13, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequicksilver View Post
Can I have a source for the 2007 quote from Jobs please? I haven't read anything on the record from him about this.

Thanks.
He said it would go international in 2007 during the keynote.

As for UK TV shows on iTunes, who'd want to really? I put this clip of Charlie Brooker showing our UK telly to the Yanks and gauging their reactions to it on YouTube a little while ago... I love Charlie.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
neiltc13

2006-09-13, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
He said it would go international in 2007 during the keynote.

As for UK TV shows on iTunes, who'd want to really? I put this clip of Charlie Brooker showing our UK telly to the Yanks and gauging their reactions to it on YouTube a little while ago... I love Charlie.
I think you're missing my point. I want UK TV Shows on sale to UK residents. Heck, they should probably get the BBC to publish theirs free or at a significant discount given that we do pay for it anyway.
Is it 1981?

2006-09-13, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
I think you're missing my point. I want UK TV Shows on sale to UK residents. Heck, they should probably get the BBC to publish theirs free or at a significant discount given that we do pay for it anyway.
I forgot to put a in my original post. I know the examples Charlie uses are deliberatly bad

I think the BBC are in the middle of a pilot scheme where the chosen subjects are able to download certain programmes and watch them up to a week after transmission... well it's something like that... it's late and my brain is a little fried.

Helvetica is my bitch.
havaska

2006-09-14, 04:45

That's correct, the BBC are planning on making a vast majority of their programmes available to watch for free online, if you have a UK IP address. I mean, we've already paid for it after all.

I do think that the BBC could make a mint if they put their programmes on sale on iTunes in the US. I know the americans might not like certain shows of theirs but things like Dr Who will always have a niche market, and the cost of putting it online is minimal. I think the biggest trump card that BBC have though are their documentaries.

If you haven't seen their programme "Planet Earth" then you don't understand what the BBC is really about. Without a doubt it is the most beautiful thing you can probably watch on television at the moment - and all in HD!

Edit: Just watched the video on youtube, very amusing! Don't quite think it is scientific though, hehe. Specifically bad and niche programmes were shown! When I say that the US would like UK TV I mean proper UK TV programmes! We all know americans like Monty Python, why not put that online I still think the BBC are sitting on a goldmine...

Last edited by havaska : 2006-09-14 at 04:54. Reason: added extra comment
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-09-14, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
I know the examples Charlie uses are deliberatly bad

Bad? Countdown is bloody genius, man!

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-09-14, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Countdown is bloody genius, man!
Damn right! I remember coming home from school and watching Countdown over a bowl of cornflakes. But I was a strange child.

In all seriousness though, Countdown has been going for longer than any other Channel 4 programme: since 1982 when the channel was launched. It's a cult show if ever there were one, and Richard Whiteley played no small part in making it so. In my wildest dreams I visualise a Countdown teapot sitting pretty in my home.
Is it 1981?

2006-09-14, 10:01

I used to watch Countdown after school as well - ah, the big clock and the music did so much when I was a kid

And in case you weren't there, here's the intro to the very first edition. Love the music!

Helvetica is my bitch.