User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Deleted Mail messages not going to trash ==>but they're supposed to be??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Deleted Mail messages not going to trash ==>but they're supposed to be??
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-10-27, 19:16

I've got a co-worker who recently bought a MacBook (he's a new Apple convert). Anyhow, he's having a problem with his Trash folder in Mail - when he deletes messages, they don't show up in the trash folder: they just disappear.

He is using a POP mail account from his service provider, and he has his preferences set to never empty the trash, and also a preference set to delete the messages from the server after Mail downloads them.

There have been a few messages that actually did go to the Trash folder, but the vast majority of them are just gone when he hits delete.

Any ideas?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-10-29, 13:09

I'll bump this just once to see if anyone has any thoughts on where these deleted messages are going before I let it fade into oblivion.

Anyone???
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2007-10-29, 13:44

Does he have it set to store deleted messages on the server? (I'm not sure if this is an option in POP, but it is with IMAP)
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-10-29, 15:03

I don't recall seeing that as an option anywhere. The only option I recall was the "delete messages from server after downloading" (or something along that line).
Enki

2007-10-29, 18:37

Some rules set-ups can do this if the messages are supposed to be moved and the target folder doesn't exist or if the rules are set up into a loop. I avoid this by religiously incuding "stop evaluating rules" as the last component of every rule that deletes or junks mail.