Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

USB Sound Devices?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
USB Sound Devices?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-19, 13:41

I need to run a piece of software called Room EQ Wizard which requires better audio capabilities than what I have built into my PowerBook. I've heard reports that REW works well with various USB soundcards on Windows, so I'm wondering what similar devices work well on the Mac? All I need is basic line-level input/output.

From the help file:
Quote:
A soundcard (internal or USB external) which supports full duplex operation (simultaneous replay and recording) with line inputs and outputs. Inexpensive soundcards are typically adequate, a reference measurement is used to remove the soundcard's frequency response from the measurement. Examples of USB soundcards which have been found to work well are the Soundblaster MP3+, Soundblaster Live! 24-bit USB External and the M-Audio MobilePre-USB. Note that microphone inputs are NOT suitable and should not be used.
Has anyone used the Soundblaster Live with the Mac? Is that what I'm looking for? REW is a Java application which uses Core Audio for its input and the Java Sound Engine for output, FWIW.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-11-19, 14:27

iMic2? Not sure about the full duplex bit.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-19, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
iMic2? Not sure about the full duplex bit.
That seems like it should work. Perhaps I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work I'll return it and try something else.

edit: It appears the SoundBlaster Live is about the minimum for running this app, so now I just need to know if it works well with the Mac. Anyone out there use it? I assume it would, but i'd rather know for sure.

Last edited by Ryan : 2006-11-19 at 15:11.
rampancy

2006-11-20, 01:33

If you can still find them, you could try the Griffin PowerWave... I've also seen the Edirol UA-1EX, which might also be what you could use.

I've seen some comments on using the SoundBlaster Live USB version xlr8yourmac; in general, they seem to be pretty positive.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-20, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
If you can still find them, you could try the Griffin PowerWave... I've also seen the Edirol UA-1EX, which might also be what you could use.

I've seen some comments on using the SoundBlaster Live USB version xlr8yourmac; in general, they seem to be pretty positive.
Thanks. Soundblaster Live it is.