AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes/App Store questions.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes/App Store questions.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-17, 23:57

OK, I have a few questions. Some of them are for me (guess which ones ), and some are for a friend.

Do you need to have a credit/debit card to get an iTunes Account? Can you use prepaid iTunes cards exclusively? Can you download "free" things without giving info for any cards, of any kind?

I want to say that you don't have to have a credit card, because you can get an iTunes account at 13, right? But I wasn't quite sure.

OK, App Store. You can buy apps using iTunes cards, right? Is there a site where you can browse the (full) App Store online, or is it only in iTunes? Finally, is there any return policy? (Sorry if that last one makes you LOL but on the Android Market you can "return" any download within 24 hours for full credit.)

I'm so excited for my iPhone! I don't know what I'll download first. Probably something boring like Remote.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-03-18, 00:37

Quote:
Do you need to have a credit/debit card to get an iTunes Account? Can you use prepaid iTunes cards exclusively? Can you download "free" things without giving info for any cards, of any kind?
IIRC, a credit or debit card was at one point required to create an iTunes account. Not sure if this is the case anymore but I believe so. My girlfriend wanted to use the "Get Album Artwork" feature but it requires an account and she couldn't create one with a card. Not sure about gift cards though.

Quote:
OK, App Store. You can buy apps using iTunes cards, right? Is there a site where you can browse the (full) App Store online, or is it only in iTunes? Finally, is there any return policy? (Sorry if that last one makes you LOL but on the Android Market you can "return" any download within 24 hours for full credit.)
Yes, apps can be bought with gift cards, but there isn't any return policy so far as I know. A lot of developers, especially game developers, offer free "lite" versions which are essentially demos.

I don't know of any (official) web-based store browser. I've never seen one and links to iTunes apps always seem to just open iTunes, just like links to music and movies.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, but from what I recall when using my iPod Touch since June and downloading both free and paid apps.

Oh, and download Urbanspoon. Awesome app.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-18, 04:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Can you use prepaid iTunes cards exclusively?
Yes. (At least I can, so this used to work at some point. Maybe they changed it since?)

Quote:
Can you download "free" things without giving info for any cards, of any kind?
Yes.

Don't know anything about the App Store, though, but I assume the mechanisms are identical.
stratotom

2009-03-18, 04:17

On the UK store you can register a gift card to set up an account and bypass the credit/debit card part. Pretty sure there is no return policy on apps, so it pays to check out the reviews and see if there are free 'lite' versions.

You browse apps in iTMS, don't think anywhere else. Though it can be fun to riffle through some sites' 'Top 10 apps' etc. if you don't fancy checking through 15+ pages of apps.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-03-18, 10:39

Yes you can set up an account using only a prepaid iTunes giftcard - I did this the other week with for my Mother.

You can only browse Apps via iTunes.

I have never heard of any return policy. Given that most apps are in the $1-3 dollar range, it seems like the risk/reward ratio is pretty tolerable. I always read a handful of the reviews - at least a couple high and a couple of low ones to see if anything clicks with my way of thinking.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-03-18, 10:54

I only get free apps and I didn't have to input a credit card; I did, however, link to my PayPal.